Offline JohnW

• Drives: 1958 Corvette Restomod, Porsche 911 ST Restomod
If you like the early pre impact bumper 911's, here's a little project I've embarked on that should be of interest. Based on the penultimate air-cooled 911, inspired by the lines of the 71-72 911 ST.

This was how it started out, a good 964 that had been sitting around for a few years, with all the usual 3.6 leaky bits.

Offline JohnW

Usual engine issues, case thru bolt leaks as well as every seal that probably could leak, leaking!

Offline looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
I'm keen to see how you tackle the side sills on this project, that is one of the areas that often ruins a 964 backdate.

Offline JohnW

I'm keen to see how you tackle the side sills on this project, that is one of the areas that often ruins a 964 backdate.
I agree, the pipework is one of the challenges, I'll post how I'm getting that to look neat and keep the profile correct without using fibreglass sills.

Offline JohnW

Dropped the engine and gearbox to see where all the oil was coming from. This car actually drove beautifully but you wouldn't want to leave it on your drive over night :rolleyes:

Offline JohnW

Couple of problem areas, case thru bolts were OK, a few cylinder base seals were leaking, cam chain covers leaking badly and a number of other seals were weeping oil.

Offline looney

I agree, the pipework is one of the challenges, I'll post how I'm getting that to look neat and keep the profile correct without using fibreglass sills.

Ill do some digging, i seem to recall someone made a new set of pipes that run under the car specifically for backdate conversions.

Offline JohnW

Ill do some digging, i seem to recall someone made a new set of pipes that run under the car specifically for backdate conversions.

I've actually got a pretty nifty system that runs along the inside floor so it's completely hidden,it just arrived today so I'll send some pics when I unpack it but would be interested in anything that makes this easier.

Offline JohnW

Car completely stripped and panel work set up for some cutting and welding. I'm using the long nose lock slam panel, just think it looks better than modifying the lock. The luggage space is much deeper on the 964 so some work is needed to make the S lip bumper fit as I don't want it to look bulky as this is another area that spoils other projects I've seen. The oil cooler and condenser will need to be slightly repositioned also.

Offline looney