Offline benedictz

Hi guys, i'm new to this forum and looking to buy my first exotic, being only in my 20s, i can only afford an entry level 944, i've done heaps of research and realised that maintenance is a major problem for the 944's. I would love to hear any comments be it good or bad about the 944 from the experienced porsche owners. Any advice would be much appreciated as it is for me to determine if i should or should not buy it. Thanks and regards.

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al

What are you budgetting? 944's are around from about $2500 upward of $20K. There's nothing particularly complex about them that any mechanic can't address, so unless you throw a number out there that you have budgetted, it's going to be hard to say whether you're dreaming or not.

Offline Dan

Depends. Can you do your own work or will you be paying a mechanic? If so get the best 944 even if it seems overpriced to the others. If it's outside your budget wait.

They are getting old now and many are too tired and worn out to be feasible. They have galvanized metal so rust shouldn't be an issue. Trim can be and Porsche parts also aren't cheap. Likewise engines, gearboxes and running gear.

There tends to be a pecking order amongst them too. Turbos offer the biggest thrills but the S2 probably makes a better all round driver.

Research the Rennlist and Clark's garage sites for appropriate info.

Offline benedictz

Thanks guys, here's the link of a dealer's car i'll be looking at later today..

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/dealer/details.aspx?Cr=0&R=8042718&keywords=&trecs=1&__sid=129AF8D26A91&__Ns=pCar_RankSort_Int32|1||pCar_PriceSort_Decimal|1||pCar_Make_String|0||pCar_Model_String|0&__Qpb=true&__Nne=15&seot=1&__N=1216%201247%204294963765%204294963709%20898&silo=1011

I'm not looking to spend alot of money on it, and i'm not savvy mechanically therefore a mechanic would be my choice to get any work done. Most importantly takes me to places as this will be my daily to and from work. i hope this helps  :scratchchin:

About turbo, i'm driving a jap import turbo right now, and definitely know its great fun having a turbo, but this non-turbo will hopefully satisfy my exotic crave for now, till then i need to work harder and save more money, and pray for lotto!  :p

Offline benedictz

Oh one more thing i would like to add, if anyone knows an estimate price to replace a cracked dashboard on the 944s and where to get them done? I havent seen how bad the crack is yet, but according to the dealer, its pretty minor. Thanks again!

Offline waz356

Why would you look at an auto?

Where are you? Join the local Porsche club and ask questions. Check the local Porsche club website and look at the classifieds. Ask who they use for their servicing. Make yourself known to other owners.

Offline benedictz

i'm located in Sydney NSW? Any local porsche clubs around here? I thought this was the closest i could find.

Offline benedictz

Yeah. thanks i've looked that up before, and there were no 944's  :(

Offline Dan

If this is the one you want, have Bob Whym http://www.bwaauto.com.au/  or Sean Buchanon http://www.landsharkoz.com/tech/bb/bbipr.htm
check it out. Sean races and has an excellent understanding of them.

Oh and count on around $1k  to have the dash removed, reskinned and refitted.