Offline alvchua

• Drives: Old junks
It does look like its been cared for and has had money spent on it! Is it worth 32k? I suppose yes if u look at low kms and provided engine and body work is genuine as photos are always difficult to genuinely gauge and cost of restoration!
And it is an s4 too! As for colour, black on black can be a bugger to keep looking its finest!
Forgiveness is easier to achieve than permission!

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al

All the work done seems to be cosmetic.

Might be nice if you're looking for something to cruise about in.
C'mon, do it!

Offline LotusLee

• Drives: Lotus Esprit Turbo, Porsche 928 SE, 1948 GMC Pick-up, 1970 240Z
If it was me, I'd take my time and import a similar car from the UK, probably for close to half the price, if you can be bothered with a bit of hassle! exchange rate still good, so a viable proposition.

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.
I wouldnt import a 928 myself. They aren't like a Ferrari that would be put away for winter. The saving wouldnt be enough to cover the risk, hassle and waiting time to find the car and get it here and on the road. Imagine how many people have thought they have done all the right things importing a car, including a PPI only to get a car here in not quite the condition they expected. I know of one such Ferrari that has been on the market in Australia over two years that came in that way.

Offline LotusLee

I wouldnt import a 928 myself. They aren't like a Ferrari that would be put away for winter. The saving wouldnt be enough to cover the risk, hassle and waiting time to find the car and get it here and on the road. Imagine how many people have thought they have done all the right things importing a car, including a PPI only to get a car here in not quite the condition they expected. I know of one such Ferrari that has been on the market in Australia over two years that came in that way.
[/quote

You need to pick the right car for sure, but there are enthusiast owned 928's that are immaculate, low mileage examples and still considerably cheaper than here, (even allowing for all the import costs) also bear in mind that WA has no yearly inspections, so you could be buying a whole heap of trouble without a PPI, even if the car looks immaculate.

Yes, there's always a risk importing, but that applies to interstate purchases also, unless you are prepared to travel.

One other thing to consider is that UK cars go through annual MOT tests that are pretty stringent, I would have more confidence in a car that has just gone through one of those tests than buying a car from some Australian states.

I have imported a couple of cars and my third starts it's journey from the UK today, importing is not for everyone, but it's an option, I wanted a specific 928, so really didn't have any option, I'll post pictures of the car when it arrives (and let you know if I wish I hadn't :0)

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.
Its always a risk, I saw a Mustang convertible years ago that someone imported and I could not believe the amount of rust in it. The car looks great now but when it first arrived it looked ready for the scrap metal yard. The guy that brought it over was incredibly shocked when it arrived.

I also went from Virginia to Kansas to look at a Bronco I was buying in the US that was Grandpa's super low mileage with excellent paint, in excellent condition. I was glad I did as the car had holes filled with bog, switches hanging out of the dash and doors, cracked glass and more. In Australia Id rather travel and see the car myself as well as have a PPI. Overseas I'd want the person doing the PPI to be recommended by someone I know, who knows them personally.

Offline Clive005

I have had a bit of a look on some of the UK sites and there seems to be a lot of nice cars there and a few 928 GTS's for a good price. LotusLee can you give me a bit of a idea on the cost involved with importing one from the UK, I must say I do like 928GTS. Here's a bit of a bute

http://www.4starclassics.com/Porsche-928-GTS-For-Sale/

Would love to see your pic's when yours arive

Clive

Offline LotusLee

Unfortunately, a GTS is not an option for import (unless it is via the personal import route) cars that qualify under the pre 89 scheme must have been manufactured prior to the 1st of Jan 1989, this still allows for the importation of S4 928 and rarities such as the 928SE.

Good sources for 928's for sale are Pistonheads, UK ebay, UK Auto trader, 928.org & carandclassic to name a few.

Costs to import are in part related to the purchase price of the car. To get my car as far as Fremantle, it has cost me $2,850, this includes collection from the sellers address and comprehensive shipping insurance, once it arrives, you have 5% customs duty to pay, then 10% GST (bear in mind, these charges are based on the purchase price of the car, plus shipping, plus insurance) then you have normal port charges, quarantine charges etc. (and possibly other charges, if they think the vehicle needs steam cleaning for example)

To get a more accurate figure, obtain an online quote based on your expected purchase price of a car, Cargo online is one of the main shipping companies in Oz.

Send me a PM with your email and I'll send some photo's

Cheers

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Its always a risk, I saw a Mustang convertible years ago that someone imported and I could not believe the amount of rust in it. The car looks great now but when it first arrived it looked ready for the scrap metal yard. The guy that brought it over was incredibly shocked when it arrived.

This is an everyday occurrence now days. With eBay and the internet, the arm chair buyers are getting ripped off left, right and centre. Lost count of how many times I have pulled a car out of a container to find that it was the biggest POS. But these guys still insist on doing it themselves. Itís one reason why I donít do a lot of importing now days. People complain that you are selling at inflated prices but they just donít understand that there is a lot of work that happens before the car even gets here to make sure itís not a rusted out heap of junk. Oh well, can only laugh about it now.

I also went from Virginia to Kansas to look at a Bronco I was buying in the US that was Grandpa's super low mileage with excellent paint, in excellent condition. I was glad I did as the car had holes filled with bog, switches hanging out of the dash and doors, cracked glass and more. In Australia Id rather travel and see the car myself as well as have a PPI. Overseas I'd want the person doing the PPI to be recommended by someone I know, who knows them personally.

hahaha - but that is a "Driven on Sundays" car over there!!!!     :p

If there is one thing the Yanks can do well, that is tarting up dog turds to look gold plated!!    :doh: