Offline looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
I think that there's a few reasons for this:

1. they are still relatively quite new, meaning original owners from new are currently copping a hiding in depreciation.  Probably want to hold them a little longer and enjoy them.

2. they are still in warranty with low mileage and again owners are reluctant to sell.

3. No IMS bearing issues with the Gen II cars... so again, hard to find, hard to get, when owners that currently have them are reluctant to sell.

That's my take on it...

I thought they fixed the IMS issue on the 996.1's is that not the case? Verry disappointing from Porsche if they had the issue for another 8 years without addressing it

Offline Fil-Ski

• Drives: 993TT
I thought they fixed the IMS issue on the 996.1's is that not the case? Verry disappointing from Porsche if they had the issue for another 8 years without addressing it

Issue fixed on 997.2

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Another theory. It's too hard to find the right model on Carsales to list it correctly. Owners are giving up and will hand the cars on to their grandchildren.

Offline NBTBRV8

If you understand the models, then the current search protocols are fine on Carsales.  However if you didn't it could be a little confusing.

I reckon they should combine the 911 and 911 carerra sub level (working from memory) to help though.

Offline Joel

According to my search I found 17 Series II

Offline looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
Issue fixed on 997.2

wow that is extremely disappointing from a company with such a reputation for building bulletproof cars.

well you'd really only want a Metzger engined car anyway, so it's not an issue :D

Offline Cooch

• Drives: 997 Carrera S
The IMS bearing issue kind of goes like this:

996.1 and 996.2  is a problem, but bearing can be replaced when you replace the clutch [drop the gearbox].
997.1 up to 2006 - as above
997.1 2006+ the IMS was changed to a larger more robust unit, however if there are issues, it has to be replaced by breaking down the engine, as the bearing unit cannot be replaced externally. 
997.2  has no IMS, so no issue

Yes, the Metzger engines are more robust.  Apparently there haven't been many issues in Australia in relation to IMS as the oil and scheduled changes are different to those of U.S. spec cars [so I've been reading and led to believe].  Hardly any 997's around the world have been affected.  Only the early couple of years of 997's had the 996 engine type.  There is something like 50 pages of forum thread over at Pelican Parts about the whole thing.  I think you're pretty safe with a 997+ in Australia. 
Only through imperfection do you get perfection.

Offline Cooch

wow that is extremely disappointing from a company with such a reputation for building bulletproof cars.

I know, it's so bad of them.  There was a class action against them in the U.S. and the courts ruled in favour of the plaintiffs.  Apparently Porsche will pay up if you have an engine destruction due to IMS bearing failure.  Porsche have also been checking/replacing IMS bearings when the cars come in for clutches etc. as long as you're going to a Porsche workshop.  This is all in America though.  Porsche Australia have been very hush hush and also quite adamant that there are no problems here...  Still, you would think Porsche would have sorted this on their flagship model a lot earlier than the 997.2......

Offline Fil-Ski

• Drives: 993TT
It's not just the 911, its the Boxster and Cayman engines that are effected as well.

Offline Cooch

It's not just the 911, its the Boxster and Cayman engines that are effected as well.

Yeah, forgot about those play cars :D