Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: TBA
  • Name: Peter
I'd be curious what Mark's opinion would be comparing a 997 TT to a Gallardo. Often wondered why he didn't go that route. I've asked him but since I can't remember his answer, it couldn't have been that convincing :)

now that would be a much more exciting car.

i can understanding you buying the M5 over a porsche.

but i can't understand preferring a carrera s to a gallardo.

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline Aircon

i can understanding you buying the M5 over a porsche.

but i don't forgive you for it, of course.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
i just can't see how it can be.......HOWEVER.....i'm basing that on ferrari ownership but will the gallardo numbers. maybe i'm being too kind to the lambo, but if MY car had the power to weight figures of the G it would most certainly be no contest.

Well, obviously I'm talking from a mostly pax point of view, but as a "daily driver" I'd take the 355CH over the Gallardo - not that I've been in a 355, but spent enough time in "surrounding" models to feel the difference.  V8 mid-engine Ferraris are nimble, lithe creatures, which give you a one-ness with the road.  The Gallardo has amazing turn-in and grip capacity for what it is, but it's still a bloody spaceship, and doesn't really offer much useful feedback until 150+. 

That's one of the big differences I've found between Ferrari and Lambo - no matter the period - the kind of stuff that on-paper stats just can't show.  Ferrari give a visceral experience at the speed limit through to about 75% of top speed, below speed limit it's kinda fun, and above 75% it's kinda hair-raising.  Lamborghini ... anything under 150 is just plain cruising, and they are rock solid through sweeping bends like a mag-lev train and loving going flat-out all the way to 95% of top speed, but they just feel... *bigger*  The Gallardo is about the size of a Toyota Echo (or something), but god dam if it doesn't feel like you're navigating a cruiseliner when you're in it.

Offline leburpor

• Loves Tom Cruise

but i don't forgive you for it, of course.

lol..i planted the seed with YSS yesterday, the idea of me buying his 997 GT3 in a year or so :D I'd be in heaven to have a stable of an M5 + 997 GT3... dreams can turn to reality with a bit of sweat... or convince my boss that we need a company sponsored Porsche racing car!

So, all is not lost...yet!

Offline Aircon

Ferrari give a visceral experience at the speed limit through to about 75% of top speed

well...i was sort of basing my comments on thinking that would be the case with the G too....but if that's not the case...then just forget i said anything except there's no way in hell the porsche is in the same league power/torque to weight.

put the two cars side by side and the g would walk away in a top gear roll on.

Offline Aircon

lol..i planted the seed with YSS yesterday, the idea of me buying his 997 GT3 in a year or so :D I'd be in heaven to have a stable of an M5 + 997 GT3... dreams can turn to reality with a bit of sweat... or convince my boss that we need a company sponsored Porsche racing car!

So, all is not lost...yet!

pffffffffttttt

gunna   :)

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

well...i was sort of basing my comments on thinking that would be the case with the G too....but if that's not the case...then just forget i said anything except there's no way in hell the porsche is in the same league power/torque to weight.

Well, you have to try for yourself, but I find Lamborghinis very aloof - this is me coming from a love of tiny gokart like cars - but the L-car doesn't have the connection to the road that cars like Ferrari and Lotus have.   Can't comment on Porsche... :p

The fun part about driving around town is... well, you're in a f*cking Lamborghini!!!  But out of town and on the open road, you really need to be able to have some nice long 100+ mph sweepers to really enjoy what the Bull offers. 

Actually, they're closer to the Testarossa than anything else, I'm sure you've spent time in those - much the same "rock-star" feeling going about town, but not really fun out on the road until 100mph+.

Offline leburpor

• Loves Tom Cruise

pffffffffttttt

gunna   :)

Quite possibly so, me financial resources kinda a bummer at the moment which stops me from owning nearly $500k worth of cars  :faint:

Anyway, am looking forward to see where else this thread goes. But, for now I have to sign off for a while as I'll be away. Hopefully, will post some happy snaps of exotics from Vegas!...take care boys  :headbang:

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

me financial resources kinda a bummer at the moment which stops me from owning nearly $500k worth of cars  :faint:

Me too, except change 500 for 5.

Anyway, am looking forward to see where else this thread goes. But, for now I have to sign off for a while as I'll be away. Hopefully, will post some happy snaps of exotics from Vegas!...take care boys  :headbang:

Have fun!  I'm sure you'll still post from your portable playstation thingy!

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Sorry, I fell asleep.....

I'm not saying the Gallardo is no good or that the 911 is a better car in every respect.  All I said was that the Porsche is very responsive in top gear compared to other cars I've owned including the M5 and the Gallardo.  The Lambo has nothing in top at 100km/h - it is dead at that speed and needs 2 or more downshifts to overtake while the Carrera pulls hard at that speed in sixth.  The Lambo is quicker at high revs and is higher geared and has more power if you wring its neck.  Remember that I've done a lot of open road miles in Gallardos so if you haven't driven either, you'll just have to believe me. 

I didn't trade my Gallardo for a Carrera S remember.  I got sick of the Lambo, sold it and then went looking for something new.  Looking back on the Gallardo, I didn't enjoy the total ownership experience as much as I'm enjoying the Porsche experience.  The Gallardo was unreliable and felt more like a bitser than the Porsche (or M5).  The Porsche feels incredibly honed and developed so the Lambo is probably a better bet if you want that raw, loud experience.  But the Gallardo is no Ferrari for driving feel.

I'll say it again - I loved the Lambo for hard driving at high speed but that sort of driving experience is getting harder to find due to heavier policing of the roads we drive.  I'd have another Lambo if they make a better car though.  I'm not into one brand at the exclusion of others - I don't get that one-eyed thing at all.  I like the theatre of the Lambo although the Murci does this best of all.

Re Aemel's question on the 911 Turbo - I would have been happy with one of those but only automatics were in stock (or on a boat).  Most Turbos are sold as autos - not my cup of tea.  I've always liked the 'no spoiler' look of the Carrera too and read it steered better than the AWD Turbo.  As I disliked the Lambos dead steering which other have attributed to the AWD, I was keener on the 2WD.  I would probably have bought a GT3 but they have stopped making them so the dealer couldn't supply - and anyway the practicality of the Carrera has turned out to have its advantages.

Finally, I'm not one of those people who convince themselves that whatever they have bought is the best car going.  I've complained about things I don't like about the M5 since I got it.