Offline allanuber

• Name: Al

the engineering part i can do all myself and just have it inspected by a signatory , i am qualified to do the design and fabrication work

why porsche ?

i want something enjoyable to drive . thats the plus

the downside is it can be hard to park one anywhere without good security because of the turkeys who spit , scratch them or leave their dirty maccas wrappers on the car.........

:(

Sounds interesting then.

I can't fathom the registration laws if you (and I don't know you so no disrespect) can create your own electric driven car, filled no doubt with batteries that will become a delightful acid bath in the event of a crash, however I can't register a fully engineered Cobra in NSW due to it having working side pipes - I'm assuming because these might indeed magically fly off and kill the pope.

Is it really that easy to do such a significant bit of engineering to a car and just have an engineer 'sign it off'? As for the porsche being spat on etc ... I'm not sure where you're driving but I've not had that problem yet, however I do stay away from Llama farms.

Offline 265T

Man, got some money to burn on that project, you will be spending a few $$$$s just to get it looking OK first.

i agree with Mondi, it could be an expensive exercise to repair the fire damage - interior/wiring/bodywork will all add up

make sure you inspect the damage & do your sums first

Offline HeadsUp

Sounds interesting then.

I can't fathom the registration laws if you (and I don't know you so no disrespect) can create your own electric driven car, filled no doubt with batteries that will become a delightful acid bath in the event of a crash, however I can't register a fully engineered Cobra in NSW due to it having working side pipes - I'm assuming because these might indeed magically fly off and kill the pope.

Is it really that easy to do such a significant bit of engineering to a car and just have an engineer 'sign it off'? As for the porsche being spat on etc ... I'm not sure where you're driving but I've not had that problem yet, however I do stay away from Llama farms.

no battery acid used

i use a type of sealed Lithium battery which is spill proof and fireproof , you could even punch a nail through one and it will remain inert

you would be surprised how strict the laws are on safety , if an electric vehicle is built properly it will have impact sensors and circuit breakers that trigger and isolate the battery , mine uses contactors to break the battery pack down into 48 volt modules on impact or short circuit or when the ignition key is turned off.

makes it safer for emergency workers if the vehicle is involved in an accident

they also have a big red button on the dash near the window so police or fireys hit that and it kills all power too

having said that there is alot of backyard guys playing with these and i have heard of plenty of cars being burnt to the ground

those are the guys that DO need the Llammas in their backyard to spit on the flames

Offline HeadsUp

Unusual place for a fire or is this common??? Looks like an electrical fire being in the front like that.

Man, got some money to burn on that project, you will be spending a few $$$$s just to get it looking OK first. It looks to be an import but could be wrong.

i was thinking maybe a flash fire when refueling or electrical

wiring loom , dashboard lining  , windscreen , paint  etc etc  big $$$ soon mount up

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al

no battery acid used

i use a type of sealed Lithium battery which is spill proof and fireproof , you could even punch a nail through one and it will remain inert

you would be surprised how strict the laws are on safety , if an electric vehicle is built properly it will have impact sensors and circuit breakers that trigger and isolate the battery , mine uses contactors to break the battery pack down into 48 volt modules on impact or short circuit or when the ignition key is turned off.

they also have a big red button on the dash near the window so police or fireys hit that and it kills all power too

having said that there is alot of backyard guys playing with these and i have heard of plenty of cars being burnt to the ground

those are the guys that DO need the Llammas in their backyard to spit on the flames

no battery acid used

More interesting. The battery acid comment by me sounds rather ignorant then, which is good - how do you go about planning the modifications? For instance with the potential of the electric motors and batteries the porsche may well weigh a lot more than originally, but with a lot more power potential. Will you be expected to prove every component of the car (brakes, steering, cooling etc) all works to a certain level? I know with the Cobra we did a braking and 'swerve' test as speed under the auspices of an engineer - not exactly rocket science but at least gave us a clear target for rego. Lastly, have you done this before? Post up some of your handiwork!

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Good point Al. Just been going thru some of this lately with a modified vehicle.

It seems that now days with a heavily modified vehicle(this would be in that class) they want a certain level of ADRs adhered to. Just as a example - the guys we have been talking to have said that they don't care about the size of the brakes or how many pistons they have but it all comes down to stopping percentages and distances. There are quiet a few tests involved.

There was also talk of SRS airbags and other safety equipment found as standard equipment now on modern cars. If they are going to require this sort of thing to be done then it's going to make a project like this very difficult.

I know the example here is a 1975 Porker and it should be covered by 1975 ADRs but when modifications are being done to this level there are other rules and regs that come into play.