Offline Scotty

The supply of soft top carreras is poor in Perth WA. ( it may be better on the east coast) . My car would have made me about 40k AUD if had sold it in the UK and a similar car would cost me 90k AUD if I could have found one in perth. Its costing me about 10k AUD to import and I am not considering selling the car in the next 3 years. So for me its a no brainer. If it had been a coupe I would have sold it but being a cabrio it made sence.

I am going to hire an agent to take it thru theimport process after the frieght company have unloaded the car. That way i write a single check and they do th leg work. It will cost me about 800AUD more doing it that way but its hassle free on my side and I don have the tim to mess with it.

No drammas - cant get to excited as the decision has been made and once the car is here it will be great, the sun is shinning and I have my sunnies on so much better than the cold, gray and knackered uk

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

How about a pic of the car before you pack it in the container? 

Offline Scotty

its already on its way should be passing cyprus by now??!!, it was looking sexy as I had it fitted wil new bumbers, skirts and resprayed.

will post when it arrives

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

I am going to hire an agent to take it thru theimport process after the frieght company have unloaded the car. That way i write a single check and they do th leg work. It will cost me about 800AUD more doing it that way but its hassle free on my side and I don have the tim to mess with it.

Er, it would be best to talk to an agent now, there is an import approval that needs to be applied for, or have you already sent that in to Canberra. If so just ignore my ranting.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

its already on its way should be passing cyprus by now??!!, it was looking sexy as I had it fitted wil new bumbers, skirts and resprayed.

will post when it arrives

It really would be a good idea to talk to an agent now if it has already left. They will need to arrange the landing of the car, which includes Customs, etc, etc, etc.

And please tell me you have the import approval sent into Canberra.

Offline Scotty

Oh yes - I have all the approvals already - totally up to speed on what was requiredand  under no illusions it will be a pain in the neck getting it through the inspection process, but thats what i am going to pay the agent to do on my behalf.

To be honest its been easy so far, the forms were easy- you just have to have the evidence and paper work to back up your claim to moving down perminantly. The approval only took 6 weeks to get and our relocation company interfaced with the Government agengy's for us.

You have to have owned the car for a year to be allowed to import it , thats the biggest condition otherwise I would say if your company is relocating you and allow your car to go with the sofa's etc - go for it, none aussie cars cost an arm and a leg in WA.

Offline Scotty

:)
Hi Guys, Thought I better close this one since I finally managed to get the car on the road last month.

The car left in late October and arrived in Perth in early Dec08, it was shipped with our other stuff in the same container, paid for by my new company which saved about £3k.

The car took 6 weeks to clear customs and AQUIOS, AQUIOS was a rip off, charged £210 to clean it??? the car never saw any water but they did deliver it to the door

The full force of Aussie bureaucracy kicked in and it took 6 weeks to get it through the import approval inspection, due to missing paper work and mis informartion. In the end I got it approved with no cost or alterations required but I was lucky I got a good guy. The other 3 inspectors  I had dealt with were itching to fail the car and make me spend £4-8k to make it comply with every Aussie reg. I guess they see alot of imports and dont want to see you sell it on for a profit, my guy realised I was taking it with me because I loved the car and couldnt afford to buy a replacement in Perth.

Total cost

Transportion = £0
import Duty = £3950
AQUIOS = £210
Inspection and moving permits= £100.
Aussie equivelant of Road tax = £250.

Total £4500, which is very cheap - it could have been 3 times that,

Would I do it again? - Yes the car is great and they cost 2-3 times the UK values in Perth, my car would cost £44k in Perth ,I would have got about £18-20k If I had sold it before we left. The top has been down and the sun shining since I got it, unfortunately it has just sprung awater leak so is heading for the garage.

If your thinking of doing this then make sure its worth it, Porker BMW M3's and other exotics make sence , but budget for aussie mods of between £2-5k, porkers are good with the digital speedo and tacho, flick of a switch and your in Kilometers, they will insist you change to Km - by fitting a new speedo and tacho ( can mean a new dash on some models), the other one is the aussie child restraints , not the same spec as uk and will require fitting,

Make sure you do you home work and get all your paperwork and approvals in place before you ship the car. Once it arrives pay your duties etc and be patiant, aussie's switch off if you get in there face and complain. At every obstical smile and ask the person how do you fix it, they will usually help bit will just take time and usually money to fix.

Cheers A happy Aussie with a soft top Porsche 911

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com

Offline Scion

welcome. porsche club WA is going to collie track the weekend of 3rd April. hope to see you there :D

Offline Scotty

Cheers mate,  missed your offer for April, when and where are you guys going next

cheers
Stewart