• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
LPols like we all agree. That is bloody rare lol
Enjoying Life!!!!

Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David
Shannons and their replacement value calculations are weird
They tried to convince me the replacement value of my Europa S was $125k, for a 2007 car.
They cost that as a sticker price new in 2007 but no one ever paid that.

I guess they have done the numbers and the extra premiums they get from convincing owners their cars are worth a lot more than they are (and most owners generally think that way anyway) is more profitable than if they ever have to pay out the full amount.

And as usual, ive gone on a long rant about something not really related to the topic

Offline speedybird

Thanks for all your replies, it is refreshing to feel people have honest opinions and are not just being the usual cyber bullies...

maybe you are right at AUD 60k, but = GBP 39,000 now. here in uk she is worth gbp 25,000 in this bankrupt european market. by the time it is landed and i pay tax and fees etc it will probably be at gbp 31,000. so, still worth it most likely ?  my real concern is that you cant speed in perth because they have hidden cameras eveywhere, so that may affect buyers.

sorry to hear about the huge aud 27k bill s4s , if a 911 tt engine goes you are looking at at least aud 30k to fix....hope that makes you feel better !!

Offline speedybird

This is due to the fact that just about anyone can jump on the internet or eBay and buy a car from overseas and have it shipped back here.

but as not on SEVS, people can't bring in ANY used pork right ?

Offline dkabab

Thanks for all your replies, it is refreshing to feel people have honest opinions and are not just being the usual cyber bullies...

maybe you are right at AUD 60k, but = GBP 39,000 now. here in uk she is worth gbp 25,000 in this bankrupt european market. by the time it is landed and i pay tax and fees etc it will probably be at gbp 31,000. so, still worth it most likely ?  my real concern is that you cant speed in perth because they have hidden cameras eveywhere, so that may affect buyers.

sorry to hear about the huge aud 27k bill s4s , if a 911 tt engine goes you are looking at at least aud 30k to fix....hope that makes you feel better !!

is it worth it, well not really in dollars and cents, but to you, if its got that emotional attachment, well maybe.

1. i dont think speed cameras have stopped anyone from buying exotic sports cars, especially in perth.

2. he said $27. thats twenty seven dollars....

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

but as not on SEVS, people can't bring in ANY used pork right ?

The cars I have been involved with have been mainly 30 to 100 years old so they are open to import, that is anyone can import them as long as they apply for and receive an Import Approval. Anything made before January 1989 is open, including any Pork made back then.

Anything after January 1989 comes under the RAWS, and is has to be on the SEVS first. But you can still bring them in under the PI and the “Letter of Compliance” scheme. But you would have a snow ball’s chance in hell bringing one in under “Letter of Compliance” because Porsche would laugh at you, very hard……….

Offline Excalibur Racing

• Drives: 997 GT3 Cup, Radical SR8 RX
got a bit carried away ! i mean it would be nice if they drop this legislation and allow a free market to operate, i.e you can import without restrictions although i agree cars should be in good order so with reasonable compliance charges...
Hell will freeze over before this occurs. Australia is a protected nanny state and we can't have the jobs of hard working ford and holden employees threatened by allowing imports in without huge taxes (LCT, import duty, gst). You will find the process infuriating as you have to apply for a 'permit to import a motor vehicle'. Best to talk to an import agent to get the low down.
Also kiss goddbye to being able to sell it IF you do manage to import cheaper than the second hand price. With foreign compliance you will get ZERO buyers, trust me.
Race cars are a much different story. A Porsche cup car is the same the world over and you can do it all for roughly the cost of freight, gst and some minor other charges.
Problem with all imports of course is that you really need a trusted adviser in the country of import else you may be buying a lemon. Make a personal trip and the cost incurred makes the deal less attractive.

NZ is a great example of car imports left to the free market. No domestic car industry and so many shitty low-volume imports that it is difficult to get good service and spare parts.

I would be happy with the current setup minus the farking Luxury car tax. Adds 33% plus gst on top of this for new cars over $60k. Yet another nanny state tax to bring the wealthy back to the fold a bit more.
Youth is wasted on the young...

Offline longi

• Drives: A red tractor
We're naive if we believe it's down to taxes. All importers of European cars are gouging.

Go to Porsche USA website. MY11 997 Turbo is US$141,000, a GTS is US$108,370. Now compare this with the official Porsche Australia price of $497,500 on the road for the Turbo, and $305,000 for the GTS. Transport, LCC, customs duty, GST and stamp duty don't explain half of it.

Mind, it's no different for other things. A Sonos S5 A$599 vs US$399. Shipping you say? An album on iTunes is A$16.99 here, US$9.99 over there.

Online S4Simon

• The Rubber King of Adelaide

• Drives: Something a metre high
You also have to be mindful that a good car will only last 10-15 years in the UK and Northern Europe before it's of no value.  I remember buying my first car in the UK - it was only 12 months old and the engine bay was fully corroded.
I've been rich & I've been poor...

Rich is better

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
You also have to be mindful that a good car MIGHT only last 10-15 years in the UK and Northern Europe before it's of no value.  I remember buying my first car in the UK - it was only 12 months old and the engine bay was fully corroded.

individuals....

the rustiest Dino I've ever seen was delivered to Adelaide new.