Offline 1st

• Drives: The Historic & Heritage Numberplate market. Historic & Heritage plate dealers & auctioneers.
  • www: HistoricPlates.com.au

""I'll take on anybody in anything on Mulholland with this car," Chris says with the pride of a father of newborn twins.

"There are cars that can go faster on a race course but nothing that could go faster on Mulholland than this. I designed and calibrated the suspension the shocks, the torsion bars, the stabilizer bars, everything for this road. I don't use it for anything else. It's really just a toy." A $40,000 toy to play with two or three times a month. Chris is said to have hit 140 mph on Mulholland and it can be reported that his speedometer passed 155 one afternoon along Sepulveda Boulevard near the intersection of Mulholland and the San Diego Freeway.

"I'll never stop for the police in my car," Chris says. "Not if they're after me with the militia. There are people out there who work for the city who want to get me, but there's no way anybody can catch me in this car. I wouldn't stop if they set up a barricade. If they caught me, they'd impound the car and mess it up. I'd kill myself if anything happened to this car. I love it more than anything."

The Times, April 1977

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-topic-discussions/323773-what-happened-mulholland-king-hill-rsr.html

If you dig cars, and if you're reading this that question is already answered, do yourself a favour and read this thread in it's 312 page entirety (I'm up to about 150-odd).

Mulholland Drive, LA, 1970's

A stretch of road that was raced on back in  the day, that seems no longer than our Waterfall Gully Rd (and about as suburban/dangerous)  but as legendary a bitumen stretch as one is to find.

Chris Banning's pictured RSR engine 911 was customised in period with light weight, high HP and a sloped windscreen, built to be, as it became: "King of the Hill".

There's lots for car guys to discover in the thread. Enjoy.

****Do drive safe out there- it's not the 50's/60's/70's anymore.......just enjoy this nostalgia.****

Cheers

Stew.

Offline tdc911

It's also worth watching the film 'King Of The Mountain' which has Dennis Hopper as a villain. Not a great film by any stretch of the imagination but gives an idea of the Mulholland Drive racing scene.