Offline Brenton

• 300kph+ club
  • DJ's like a mad ...........

• Drives: Yes
Thanks mate perfect answer.. really appreciate it.
interestingly 997 S cheapest (not best ) around $75K, 996.2 (3.6L year 2002+) around $40K but many with 150K+ km's  :eek:

I'm guessing the 997 S with that 3.8 L motor is going to be a much better car!

My old mans friend who works at a few car auctions said virtually every 911 sold under 80K are fucked and some get about 5km down the road then blow up.    :waah:   guess thats off the books as a cheaper option.

your old mans friend is WRONG.
inspect each car on their own merits.
low KM expensive examples can have just as many problems

Offline David B

your old mans friend is WRON :boggled: G.
inspect each car on their own merits.
low KM expensive examples can have just as many problems
I think he was saying that because youhave limited inspection ability at auction ie no PPI, cant drive it, can only start it up etc that mnay thought they were getting a bargin but got badly burnt.

I fully appreciate your comments on Km and I have learnt from this site "buy on condition not Km's".

There's no way I would buy without PPI I cant afford a IMS or some other high expense failure.  For me it would sideline the car for 12 months etc until I could fund the repairs.  I have thought about Boxers amd caymans too, but in my price range they all have degree's of failure risk.

Offline RMV

• A Country Member

I'm actively searching for a 997 (C2) at the moment. Would not consider a C4. AWD 996 and 997s are way overpriced, IMO. They're for sale forever as a consequence, too.

Offline David B

I'm actively searching for a 997 (C2) at the moment. Would not consider a C4. AWD 996 and 997s are way overpriced, IMO. They're for sale forever as a consequence, too.

Have you driven a convertible 911 vs the coupe ?  what are your thoughts on the convertibles... they seem cheap in asking price,  I am wondering why?

Offline Brenton

• 300kph+ club

Had both
they in 95% of driving drive the same.

I hardly ever took the roof of and have a young family (would never have the roof off with a kid in the back, to dangerous ) so went from a cab to a coupe.

I have had thoughs recently about picking up another cab as a family weekend cruise car though  :scratchchin:

Offline David B

Had both
they in 95% of driving drive the same.

I hardly ever took the roof of and have a young family (would never have the roof off with a kid in the back, to dangerous ) so went from a cab to a coupe.

I have had thoughs recently about picking up another cab as a family weekend cruise car though  :scratchchin:

thats good to hear as I actually love convertibles....used to own a MG F VVC in Volcano Orange....  It was a hoot but the air suspension thingy was a pain.... The next version they went back to a standard system.

Some offer the hard top...... is that a worthwhile addition ?  apparently they are expensive to purchase later.

Offline Fil-Ski

• Name: Scuderia
Have you driven a convertible 911 vs the coupe ?  what are your thoughts on the convertibles... they seem cheap in asking price,  I am wondering why?
They are cheap because they are a compromised car

The pecking order is something like this

911 Manual Coupe
911 Auto Coupe
911 Conv Manual
911 Conv Auto

The only reason the 4S fetch a high price is because they have the turbo body and look better then the standard 996 coupe and because they cost significantly more new.

Offline RMV

• A Country Member

I would never consider a convertible, ever. However, that's just my personal preference.  If  you could live with one, then that's great... you could potentially snag a bargain. They're probably cheaper because they're harder to sell, I guess. Enthusiasts will always go for the 6m coupe.

Offline Brenton

• 300kph+ club

I would never consider a convertible, ever. However, that's just my personal preference.  If  you could live with one, then that's great... you could potentially snag a bargain. They're probably cheaper because they're harder to sell, I guess. Enthusiasts will always go for the 6m coupe.

but you drive a lotus.
That is not a shot at you but a fact that you are not interested in to much comfort with a car.
I am suprised you are looking for a c2, I thought that would be to soft for your liking.
Or are you aging??? :p

Offline RMV

• A Country Member

but you drive a lotus.
That is not a shot at you but a fact that you are not interested in to much comfort with a car.
I am suprised you are looking for a c2, I thought that would be to soft for your liking.
Or are you aging??? :p

I drive a lotus with factory hard top fitted. Never driven it sans roof, and if lotus offered a proper coupe version of the Elise, that's what I would have bought. Plus the chassis of the lotus is so stiff due to its design/construction that the lack of roof is not an issue for torsional rigidity, unlike conventional cars.

Have always loved the look of the 997.1 Carrera coupe for some reason. Thought about a 996 or 997.1 GT3 but I'm keeping the Lotus and I need a back seat for family drives. Plus, I have no need for two hardcore two-seaters at the moment because space is a major issue for me (as is time). Down the track (pardon the pun) things might change (hope to have more time and storage space), but at that point, I'll be getting a 2.2 or 2.4 911 E or T and a 65 Mustang fastback.