Offline leburpor

• Loves Tom Cruise

Greetings all!

One of the cars I'm considering as a replacement of my M5 is the 996 Turbo. I'm looking for the 04 or later model. There are a few on CarSales.com but most are cabriolet. Are there known issues with the carbiolet? I've never owned a soft top before so any input would be appreciated. BTW, I do intend to track the car and use it in Classic Adelaide.. would a cabriolet be permitted for such events??

Offline waz356

Hey Aemel,

If you're thinking of tracking the car or doing CA then definitely spend the time looking for a coupe. Too much flex in a cabriolet and then there's the safety side it. Just my $0.02c - and that's pretty much all it's worth.

Oh, and I doubt CA would stop you competing in a cabriolet - that would mean giving you your money back.

Offline dkabab

Cabriolet would be fine for CA in the thoroughbred class, but maybe not in competition. There were/are plenty of convertibles in the event… mostly in the classic section.
As for tracking it…. I don’t see it as an issue being allowed to…. just would think twice maybe…. But that’s just me…. The whole rollover in a convertible thing would worry me.

Offline leburpor

• Loves Tom Cruise

thanks for the input guys. the safety aspect of it is a bit concerning, considering the type of driving I intend to do.. however, imagining driving with the top down during Tassie 2010 is kinda appealing too (until it starts raining that is..).

Offline waz356

thanks for the input guys. the safety aspect of it is a bit concerning, considering the type of driving I intend to do.. however, imagining driving with the top down during Tassie 2010 is kinda appealing too (until it starts raining that is..).

When has it ever NOT rained in Tassie.  :D

Offline M308

• Degranged

• Name: Scott Thomson
Great choice of upgrade (or change over depending on how you look at it) :thumbsup: Go the coupe, they look sooooo much better & if your going to track it, as you have said, much safer as well. Cabs are more of a posers car (sorry to the cab owners :p ) Good Luck in the hunt mate :D

Offline 993tits

• Pepé Le Porsche

Greetings all!

One of the cars I'm considering as a replacement of my M5 is the 996 Turbo. I'm looking for the 04 or later model. There are a few on CarSales.com but most are cabriolet. Are there known issues with the carbiolet? I've never owned a soft top before so any input would be appreciated. BTW, I do intend to track the car and use it in Classic Adelaide.. would a cabriolet be permitted for such events??

NO Aemel....NO....I wont allow it! They bend and twist like a peice of spaghetti....and they are awful. Now, a nice Turbo Coupe........mmmmmmm....tasty! But if you want the deal of the century, go and bend the arm of anyone trying to sell a 997 Turbo........you can buy those babies real cheap compared to their original price right now.........or you could tell me you want to buy the best 993 Turbo in the history of the world and then I will buy the 997 turbo.........that could work????? :scratchchin: :D
Always Gunna

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Hard tops pretty much always drive better than soft tops.  Although on a crisp clear morning in the Hills after rain, a soft top is pretty tempting. 

Convertibles are no fun on hot or even overly sunny days though - contrary to popular belief.

Bottom line, for you, hardtop.  :thumbsup:

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
The main thing when considering whether to buy a convertible or not, is how ugly you are?

:scratchchin:

:tilt:

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
NO Aemel....NO....I wont allow it! They bend and twist like a peice of spaghetti....

EXCUSE ME!

POlease keep your metaphors  about German cars AWAY from Italian references.

Porsche convertibles flex like raw bratwurst, if you don't mind.  :tilt: :tilt: