Offline David B

Hi all,

again just doing my home work for my hopeful end of year purchase of a second hand 911.
Budget is going to ~40-70K dont know exactly until settlement.

Theres a big difference between what you can get at 40k vs 70K but anyway...

I was following locally a 911 2002 4S that was metallic dark grey and looked pretty good.

I was wondering is the 4S a good option in terms of driving or does the 4 wheel drive reduce the experience as many other 4 wheel drive cars seem to be ?

As it will just be my weekender and I will never track I am looking for a good "twisties" car rather than all out performance, hence my question

Cheers!!

Online Fil-Ski

• Drives: 993TT
Hi all,

again just doing my home work for my hopeful end of year purchase of a second hand 911.
Budget is going to ~40-70K dont know exactly until settlement.

Theres a big difference between what you can get at 40k vs 70K but anyway...

I was following locally a 911 2002 4S that was metallic dark grey and looked pretty good.

I was wondering is the 4S a good option in terms of driving or does the 4 wheel drive reduce the experience as many other 4 wheel drive cars seem to be ?

As it will just be my weekender and I will never track I am looking for a good "twisties" car rather than all out performance, hence my question

Cheers!!

In my 993 Turbo and 996's I have driven the 4WD tends to understeer.
If you can pay the extra for the 2WD version.

Offline David B

In my 993 Turbo and 996's I have driven the 4WD tends to understeer.
If you can pay the extra for the 2WD version.
its funny because the they tend to me more dollars !!  is it because people like the wider look on the back ?

Also the convertibles are significantly cheaper than all other models..... are they a worse stear ?

Offline looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
I hated my turbo after my GT3.  Steering was not as nice car felt heavier and just lacked tactility. I know gt3 is probably an unfair comparison but what you lose in tactility you make up for being able to launch on wet roads.  Both have their place but no question in my mind that the 4wd is a little more dull.

Another thing to bear in mind, 4s's seem to be quite expensive for what you get. The market has changed one the past 18 months so I may be a little out of touch, however whenever I looked 4s sellers almost always wanted big $ to the point it was almost turbo money in most cases.

Offline David B

I hated my turbo after my GT3.  Steering was not as nice car felt heavier and just lacked tactility. I know gt3 is probably an unfair comparison but what you lose in tactility you make up for being able to launch on wet roads.  Both have their place but no question in my mind that the 4wd is a little more dull.

Another thing to bear in mind, 4s's seem to be quite expensive for what you get. The market has changed one the past 18 months so I may be a little out of touch, however whenever I looked 4s sellers almost always wanted big $ to the point it was almost turbo money in most cases.

Hey Looney did you ever drive the convertible model ?  (hairdresser I know) I am interested in its dynamics compared to coupe.   I have heard the Targa is a better compromise but is heavier and weight is high so dynamics suffer a little bit.

Offline 9911

2WD. Far more fun and can be pushed.

A thread from 2014 asked the same question I believe.

Offline Brenton

• 300kph+ club
  • DJ's like a mad ...........

• Drives: Yes
I have driven or owned all you are talking about.

The c4s is a gutless boat that looks sensational
the c2 is a nimble fun car to drive
the turbo is the same as the 4s but had the party trick of being ridiculously fast
the gt3 is a c2 on steroids

ie the RWD cars are the better drivers cars
the c4s is the best looking but I would never ever own one as it is missing a couple of turbos

therefore you need to get the C2 and if you can stretch it to the 997 c2 S you will have alot of fun if not get the Mk2 996 c2

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

the turbo is the same as the 4s but had the party trick of being ridiculously fast

the c4s is the best looking but I would never ever own one as it is missing a couple of turbos

therefore you need to get the C2 and if you can stretch it to the 997 c2 S you will have alot of fun if not get the Mk2 996 c2

^^^^^^^

what pretty boy said

Offline David B

Thanks mate perfect answer.. really appreciate it.
interestingly 997 S cheapest (not best ) around $75K, 996.2 (3.6L year 2002+) around $40K but many with 150K+ km's  :eek:

I'm guessing the 997 S with that 3.8 L motor is going to be a much better car!

My old mans friend who works at a few car auctions said virtually every 911 sold under 80K are fucked and some get about 5km down the road then blow up.    :waah:   guess thats off the books as a cheaper option.

Online Fil-Ski

• Drives: 993TT
Targa is the worst of both worlds. It's just a convertible with a heavy roof.