Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.
LOL is this guy really Porsche's CEO?

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=23033

PORSCHE COULD BUILD IN CHINA
It's who builds it, not where, says Porsche boss.

This guy should do a little research on Fender guitar prices or for that matter what people think of Boxsters.
He probably thinks that people consider Boxsters a real Porsche as well..... Then again people that buy Boxsters would buy Made in China Boxsters I guess............. but I cant see 911 buyers going for it.

If they make the move Im gonna turn into a vandal. I'll have to print up some huge, gold, made in China stickers and find some Made in China Porsches to put them on.

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason

Surely any Porsche made in China should then sell at the same average prices as cars built by Great Wall motors?

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Why do you think that if a Porsche is built in China it is going to be of inferior quality??? Why are you ready to jump to conclusions about this???

OK – granted the “Made in China” label has always had a stigma about it regarding quality but it’s not always the fault of the Chinese. It is really up to the Company’s that are using China to produce their products to dictate what the finished product will be.

I deal with a lot of electronic equipment and it’s all Made in China, but it is of very high quality and very reliable. The reason is that the company’s who are having their product made in China are keeping a very close eye on quality and working with the Chinese to educate them.

One of the biggest reasons that crap comes out of China is the fact that the original company wants cheap materials and cheap labour – and that will equal a poor product at the end of the day. But a lot of these Company’s don’t want their products to last for years, a normal warranty period is 12 months…… call me a  conspiracy theorist but just think about those products you have owned that had giving up the ghost a few months out of warranty.

I have dealt with smaller company’s over in China who are trying to make a go of it and I have been surprised at the level their work at to make sure their can provide a quality product at a reasonable price.

And what’s with the Boxster  bashing???  You have to start somewhere………

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
For me it's got nothing to do with China, but I vehemently (have i even spelt that right?) disagree with a strong economy like china being fed good work, when places in UK, ireland and Europe are struggling.....

Porsche AND ANYONE should build closer to home, China is busy enough IMO..

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

What will they save by building in China ? rent on their factories ? BS
There's more to this than they are letting on.
If the people and the quality will be the same it will cost the same so how will they save money ?

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

For me it's got nothing to do with China, but I vehemently (have i even spelt that right?) disagree with a strong economy like china being fed good work, when places in UK, ireland and Europe are struggling.....

Porsche AND ANYONE should build closer to home, China is busy enough IMO..

It appears you can get a Mao Suit in all sorts of colours now, you would look good in one, we can have FF embroidered  on one of the pockets and you will be all set for the takeover

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

What will they save by building in China ? rent on their factories ? BS
There's more to this than they are letting on.
If the people and the quality will be the same it will cost the same so how will they save money ?

You are missing the point a little, they will not be taking their people over there, only the ones that will look after quality controller/management/etc.

I don’t understand how it works exactly but materials are cheaper over there, if you purchased a lump of raw steel over there to make something it costs way less than if you purchase it here, even if it may have come from here originally. And the labour costs would be significantly less – but this shouldn’t cause problems with quality if their keep an eye on it. The workers will do exactly what they have been shown, so you show them how to do a quality job, they will do it, as long as quality control is kept very strict. And it won’t matter if it takes them twice as long to do the job with a bit of quality as it still won’t cost anywhere near labour costs in the Mother land.   

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason

Why do you think that if a Porsche is built in China it is going to be of inferior quality??? Why are you ready to jump to conclusions about this???

OK – granted the “Made in China” label has always had a stigma about it regarding quality but it’s not always the fault of the Chinese.

And what’s with the Boxster  bashing???  You have to start somewhere………

What makes you think Im saying that a Porsche made in China will be of inferior quality? Why are you ready to jump to conclusions about this???

My comment is all about the STIGMA of building cars in China....
New Porsche buyers have HUGE ego's ..... build all the 911s in China and watch 911 new car sales dive.

Just like Fender guitars made in different countries have a stigma of inferiority so will Porsche's made in China. Will Porsche's made in China be sold at comparable prices to other cars built in China or cheaper than German made cars, like the Fender guitars made outside of the US? I dont think so.

The made in China cars will be a cheap way for Porsche to extend its market and sell to people that want the badge and cant afford a 911 or Cayenne, but they still wont be cheap. The top end models wont be made in China for a very long time.

Boxsters are only just becoming starter Porsches now...
they were originally sold as a fashion accessory to people that wouldnt pay for or couldnt afford a 911. Thats why the market is flooded with cheap, low km, Boxsters.
Boxsters are quite decent, reliable cars, Ive commented previously that Im surprised that no one has opened a Boxster, car hire business..... yet

Boxster Bashing has been around since they came out because of the ugly looks of the first model and they have their own stigma as being the povo Porsche. I quite like the later Boxsters and Cayman, its the world that has given them the STIGMA, not me personally.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Agree a bit there, I've never felt the same about Jags since they left the UK and Boxsters and Caymans are great cars their only problem is the 911 and that they have been feminised.

Offline 98octane

... labour costs in the Fatherland.

Fixed.  "Motherland" is what FF calls the UK :P