Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

and I'M saying it's all in the mind, because it's just not physically possible.

The Gallardo is very unhappy in top gear at 100km/h.  Unlike the V10 in the M5, it is harsh and out of its power band at this speed.  It isn't in my mind.

Edit:  To be clearer than my first post was....  I'm only talking about overtaking from 100km/h and accelerating through to 150km/h using top gear.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Well, that clears that up then. :)

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter
Sorry, I fell asleep.....

how rude!

The Lambo has nothing in top at 100km/h - it is dead at that speed and needs 2 or more downshifts to overtake while the Carrera pulls hard at that speed in sixth.  The Lambo is quicker at high revs and is higher geared and has more power if you wring its neck. 

how many rpm are they both doing at 100kph? the porsche lacks a lot of torque, comparitively, so it'd have to be a lot lower geared to make up for that. i thought they'd both be doing around 2100rpm @ 100kph.

I didn't trade my Gallardo for a Carrera S remember.  I got sick of the Lambo, sold it and then went looking for something new.  Looking back on the Gallardo, I didn't enjoy the total ownership experience as much as I'm enjoying the Porsche experience.  The Gallardo was unreliable and felt more like a bitser than the Porsche (or M5).  The Porsche feels incredibly honed and developed so the Lambo is probably a better bet if you want that raw, loud experience.  But the Gallardo is no Ferrari for driving feel.

yes...i remember.

that's rather disappointing to hear (for someone who's dreamt about gallardo ownership)....although i guess it's better you finding out from first hand experience than me!

I'm not into one brand at the exclusion of others - I don't get that one-eyed thing at all.

no..me neither. i love porsches...but not in my wildest imagination did i think the gallardo was bad enough overall that the carrera s is a better ownership experience.

Re Aemel's question on the 911 Turbo - I would have been happy with one of those but only automatics were in stock (or on a boat).  Most Turbos are sold as autos - not my cup of tea.  I've always liked the 'no spoiler' look of the Carrera too and read it steered better than the AWD Turbo.  As I disliked the Lambos dead steering which other have attributed to the AWD, I was keener on the 2WD.

well there's something for you to go for a drive in one day soon, hey?

Finally, I'm not one of those people who convince themselves that whatever they have bought is the best car going.  I've complained about things I don't like about the M5 since I got it. 

i was only kiddin'!

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline Aircon

The Gallardo is very unhappy in top gear at 100km/h.  Unlike the V10 in the M5, it is harsh and out of its power band at this speed.  It isn't in my mind.

Edit:  To be clearer than my first post was....  I'm only talking about overtaking from 100km/h and accelerating through to 150km/h using top gear.

Well, that clears that up then. :)

maybe...maybe not!

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
that's rather disappointing to hear (for someone who's dreamt about gallardo ownership)....although i guess it's better you finding out from first hand experience than me!

Well, given Mark's everyday 3-4 years worth of ownership the whole leave it in top gear to overtake thing might be more of an issue, but for me one of the coolest thrills is it drops a couple cogs, the bull snorts in your ear, and then delivers a rush of torque to get around the next mobile chicane.  I don't do anywhere near the road miles to get sick of that sort of thing. :)

Offline Aircon

Well, given Mark's everyday 3-4 years worth of ownership the whole leave it in top gear to overtake thing might be more of an issue, but for me one of the coolest thrills is it drops a couple cogs, the bull snorts in your ear, and then delivers a rush of torque to get around the next mobile chicane.  I don't do anywhere near the road miles to get sick of that sort of thing. :)

but the G still has more torque at lower rpm than the P

i'd like to run a stopwatch on it.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

but the G still has more torque at lower rpm than the P

i'd like to run a stopwatch on it.

The max torque figures don't tell the whole story. 

The Gallardo doesn't like low revs - it shudders nastily if you drop too low.  At 100km/h in top, the car isn't happy and if you accelerate, it doesn't pull.  At higher revs, it flies.  It really needs 3,000 to feel comfortable and smooth out the vibes.  At about 3,500, the exhaust valve opens and the torque feels like it doubles.  Above about 140km/h it starts to pull much harder and at 160km/h harder again.

As Ash said, it is much more fun to drop it down 2 or 3 cogs and let it rip - it sounds better than any other car I've driven or been in when driven this way.   With the e-gear at least, the power band isn't an issue. 

My observation about the 911's tractability was more in comparison to the M5 which I'd just taken on the same country trip, although it applies to the G as well.  Incidentally, the BMW's V10 will allow you to drop to much lower revs and pull cleanly than the Gallardo.  Despite having a taller top gear than the Lambo, the BMW pulls more easily from low speeds.  The Lambo has a fraction more go at higher revs than the M5.

Offline Aircon

The max torque figures don't tell the whole story. 

The Gallardo doesn't like low revs - it shudders nastily if you drop too low.  At 100km/h in top, the car isn't happy and if you accelerate, it doesn't pull.  At higher revs, it flies.  It really needs 3,000 to feel comfortable and smooth out the vibes.  At about 3,500, the exhaust valve opens and the torque feels like it doubles.  Above about 140km/h it starts to pull much harder and at 160km/h harder again.

As Ash said, it is much more fun to drop it down 2 or 3 cogs and let it rip - it sounds better than any other car I've driven or been in when driven this way.   With the e-gear at least, the power band isn't an issue. 

My observation about the 911's tractability was more in comparison to the M5 which I'd just taken on the same country trip, although it applies to the G as well.  Incidentally, the BMW's V10 will allow you to drop to much lower revs and pull cleanly than the Gallardo.  Despite having a taller top gear than the Lambo, the BMW pulls more easily from low speeds.  The Lambo has a fraction more go at higher revs than the M5.

i'm so disappointed.

and you've just saved me $300k!

i guess every cloud has a silver lining :)

Offline Aircon

the above post shows Today at 01:21:47  but was posted at 2:50pm.

what's going on?

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

i'm so disappointed.

and you've just saved me $300k!

i guess every cloud has a silver lining :)

Don't let me put you off - take one for a drive.  I'll certainly be looking at the 09 facelift model when it comes.