Offline shack

• 300kph+ club
  • I am not here .....

Question.

Which would you buy i.e. FY 17 New Macan S or MY16 Macan Turbo for wife.

Price difference approx. $15k in favor of the Macan S

Offline JBO

• Drives: Something that doesn't meet my aspirations...yet...
Turbo because turbo!
Mate's dad has one and it's a little weapon.
If your wife drives with a light right foot she won't get into any trouble.
If notůMacan S!
This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you. - C Montgomery Burns.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Offline Fortis

• 300kph+ club

Offline jamesatfish

Turbo.

We have the Turbo, and aside from the small improvement in performance the biggest difference are the options that are standard on the Turbo that you'd have to tick on the S.  When we bought ours that included things like PASM with air suspension, extra leather in the interior, sports exhaust, the colour-coded side blade, the adaptive seats with memory, dynamic lighting, keyless entry etc etc.

The $$ difference between a Turbo and an S with the same options was fairly insignificant.

Offline shack

• 300kph+ club
  • I am not here .....

Turbo.

We have the Turbo, and aside from the small improvement in performance the biggest difference are the options that are standard on the Turbo that you'd have to tick on the S.  When we bought ours that included things like PASM with air suspension, extra leather in the interior, sports exhaust, the colour-coded side blade, the adaptive seats with memory, dynamic lighting, keyless entry etc etc.

The $$ difference between a Turbo and an S with the same options was fairly insignificant.

Thanks - that's what I figured as well. Assume your missus drives it - any comments ??

Offline jamesatfish

I spend more time driving the Macan than my wife - she drives an RS6.

It's a very capable car though somewhat lacking in character (particularly in the noise department) as seems to be the main criticism of turbocharged Porsches these days.  More than enough grunt, handling and braking to make the Clyde Mountain (NSW South Coast) trip enjoyable on a quiet morning, but that's about as much sporty driving as it sees.

The Sports Chrono option that gives you 'Sports Plus' as a drive setting seems like a mandatory option, but the shift patterns are pretty horrid if you're not using Sports Plus with Manual mode.  There's no way to separate the exhaust settings from the shift pattern settings so for around town if you want to use any of the Auto modes without holding onto each gear for waaaay to long you'll have the even-quieter standard exhaust setting.

The DSG shifts are amazingly smooth and you can drop a couple of cogs at any rev range without being bumped or shunted by the gearbox.  Again a huge contrast to the RS6 which still uses an old-skool torque converter automatic in which you really feel the downshifts.

I love the customisable digital display that's probably standard in all Porsches these days - it's the only car I've driven where you can configure the display to show oil temp, boost pressure, distance to destination, ETA and fuel range on a single display screen.

Not sure if they fixed it in later cars but in ours the folding mirrors don't automatically fold when the car is locked - you have to hold down the lock button (on the door or the key) if you want them folded in.  Minor quirk but one that I don't really understand.

Offline 1q2w3e4r

We've just ordered a GTS, comes with a lot of the goodies you'd want on the S as standard without the full price hit of the turbo. 

Offline shack

• 300kph+ club
  • I am not here .....

Thanks jamesatfish & 1q2w3e4r

Seems like maybe the Turbo secondhand is the way to go

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

I spend more time driving the Macan than my wife - she drives an RS6.

so between the 2, would you buy a Macan turbo or na RS6?