Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: TBA
  • Name: Peter
At a guess, it's probably more responsive, the Gallardo had thunderous power but there was a bit of a "spool up" period, per se.  It's a lot more responsive than the Murci, but it still has this feeling of a monster welling up behind you before unleashing an assault.

sorry...don't buy it. might FEEL faster, but it's just not possible.

Gallardo

Performance: maximum speed (mph): 196, maximum speed (km/h): 315

and acceleration 0-100 km/h (secs): 4.2   

Power: 382 kW , 520 HP EEC @ 8,000 rpm; , 510 Nm @ 4,250 rpm 

Carrera S

Performance: maximum speed (mph): 182, maximum speed (km/h): 293

and acceleration 0-100 km/h (secs): 4.8

Power: 261 kW , 355 HP EEC @ 6,600 rpm; , 400 Nm @ 4,600 rpm

Different league altogether.

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline Aircon

btw....love how many HP the porsche has :)

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
sorry...don't buy it. might FEEL faster, but it's just not possible.

That's what I'm talking about - *feel*, not stats.

Mark said "more mid range snap in top gear"  (minus parentheses'd stuff)

"snap" is an unusual adverb, so I'm interpreting it as immediacy of delivery and "punch".

I think he's just getting off on being more flirtatious with the brake pedal than the de-facto relationship the Lamborghini forces upon you.

Offline Aircon

That's what I'm talking about - *feel*, not stats.

Mark said "more mid range snap in top gear"  (minus parentheses'd stuff)

"snap" is an unusual adverb, so I'm interpreting it as immediacy of delivery and "punch".

and I'M saying it's all in the mind, because it's just not physically possible.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

and I'M saying it's all in the mind, because it's just not physically possible.

Of course - but that doesn't matter.  The times I spent in GT3s, the only time I really enjoyed it was when we were 5 milliseconds from death - and then not even at the time - it was more a getting out of the car and going "I MADE IT!!!" that brought joy.  Anything less than 99% in that car was kinda ok... same with M3s, M5s, GT2, etc.  Lambos and Ferraris are fun at *any* speed, GT4, 308, Testarossa... even my stupid X1/9 are all way more fun than German cars at anything like normal speeds. (except on interstate trips)

My curiosity here is how the whole package of an otherwise pedaestrian Porsche seems to equate to such a great ownership experience to someone who's had so much "better".

Offline leburpor

• Loves Tom Cruise

My curiosity here is how the whole package of an otherwise pedaestrian Porsche seems to equate to such a great ownership experience to someone who's had so much "better".

Just guessin here...but maybe cumbersome (lambo) vs ease (porsche); practicality as daily driver (porsche) vs frustration at anythin below 100 kmh (lambo); nimble (porsche) vs brute (lambo)....  :scratchchin:

What does Clarkson say when comparing a Lambo to a Porsche??

Offline Aircon

Just guessin here...but maybe cumbersome (lambo) vs ease (porsche); practicality as daily driver (porsche) vs frustration at anythin below 100 kmh (lambo); nimble (porsche) vs brute (lambo)....  :scratchchin:

22kg difference in weight or something...i don't think either would be considered cumbersome.

i have a friend who owns bmws (poor bastard)

whenever a new model comes out, it's crap compared to the model it just superceded.........UNTIL he buys one...then it's the best thing since sliced bread.

i've never driven either a gallardo or a 997, but there's just no way in hell that the carrera s can be as good a driving/owernship experience to anyone unless they've just sold a gallardo and bought a carrera s!

maybe if you could only have one car, yes, but when you've already have and M5??

poor old mark's just talking himself into it.

i guess it's better than beating himself up for selling the G!!

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Tru dat.

Although I don't know the answer to this:

What does Clarkson say when comparing a Lambo to a Porsche??

FWIW, I don't think the Lambo is frustrating at anything below 100kph, I really really enjoy them just cruising around town.  The frustrating part is the freeways... it is seriously soooo difficult to keep it at the limit.  Not just because of it's power and blah, but there's no cruise control, and a 20kph tick on the speedo is about 3mm wide.

Driving back from Melbourne, 80% of my time was spent watching the GPS on the dash because 0.5mm of travel on the throttle is the difference between cruising at 100kph and cruising at 140kph, so I spent most of the time at 90-95 just to be sure.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

i've never driven either a gallardo or a 997, but there's just no way in hell that the carrera s can be as good a driving/owernship experience to anyone unless they've just sold a gallardo and bought a carrera s!

maybe if you could only have one car, yes, but when you've already have and M5??

poor old mark's just talking himself into it.

i guess it's better than beating himself up for selling the G!!

That's what we're waiting to hear really... he's been praising the Porsche no-end and hasn't said much nice stuff about the Lambo.  How much better to drive can a base-level 911 be from a frickin M5 or Lamborghini?

Reckon his wife reads the forums...? :p

Offline leburpor

• Loves Tom Cruise

I seriously doubt he's beating himself up for selling the G. But, only he can comment on that.

Based on the rationale you are applying, everyone will have more enjoyment in driving a car that is statistically and technically (in terms of power) superior. I for one cannot apply this rationale as preference is quite subjective. Mark could be more comfortable with the handling of the Porsche, more comfortable with the way the power is delivered, and a whole lot of other factors...could it be that the Lambo was just 'too powerful' for him to enjoy often enough? But to say he is only preferring the Porsche over his other cars only because he's bought the Porsche is kinda discounting his ability to make a judgement call on his own experiences; which I don't believe is warranted.

I'm confident there are others who have owned a car that is more expensive, more powerful, more sexier and yet they still prefer a cheaper, less powerful, less sexier car. This has to be due to the fact that it suits them better for the environment their in and the activity that they do. Take, YSS for example who spends more time in the GT3 instead of his F430...why? according to him, cuz it's just more fun! plus it's also quicker around the track :)

Perception or "feel" play a big part in consumer satisfaction, irrespective of technical data or physics.