Offline Steve355F1

• Drives: 355F1 GTS

Yes it is not normal. I have owned shit loads of various refrigeration plant and them leaking gas is not "normal" like people will say. It usually means someone did not do something up tight enough. The pressures and vacuum involved are high and lines get hot and cold. On a car vibration on unsecured fittings can cause issues. But the best thing is to run the thing as often as you can. Applies to everything...back seat windows, Heater controls and A/C. Run it every few weeks and it will give you less trouble. There is usually no need for dyes in lines. You just use a gas detecter around fittings and they can "smell" the gas leaking even if it is micro amounts. Get a signal - clean the fitting and re-test. Basic 101 refrig stuff.

There  ....that was on topic and no bitchy stuff. See guys, it is easy!

:thumbsup:

It wasn't actually on topic as far as the OP is concerned, but it was helpful to me. Thanks!

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
There's no need for dye no. But it does no harm and makes leak diagnosis very quick and easy.

To use a gas sniffer means you need to pay someone with the shift tool to do it.

With dye, all you need is a basic uv light pen.

The dye is just one of the ingredients in the additive.

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: TBA
  • Name: Peter
I think Google might be a bit clever....or is it a coincidence? I just got a pop up advert on another forum for automotive air conditioning for $159 in Mitcham, or 'we come to you'.

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline Aircon

:rolleyes:

You're writing as if I said don't use it.

While in fact, you told him not to use it.

No I didn't. I just don't see any big advantage, whereas a car designed for R12 would benefit greatly.

http://hychill.com.au/products/

Since no retro-fitting is required, HyChill refrigerants are the perfect "drop in" solution for systems which previously used gases such as CFC R12, HFC R134a, HCFC R22, R502, R11 and others.

Some system examples:
•Vehicle Air Conditioning
•Refrigerated Containers and Transports
•Domestic Refrigerators and Freezers
•Drink Dispensers
•Supermarket Cool Units and Displays
•Industrial Cool Rooms and Freezers
•Agricultural Chillers and Vats
•Domestic and Commercial Air Conditioning Systems

Offline Barry911

Thanks for the massive amount of helpful information related to my question, and an even bigger thanks for using my post to talk about something even more massively off topic. What a waste of time.

Offline Aircon

I've noticed a few uk import 997s on carpoint.  What's your thoughts on buying a uk import?  Does anybody know what mods would have to been done for import?  What should I look out for? Or just steer clear? Should they have a discount over aus delivered?  Thanks

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. In answer to your question, Yes...steer clear.

Online andecorp

• Biggest daddy in the park 300kph+ club
  • No idea how to make her happy!

• Drives: too many cars for one ass
Thanks for the massive amount of helpful information related to my question, and an even bigger thanks for using my post to talk about something even more massively off topic. What a waste of time.
I think the thread is very informative with a lot of good stuff in it that people took time out to provide for others for free. If you are not grateful for that you know where the door is.
You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot.