Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com
From here: http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,24038285-1243,00.html :eek:

Sen-Constable Steve Bowden said he was stunned when the driver asked him if he would have chased him in a pursuit.

"I had a conversation with the driver and he was really blase about the whole incident . . . he was really not too fussed about it.

"He actually questioned me (saying) if he decided to keep going was I prepared to follow him or chase him.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
LOL - 2000 model Porsche and the best he can come up with is 205! :confused:

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Must have just been a Boxster :p

MELBOURNE - Police have confiscated a A$50,000 ($64,000) Porsche after they caught its "moron" owner driving at 154km/h in Melbourne's inner-city Lygon Street.

The car's owner, in his early 20s, will rely on friends or public transport this weekend after being caught driving nearly 100km above the 60km/h limit in North Carlton last night.

The driver was a "moron" who appeared indifferent to how dangerously he was driving, Senior Constable Steve Bowden, of the Yarra traffic management unit, told reporters today.

"I had a conversation with the driver there, he was really blase about the whole incident ... he shrugged his shoulders as if to say `yeah'.

"So I've shown him the display (on the speed gun), he's again not really with it at the time, when I've interviewed him about his speeding and the fact there is quite a lot of pedestrians and cyclists around, he was not really too fussed about that.

"At the end of the interview he actually asked me, if he had decided to keep going, how was I prepared to chase him or follow him?

"He said: `well I can get this thing up to 205km/h'. You are putting yourself and the public at risk so you should take a long hard look at yourself.

"154km/h in a 60km/h zone ... it's just not on."

The driver, who had a friend with him at the time, will face charges of dangerous driving and police also impounded his car under hoon legislation until Monday.

"I think he was a bit surprised that he was losing his car for that period of time," Snr Constable Bowden said.

"I don't think it was really registering or sinking in at the time, maybe once he's thought about it, the message will get home to him."

Snr Constable Bowden detected the man speeding at 8.30pm and driving illegally on tram tracks to overtake traffic and chased him a few hundred metres up Lygon St.

The driver was caught exactly two months to the day and less than a kilometre away from where driver Raed "Ali" Marouche and his friend Mohammed Moussa were also killed on Lygon St when the car they were in hit a parked car.

Police said the driver's attitude was disappointing at a time when it had been a near-record six days without a fatality on Victoria's road.

That ended today when a man was killed on a road at Newham, north of Melbourne, taking the road toll to 172, compared to 171 at this time last year.

More than 5000 drivers have had their vehicles impounded since "hoon" legislation was introduced a year ago.

Offline leburpor

• Loves Tom Cruise

So, 150 in a 60 zone is not on..wonder what they think of 260 in a 100 zone..hmmmm..

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter
So, 150 in a 60 zone is not on..wonder what they think of 260 in a 100 zone..hmmmm..

that's prefectly acceptable.

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline OzCarSightings

• Will eat your baby
  • Photographer

• Drives: GenF HSV/Golf R32/motorbike
  • www: JanGlovac.com
or 320 in a 130 zone.....although the officer did say it was "all clear up ahead so go for it".

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

http://leader-news.whereilive.com.au/news/story/driver-in-line-to-lose-car

Driver in line to lose car

A COBURG man clocked doing more than 150km/h earlier this year in Lygon St could be forced to surrender his Porsche after he was caught hoon driving for a third time.

Constable Evan Searle said police planned to use anti-hoon laws to seize the man’s car after he was booked doing burnouts on Sydney Rd, Coburg, on September 10.

Under “three-strikes” powers, a car can be taken and sold by the Government if the driver is found guilty of three hoon-related offences within three years. Car valuation website redbook.com.au indicates the 2001 silver Porsche Boxster could fetch more than $40,000.

The car was temporarily impounded when the man was caught driving 154km/h in a 60km/h zone in Lygon St, Carlton, on July 16, just hours after he was booked over burnouts in that area.

He allegedly bragged to police at the time of the offence that he could have reached 205km/h.

But he was apparently circumspect when his car was impounded following the September 10 offence.

“He was very reserved with me,” Constable Searle said.

The car has since been returned to the man.

Constable Searle said police were preparing to lay charges against the man and will ask the court to forfeit the car.

No date has been set for the hearing.

Constable Searle said the anti-hoon powers, in effect since July 2006, were having an impact.

“It definitely gives hoons something to think about when their car can be taken from them,” he said.

Sen-Constable Adam West said four Victorian drivers have permanently lost their car since anti-hoon legislation was introduced in July 2006. 

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

LOL - now when the Joker goes "Where does he get those wonderful toys?" we know the answer - he confiscates them from hoons in the burbs! :p