Offline OzCarSightings

• Will eat your baby
  • Photographer

• Drives: GenF HSV/Golf R32/motorbike
  • www: JanGlovac.com
i was told today that you can't import any car manufactured after 1-1-1989 unless it's in the RAWS list.

I think if you have lived in the country (and owned the car) you are importing from for more than 12 months you avoid this.

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter
I think if you have lived in the country (and owned the car) you are importing from for more than 12 months you avoid this.

ahhhhh...ok...well that's why a little knowledge is a dangerous thing! i'll shut up now :)

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com
flamestone
Any chance one of your buddies that imported there TVR's could get in touch and give me a idiots guide to how they did it. Email is :stoobies@aol.com

Don't know if there will be differences between the states (yes, its one big country, but the states have their own rules just to confused things further), but I've passed on your details.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Where's S4Simon....?  Basically, he brought his Esprit over last year (or before) after having lived in UK for some time with it and it was zero drama.

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com

Offline spawnywhippet

I brought my Boxster as a personal import with me when I came over in Jan 2005. I'd have only got $22k selling it in the UK and the same age / spec car was selling here at the time for close to $90k. It cost me 1200GBP to ship it in a shared container from London to Sydney and I received it here about 12 weeks later. It took about 7 weeks to go through an endless series of government inspections, compliance work and charges totalled about $5k to $7k.
There was an awful amount of paperwork as is common with any dealings with the Oz government bureaucrats and it almost wasn't worth it in the end. When I sold it after 12 months here, it was more difficult to sell an imported car and I got a lot less money, even though it was a very high specced model and met Australian Design Rules compliance.

I'd recommend you sell your car and bring something with a very large margin of price difference between UK and Aus prices, eg M5 or Aston Martin.

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter
I brought my Boxster as a personal import with me when I came over in Jan 2005. I'd have only got $22k selling it in the UK and the same age / spec car was selling here at the time for close to $90k. It cost me 1200GBP to ship it in a shared container from London to Sydney and I received it here about 12 weeks later. It took about 7 weeks to go through an endless series of government inspections, compliance work and charges totalled about $5k to $7k.
There was an awful amount of paperwork as is common with any dealings with the Oz government bureaucrats and it almost wasn't worth it in the end. When I sold it after 12 months here, it was more difficult to sell an imported car and I got a lot less money, even though it was a very high specced model and met Australian Design Rules compliance.

I'd recommend you sell your car and bring something with a very large margin of price difference between UK and Aus prices, eg M5 or Aston Martin.

tadaaaa!!

exactly what i've been saying all along. it's NOT worth bringing in a car that's already available as aussie delivery....you'll be raped on the way into the country, and raped on resale.

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline SiFi

• Navigator/Serial Killer

Offline Scotty

:p

Hi guys, I decided to take the car with me. luckly the Company that hired me allowed it to go in our container so no shipping costs. Imports duties will probably be about 5-9 k AUD. Car arrives on the 14th of Dec and I was hoping to get it before the Xmas break but thats not going to happen. Never mind the sun is shinning and it will be here for the summer and Autum.

Will post again after I have got the car and I will post a break down of all the costs.

cheers

Offline app

:p

Hi guys, I decided to take the car with me. luckly the Company that hired me allowed it to go in our container so no shipping costs. Imports duties will probably be about 5-9 k AUD. Car arrives on the 14th of Dec and I was hoping to get it before the Xmas break but thats not going to happen. Never mind the sun is shinning and it will be here for the summer and Autum.

Will post again after I have got the car and I will post a break down of all the costs.

cheers

After what spawnywhippet went through, are you sure you want to do that? Where are you bringing it from?

Personally from hearing all these stories about importing their personal cars into OZ, I reckon I'd just sell it and buy another one in OZ. Unless you have a rare car, I don't think it's worth it when you can easily find another one to buy.