Offline Rat Boy

• 1158 : 143

:doh:

Not the smartest move... :melting:

Rat Boy,

Hmm, yes, let me check my bank account to go buy the GT3....oops! I am short by a long way!!!! can you make a donation to my cause? LOL...

The Cayman S Sport was all that I could afford (and I was already over-extended on finance!)...

Don't worry mate, just taking the piss...  :D
Cheers>>Jack

If you're not wasted, the day is.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

I'm not sure you'd even get an import approval for those cars. Too new, no RAWS?

There is no RAWS for any Porsche vehicles. But the PI could still be done for these, maybe.

As for conversions, these guys have been suggested, but no one I know have had anything to do with them.

http://www.autohaus911.com/

Offline shane

Hi there,

It would be awesome if you can share your experience with me as well. I am in the same situation in less than one year. Currently got a job and moving to Dubai. Would be good to know few Aussie down there.

Cheers
Shan

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al
Hi there,

It would be awesome if you can share your experience with me as well. I am in the same situation in less than one year. Currently got a job and moving to Dubai. Would be good to know few Aussie down there.

Cheers
Shan

I'm there in January man, can use an airport pickup if you've got something quick  :D
C'mon, do it!

Offline insect

Hi,

Has anyone heard anything further about a 996 LHD to RHD conversions being done in Australia?  Other than Autohaus, who could do these?  Any ideas on costs?

Thanks

Offline Excalibur Racing

• Drives: 997 GT3 Cup, Radical SR8 RX
The only Porsche that you should ever consider importing (given the Australian importation laws) is a 997 cup car or cup s. You can achieve some seriously great savings and will pay minimal tax given it is a dedicated racing car. No conversions necessary as all the cup cars in Aust are LHD.
That said, given the new 2011 model is in vogue all the 996 and pre-2011 997 cups are significantly cheaper purchased locally than 6mths ago so already represent good value for the eager new racing driver. (just bear in mind they cost a fortune to run and maintain properly!!!)

If you are considering bringing a LHD road-registered car in then absolutely forget it. The cost of conversion using Porsche genuine parts is outrageous.
In fact I reckon if you rebuilt a 997 from the ground up using dealer parts it would probably come to around 5 times the original price. So much for a strong AUD.

Best value is a 2-3yr old vehicle still under extended warranty. They do drop off the wall pretty quickly and will drive like new for a good 10 yrs if you treat them well. I am up to my 7th Porsche (3 from new) and really don't think I will buy another new given the farken outrageous 33% luxury tax.
Youth is wasted on the young...

Offline scud

• 300kph+ club
  • Rocket man

The only Porsche that you should ever consider importing (given the Australian importation laws) is a 997 cup car or cup s. You can achieve some seriously great savings and will pay minimal tax given it is a dedicated racing car. No conversions necessary as all the cup cars in Aust are LHD.
That said, given the new 2011 model is in vogue all the 996 and pre-2011 997 cups are significantly cheaper purchased locally than 6mths ago so already represent good value for the eager new racing driver. (just bear in mind they cost a fortune to run and maintain properly!!!)
2006 to 2009 997 cup cars were holding some of their value until the end of last year when carrera cup was reborn and 2011 cup cars arrived and a few 2006 to 2009 cup cars came onto the market as the owners were going to the new car and series. i still think 997 cup cars will hold some value while the GT3 cup challenge keeps running and the 2011 cup cars won't available to joe public not wanting to run in carrera cup till 2014. you can buy 2010 cup cars out of asia for around 90000 euros now but you can't compete in anything apart from club days.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Wait, did someone post something actually useful that didn't affect their bottom line?

Offline dkabab

Wait, did someone post something actually useful that didn't affect their bottom line?

Don't be silly, he is pumping up the value of the race car in his garage... :tilt:

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

What??? Why??? Does my arse look big in this???