Offline Brenton

• 300kph+ club
  • DJ's like a mad ...........

• Drives: Yes
Good to see another opinion but I was thinking the same thing, they're either crap or they're not.
Depends on what you are after.
The interior is one of the biggest issues as they are not classic looking nor are they modern.
I personally like the simplicity of them.
As far as to drive the 996 has one of the best feeling through the steering wheel of all the 911 I have driven.
I actually found the 997c2s to feel too much like ( not quite as much feed back ) the 996 c2.
The gt3 is another level in Feed back.
I chose the turbo over the 997c2s as I wanted better performance and I also wanted the more striking looks that the turbo offers.
As I said I only did not get the 6 gt3 as there is no rear seats for my boy.

As far as lemon well not in my opinion but I am bias but I did have the option of all the cars discussed here.

I have not driven a 3 turbo but did not consider them as I wanted a bit more technology in the car that they did not offer. Also if the 6 turbo was not better then it would not have sold.
Now do not shoot me for this comment. I was not including nostalgia or desirability in the better comment.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

I guess it might depend on what level of quality you're happy with, one may demend one level another something else is ok, but as long as it's reliable and is a real Porsche, ie a 911, that should give you the basic experience you're after.

Offline alvchua

• Drives: Old junks
I think the only "lemon" in the 996 range were the early 3.4 ones. AFAIK, the later Gen 2 3.6 996 were all fairly robust and the Turbo versions were definitely quite reliable.
Forgiveness is easier to achieve than permission!

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

:scratchchin:

Anyone receive the latest edition of their Wheels magazine?

Wheels Top 50 Cars Ever;

5) E92 M3 :woohoo: :cool:
4) Ferrari 458 Italia
3) McLaren F1
2) Porsche 996 Carrera 3.6
1) Ferrari 599 GTB

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A burgandy car.
I havent read it but knowing Wheels Magazine maybe it should have been titled 50 top cars ever that we staff members cant afford and probably havent driven ourselves. :)

Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David
Where's the Getz ?

I know the getz is a long running joke here, but it maybe should be in the list
It seems it has been the most economical and the cheapest car to repair, as well as being near the top for reliability, in Australia for what seems like 10 years.
Thats quite an achievement

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

I know the getz is a long running joke here, but it maybe should be in the list
It seems it has been the most economical and the cheapest car to repair, as well as being near the top for reliability, in Australia for what seems like 10 years.
Thats quite an achievement

You are right.  The Getz has all the characteristics of a truly excellent refrigerator.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

You are right.  The Getz has all the characteristics of a truly excellent refrigerator.

wrong. :tilt:

I put a new door seal on my fridge recently.

I've now spent more money on repairs to my fridge than I have my Getz!