Offline leburpor

• Loves Tom Cruise

I had the opportunity to drive the Boxter S today. Took it through various urban driving conditions, highways and eventually through the hills for some twisty bits. It was a soft top spec with tiptronic.

I was impressed that I could comfortably get into the car. I was further impressed when I saw it had no clutch pedal :D The seats were comfortably, the leg room was sufficient and so was the headroom. However, I do have doubts that I'd be able to wear a helmet in it  :scratchchin:

I gave it a bit of a spurt as I pulled out of the car park. The acceleration was nice and smooth. I didn't like the pitchy engine noise and rattling I was getting as I was accelerating on 2nd gear up to 6500rpm, but I reminded myself that this is a sports car, not a super duper charged V10 family sedan  :rolleyes:

Going through traffic on a typical urban road was quite a chore. I tried to dismiss any negative thoughts by telling myself that this is a sports car, not a super duper charged V10 family sedan with extremely comfortable and versatile permium leather seats...but it didn't work. I felt every bump, curve and pothole that existed. It was then that I concluded there is no way I could live with a car like this as a daily driver.

Whilst at the lights just before the highway entrance I ensure the car was set for 'max thrill' mode...gears were set to M, and err....hmm...that was it  :tilt: Lights turned green, I floored it and the engine flared up, the sound was loud...a bit tinny..but loud. I waited for the torque to kick in...and waited...and waited...past 6500rpm..no neck breaking experience but I felt like I was going fast..until I looked at the speedo which indicated 70km/h. "WTF???!!" I thought to myself.....this car is too slow  :irked: As I got to 100km/h on 4th, I thought this car just has no guts, so I dropped it to 3rd with my foot planted into the ground. The engine roared once again. "Here we go.." I said to myself. I watched the speedo climb 101...102....103...waiting...105...waiting....107..."oh better stop here as I don't want to break the law" I thought  :scared: :mischief: :rolleyes: It was then I concluded that this car is just not fast enough, it also lacked guts at higher speeds. Then I reminded my self that this is a sports car, not a super duper charged V10 family sedan with extremely comfortable and versatile permium leather seats and 507hp with 500Nm of torque  :doh:

I eventually got to the start of the twisty bits..approach speed at 70km/h..dropped to 3 and floored it. There was a lot of engine noise, a lot of road noise, a lot of rattling and a bit of speed build up. As I approached the first turn, a turn which I have gone through countless of times, I decided I wouldn't need to brake that much as I wasn't going fast anyway. Got a glimpse of the speedo and I saw that I was about to enter the turn at a speed faster than my normal. Where did it suddently pick up speed?? Too late to do much about it I just turned, prepared to feather the brakes and throttle in case I lose the tail....oversteer!...woah!..corrected the steering the nose reacted immediately...no whippy tail, no screeching  :scratchchin: "gee that was fun" I thought  :mischief: 2nd tight turn was now fast approaching...taped the brakes dropped to 2nd and turned...felt that I was too slow so I throttled up. I thought the tail was going to come loose ever so slightly but I kept on the throttle. Almost as quickly that I felt the tail was coming loose the feeling went away..she stayed planted as I powered through the turn..."WOOOAAAHHHHH"....that was really fun  :D :mischief: It was then I resigned that this was a sports car, not a super duper charged V10 family sedan with extremely comfortable and versatile permium leather seats and 507hp with 500Nm of torque and weights 1880kgs  :waah: I completed the run with a smile on my face.

Conclusion...the Boxter S just lacks the power for me. However, what a fun..no..a really fun car to drive through the twisty bits. The speeds that I was going through the turns were at least 10% faster than I would in the M5 and the car stayed planted. The feeling of the tail wanting to come loose is just that, a feeling. It'll take a lot more to throw the tail out but I wasn't going to find the limit on a public road as I am a responsible driver who sticks to the speed limit...*cough*

I need to get a Porsche...but I can't live with it as a daily driver...it'll drive me nuts. The Boxter S, for me, would get a rating of 6/10. It gave me a good deal of fun through the twisties but everything else was just frustrating. A 911 Carrera S or above...now that's a different story  :mischief:

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
I eventually got to the start of the twisty bits..approach speed at 70km/h..dropped to 3 and floored it.

Yeah - that would do basically nothing - need 2nd.

I did a bit of paxing in one in the NT, nice car but way out of it's element - it felt really unstable at anything over 200kph, I saw 220 go by and it just felt like it was going to fall off the road, not very pleasant.  The owner said it does ~13.2 down the 1/4 mile, I said it felt nowhere near that quick so we stopped and did a couple full-throttle standing starts to 170 or so... still didn't feel very quick.

Nice car though.

Offline waz356

A tiptronic gearbox wouldn't compare to the 7 speed auto in the M5. You should be waiting for the new Porsche DSG box later in the year.

Oh, and at the last PCSA sprint day at Mallala a 2.7 Boxter was lapping consistently in the 1:26's so driven properly an 'S' wouldn't be far off the 500hp taxi.

Offline leburpor

• Loves Tom Cruise

Oh, and at the last PCSA sprint day at Mallala a 2.7 Boxter was lapping consistently in the 1:26's so driven properly an 'S' wouldn't be far off the 500hp taxi.

pfft... when pigs fly :p

Offline 993tits

• Pepé Le Porsche

I need to get a Porsche...but I can't live with it as a daily driver...it'll drive me nuts. The Boxter S, for me, would get a rating of 6/10. It gave me a good deal of fun through the twisties but everything else was just frustrating. A 911 Carrera S or above...now that's a different story  :mischief:

There may be a very special 993 Turbo S on the market soon..........not sure, but I might have been offered something I may not be able to refuse!
Always Gunna

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

There may be a very special 993 Turbo S on the market soon..........

Give you a slab of VB for it! :D

Offline 993tits

• Pepé Le Porsche

nope.......you can't buy it! You're in too sensitive a position to be carrying the load of driving a "dropped egg"! :waah:
Always Gunna

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter

i don't know why you always insist on overpaying.

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

nope.......you can't buy it! You're in too sensitive a position to be carrying the load of driving a "dropped egg"! :waah:

Hey last time I drove one I almost smiled :p

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter
good write up about the boxster btw.

I love my car. Buy your own