Offline jamesatfish

I've been saving this rant for a few months now but it's now time to vent...

Earlier this year my wife decided she wanted a new car.  She had a C63 Estate but when our second child came along in April it was just too small for 2 kids and all their crap, and after hunting around the shortlist came to Porsche Cayenne Turbo/GTS or Audi RS6 Avant.

We decided to set a cap at $200K, which ruled out the RS6, so we started hunting around for a 1-3 year old Cayenne.  We ended up chasing cars at 7 dealers - 6 official Porsche dealers and one independent, and things didn't go so well...

Dealer 1, who we bought our last Cayenne Turbo from, had a Turbo for us to look at so we arranged a trip to see it.  On the morning we were to see the car I called them to confirm a time and was told it had been sold a week earlier but they hadn't thought to tell me before I made the trip up to see them.

Dealer 2 listed a GTS online, so I sent an enquiry and waited 7 days for a response. The GTS they listed didn't have the options I wanted so I told the salesman what I was looking for.  In the next month they listed 3 matching cars on Carsales but I didn't get a call from the dealership about any of them, and the salesman didn't respond to 2 emails I sent asking for more details on the cars.

I called my contacts at Dealers 3 and 4 with our requirements, but they couldn't help me out as they had nothing matching in stock.  Those guys get a pass as they can't be expected to sell a car they don't have.

Dealer 5 listed a Turbo, so I called to speak to a salesman and got a call back 3 days later.  He sent me details, I made an offer in writing and he never responded or called back to follow up.

Dealer 1 then advised me the Turbo we had wanted to look at was back on the market after the sale fell through, so we went up to look at it but didn't like it after all.  We drove a GTS they had just received into stock and liked it, so we called the next day to make an offer.  After leaving 3 messages the dealership called me back after 5pm to advise the car had been sold earlier that day.

Dealer 6 listed a GTS on Carsales which I enquired about, but it was flagged as Sold 5 days later.  I still have not heard from the dealer.

Dealer 7 (the independent) listed a GTS on Carsales where it remains to this day, but 3 weeks later I have yet to receive a reply email or phone call.

Thankfully my quest to buy a Porsche has now come to an end - we bought the Audi instead.

Offline scud

• 300kph+ club
  • Rocket man

without bagging car salesmen, that's why they are car salesmen.

attention to detail, or the drive to satisfy customers for some is lost.

I chased the same guy on a GL63 plenty of times, in the end it got too hard as I was the one doing all the chasing.

Offline Joel

I've been saving this rant for a few months now but it's now time to vent...

Earlier this year my wife decided she wanted a new car.  She had a C63 Estate but when our second child came along in April it was just too small for 2 kids and all their crap, and after hunting around the shortlist came to Porsche Cayenne Turbo/GTS or Audi RS6 Avant.

We decided to set a cap at $200K, which ruled out the RS6, so we started hunting around for a 1-3 year old Cayenne.  We ended up chasing cars at 7 dealers - 6 official Porsche dealers and one independent, and things didn't go so well...

Dealer 1, who we bought our last Cayenne Turbo from, had a Turbo for us to look at so we arranged a trip to see it.  On the morning we were to see the car I called them to confirm a time and was told it had been sold a week earlier but they hadn't thought to tell me before I made the trip up to see them.

Dealer 2 listed a GTS online, so I sent an enquiry and waited 7 days for a response. The GTS they listed didn't have the options I wanted so I told the salesman what I was looking for.  In the next month they listed 3 matching cars on Carsales but I didn't get a call from the dealership about any of them, and the salesman didn't respond to 2 emails I sent asking for more details on the cars.

I called my contacts at Dealers 3 and 4 with our requirements, but they couldn't help me out as they had nothing matching in stock.  Those guys get a pass as they can't be expected to sell a car they don't have.

Dealer 5 listed a Turbo, so I called to speak to a salesman and got a call back 3 days later.  He sent me details, I made an offer in writing and he never responded or called back to follow up.

Dealer 1 then advised me the Turbo we had wanted to look at was back on the market after the sale fell through, so we went up to look at it but didn't like it after all.  We drove a GTS they had just received into stock and liked it, so we called the next day to make an offer.  After leaving 3 messages the dealership called me back after 5pm to advise the car had been sold earlier that day.

Dealer 6 listed a GTS on Carsales which I enquired about, but it was flagged as Sold 5 days later.  I still have not heard from the dealer.

Dealer 7 (the independent) listed a GTS on Carsales where it remains to this day, but 3 weeks later I have yet to receive a reply email or phone call.

Thankfully my quest to buy a Porsche has now come to an end - we bought the Audi instead.

Shit break man!!! what Audi did you get?

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Sounds a lot like todays breed of real estate agents... :rolleyes:

Offline Moneybags

Far out business must be good for cars in the high priced market.

I never thought it could be so hard to buy a car for the $150 - $200k range, figured the dealers would be fighting over you.

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

Isn't it Lord Melchatt who has an opinion of people selling Porsches?

Offline tdc911

Sounds like there is an internal dossier going around the  Porsche dealerships about you. :)

But in all seriousness, that is bloody ridiculous the poor customer service you have received. I would have thought they would be jumping over themselves to get rid of used high-end Cayennes.

Offline jamesatfish

I didn't go into the process expecting to be treated like a God, but I'd be livid at my staff if they ignored a customer query about a $5 part let alone a $150,000 car.  To not even get an email or phone call to respond to a query is just staggering.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of that poor attitude was as a result of the Macan.  We spent about 3 hours at Dealer 1 and during that time I reckon we saw 2 or 3 salespeople close deals on a new Macan.  If they're selling those quicker than they can be delivered I guess there's less pressure on the bottom line to chase people like myself.

Thanks to this forum I learned the RS6 is being facelifted early next year and the dealers are running out their pre-facelift stock.  I called my contact at Audi Brisbane, asked him to find us a car under our $200K budget, and 2 days later the deal was done.  My wife flies up to collect it next week.

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.

Offline Moneybags

Well done that Audi RS6 in my eyes is much better than the porsche.