Offline barra

Hi

I'm thinking about buying a 69-73 911 or 912.

Any owners on here that could provide me with some insight to what they are like to own, maintain and live with?

Thanks

John

Offline goober

• AE's Tame Race Driver
  • I did not lie. I was strategically misinforming u

• Drives: no friend of the left
  • Name: Buddy Miles
Hi

I'm thinking about buying a 69-73 911 or 912.

Any owners on here that could provide me with some insight to what they are like to own, maintain and live with?

Thanks

John

no radiator....hence no water pump and no coolant

other than that i have no idea
Meeting women on the Internet? Remember, the more similarities u “magically” have, & the more she agrees with u, the fucking crazier she is.

Offline barra

Save money on coolant?

So this stuff doesn't get anyone else excited??

Offline 1st

• Drives: The Historic & Heritage Numberplate market. Historic & Heritage plate dealers & auctioneers.
  • www: HistoricPlates.com.au

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Save money on coolant?

So this stuff doesn't get anyone else excited??

He was joking.

I'm excited.  I'd love a nice old one.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
He was joking.

I'm excited.  I'd love a nice old one.

Have you driven many older classic cars Mark?

I go hot and cold on them. Always fabulous and interesting to look at and I love researching the history and provenance etc. I even enjoy the restoration process, though not the paying for it :eek:
The best of them can be exciting to drive and enjoyable at sane road speeds. Most of the competition cars up until round about the late 1970's can be registered and driven on the road. The best of them can really be spine tingly fabulous to punt down your favourite bit of tarmac.

However, most of them out there are just bloody old and unreliable trucks to drive. We are both old enough to remember what was on offer for the average person back when these were new, and compared to a Morris Minor, EH Holden or whatever, the cars that are coveted today were space ships. Certainly the gulf between average and exotic in those days was enormous, today "average" is a lot closer to "exotic" in all respects.  Now take one of those coveted classics and put it on todays roads with your experience of driving modern cars, let alone modern exotics. Frankly, they can be just plain awful to drive and getting stuck on the side of the road in one when it breaks down isn't my idea of a fun way to spend the morning :rolleyes:

I only own one classic car and it's purely for sentimental reasons. I enjoy driving it, perhaps because of the sentimental side and a familiarity born from spending 35 years of my life with it. I have been fortunate to have driven a few classics that I would love to own and fit my idea of driving excitement; but they are way more $$ than I can afford. I have driven a LOT of lower rung classics and I struggle to think of one that I would want to own that is within my price range. If I bought one it would feel like I was settling for something second rate that I didn't actually like to drive, purely because I don't have uber millions to blow on one car that really excites me.

My 2 cents anyway :)

Offline Brenton

• 300kph+ club
  • DJ's like a mad ...........

• Drives: Yes
I have had the same thoughts about the 69-73 but yet to drive 1 or get serious enough to bother going to drive 1.

The 356 is just not nice to drive.
I get allot of enjoyment out of my son playing in the "wiggle big red car" as it is red.
I get allot of enjoyment from seeing it sit in my fathers garage

My father drives it allot and enjoys it, but the only time he has ever gone for a spirited drive was in my turbo in the targa. He is overly mechanically sympathetic therefore the older cars do suit him.

I think the only one I would be interested in driving allot would be the early shape but engine, breaks and gearbox from the 993 in it, best of both worlds. like the singers www.singervehicledesign.com

Online mtarone

I think the only one I would be interested in driving allot would be the early shape but engine, breaks and gearbox from the 993 in it, best of both worlds. like the singers www.singervehicledesign.com

That car has some serious appeal for me. This colour in particular. (photos from rennlist)

Offline TomE

I'm always tempted to move to a Modern M3 or a 997. But at the end of the day I love the ride, feel, drama and noise of old sports cars.

When you break them you just fix them. Cost is minimal considering cheap rego, shannons insurance and lack of depreciation.

I rate early 911 highly. Watching Stewart push his through the Adelaide hills a few years ago was magic.
"There's too many self-Indulgent wieners in this city with too much bloody money! Now, if I was driving a 1967 275 GTB four-cam... "

Offline alvchua

• Drives: Old junks
Have not owned an older 911 - oldest ones I owned were 993s but if I could find an early shortnose 911 at the right price, I'd get it in a heartbeat (oh yes - storage space too!).

I've driven a few of them and compared to some of the older Bimmers I own, the early 911s can IMO be a handful at speed round corners - where in a conventional front engine car, you instinctively back off the throttle when u r starting to lose grip mid corner - this could be disastrous in a 911!

Having said that, they have immense grip and whilst nowhere near as fast as modern cars, they do give amazing driver feedback and are fun to drive!

Of the affordable classics - IMO you can't look past a BMW 2002 - no creature comforts, no electronics but the driver feedback on them is hard to beat! ;-)

my 2 cents.
Forgiveness is easier to achieve than permission!