Offline speedybird

Hi All,

It is amazing to note that porsche and the Aus government appear to be in bed together to block the import of used (inc 911) porsches. The aus government gets something like 100,000 in taxes from the sale of a new one and Porsche get a deal where the government wont add porsches to the SEVS list (allowed imports).  Ferraris and aston martins and lambos, ok, but not Porsche....a nice little scam, where the ordinary public loses out.. Comments appreciated.

Anyways, I am importing my 911 turbo in September - qaulifies as personal import - so gets around this.

Question is, how do I know I wont be ripped off during the Compliance work that has to be done ?  I read some horror stories that if you want to import certain cars they will be cost 50 to 100 thousand to get complied !! what ??? and often the cars needs new tyres, - just because - well it makes more profit for the compliance  garage. This second scheme incidentally, is another fine one the motor manufacturers have agreed with the Aus government to keep their prices inflated - as this "complaince" deters imports

anyone been through this with a 2002 porsche 911 turbo ? ...comments ?

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
If it's PI you won't have to do much compliance work.

It's only RAWS that's difficult.

And you're not allowed to bring in high volume Ferraris either... 360 is a low volume car, and 430 is same as Porsche, hence not allowed.

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
depends where the car is comming from. Compliance cost for some personal imports from certain countries dont need any compliance or even tyres (but to pass RTA inspection you need recent tyres with legal tread).

I'm still thinking of what car to bring back to Aus as a personal import, a recent GT2 perhaps????

$100k for compliance? Think someone has been giving you the bum steer
You can say I'm wrong, but my garage doesn't agree with that statement!!!

Offline S4Simon

• The Rubber King of Adelaide

• Drives: Something a metre high
Cost $8.95 to comply my PI.
I've been rich & I've been poor...

Rich is better

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides

Cost $8.95 to comply my PI.

Radiator fluid????

Offline speedybird

Aus is not a little backwater town anymore, it is a modern powerhouse now with a big future, and this antiquated rip off legislation needs to consigned to the past together with the whites only policy... I say freedom to the people to drive what they want - as remember, the government is there to "serve us", not there to "fleece us" doing a nice little deal with porsche. it is infuriating.

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

the government is there to "serve us", not there to "fleece us" doing a nice little deal with porsche. it is infuriating.

serve us????  This govt, once they have taken will then take some more.  they only serve those who dont want to get off their arses  Extortion is legal if you are a government.

I was speaking to someone yesterday who bought a 997 turbo for his US house -  $156,000.

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides

Aus is not a little backwater town anymore, it is a modern powerhouse now with a big future, and this antiquated rip off legislation needs to consigned to the past together with the whites only policy... I say freedom to the people to drive what they want - as remember, the government is
there to "serve us", not there to "fleece us" doing a nice little deal with porsche. it is infuriating.

??????

Offline speedybird

got a bit carried away ! i mean it would be nice if they drop this legislation and allow a free market to operate, i.e you can import without restrictions although i agree cars should be in good order so with reasonable compliance charges...

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides

got a bit carried away ! i mean it would be nice if they drop this legislation and allow a free market to operate, i.e you can import with restrictions although i agree cars should be in good order so with reasonable compliance charges...

:doh: