Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

What makes you think Im saying that a Porsche made in China will be of inferior quality? Why are you ready to jump to conclusions about this???

My comment is all about the STIGMA of building cars in China....

OK - and why is there this STIGMA do you think?????

Anyway, I don't see them making the 911 in China for a long time.......

Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David
CEO's say lots of things
sometimes they do this to illicit a response

some companies owe lots of money and would love to flaunt their iconic brand status to receive tax concessions from whichever government they might owe money to etc.

Offline Paulstar

My comment is all about the STIGMA of building cars in China....
New Porsche buyers have HUGE ego's ..... build all the 911s in China and watch 911 new car sales dive.

I don't know too much about this statement. So many 'luxury goods' are now made in China it's a bit ridiculous and though i personally don't consumer these goods sometimes i'll buy them as presents and it eats me to pay a premium for something that is 'Made in China' but many others happily will.

We live in a country / in a time when people will happily pay good money in a fancy pants retail store for a normal business shirt with the MADE IN CHINA tag emblazoned on it. ~$150 for a shirt MADE IN CHINA? it probably costs ~$75cents in Guandong but people will happily pay.

I think the porka's will still sell even tho they are made in China, but not to people like me - or at least not at made in Germany prices.

I think it'll hurt the brand, it goes against the 'philosophy' http://www.porsche.com/international/aboutporsche/porschephilosophy/principalperson/madeingermany/

Offline CortinaD

I don't know too much about this statement. So many 'luxury goods' are now made in China it's a bit ridiculous and though i personally don't consumer these goods sometimes i'll buy them as presents and it eats me to pay a premium for something that is 'Made in China' but many others happily will.

We live in a country / in a time when people will happily pay good money in a fancy pants retail store for a normal business shirt with the MADE IN CHINA tag emblazoned on it. ~$150 for a shirt MADE IN CHINA? it probably costs ~$75cents in Guandong but people will happily pay.

I think the porka's will still sell even tho they are made in China, but not to people like me - or at least not at made in Germany prices.

I think it'll hurt the brand, it goes against the 'philosophy' http://www.porsche.com/international/aboutporsche/porschephilosophy/principalperson/madeingermany/

that webpage will be renamed to engineeredingermany and worded to say they develop in germany, produce in china. Seems to be working well for apple

Offline fivesix

Thats even what pisses me off about LV making stuff in Spain now... :S

Offline looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
i feel it would cheapen the brand.

sure, make all the Cayennes there you like, but leave the 911 in Germany :D

i know as a product it would be the same, if QC was upheld,

but would Ferrari be Ferrari, if they made them in China?
would Lambo be Lambo if they made them in China?

as much as i hate to admit it, there still is some brand and manufacturing snobbery amongst car buyers.

the only real exception seems to be Lotus, which although still made in Hethel, pimp their name out onto all those protons etc. but even then i do feel it has cheapened the brand :/

Offline SJM7

• Drives: It's a Honda...and it's a sports car.
This is horrible.... And I was upset when I read Volvo were now going to make cars in china.... LOL.
Correct me if Im wrong, but the boxters are still being made in Finland.. And theyve been doing a bloody good job at it ever since the boxster started production. Even if they are a poor mans 911.

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.
Finland isnt China. The Chinese car industry has a terrible reputation at the moment. Those Great Wall 4wd's and utes have a 2 star safety rating, pretty much the lowest scoring new cars on the planet.

Offline SJM7

• Drives: It's a Honda...and it's a sports car.
I didnt say Finland was China. Finnish engineering and build quality is some of the best in the world.

I agree, the plastic on an infants rattle toy is higher quality than any plastic on a great wall interior.

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
The great wall is shit because they are trying to introduce a super economy car at the cheapest price possible, if VW released a comparable product as the great wall at the same price, how good do you think it will be?

Just because something is made in China doesn't automatically make it shit depending on quality control measures and if it has been enginered and designed properly.

If Porsche shifted production from Finland/Germany to China, Porsche (the Germans) would over see every stage of production, you wouldn't find a difference in performance, workmanship or reliability. I still recon the price would be exactly the same for the consumer which sux.

Have you been to China? Most of the Audi and VW models there are made locally, they look, feel and drive exactly the same except apparently they use a little more fuel than ones made for other developed country markets because China doesn't have as strict EPA rules.

A large proportion of most of the car brands already have a lot of components and parts being manufactured in China. "Australian built" cars already have so many parts being manufactured in China for Ford, Mitsubishi, Holden, Toyota that it is a bit missleading to buy one on the basis of it being "assembled in Australia".

Porsche's fatal mistake would be to move production and assembly to China overnight. The chances are if they did shift production the RRP price wouldn't change. WHat they should do is establish a base in china to manufacture for the domestic market like Audi has done, and then slowly build up the Chinese made products to the rest of the developed world, VW group owns a large chunk of Porsche so obviously the information would be shared and there shouldn't be any mechanical issues.

In the end the VW group (VW, AUDI, SKoda etc...) have already done a good job getting things made in China, they own 49% of Porsche and heaps of other sports and hypercar brands. What would we do if production moves to China? Nothing, because the rest of the world would have already set out plans to do the same.

Most of us would probably boycott Porsche for a year or two, but once everything else moves to China then we have no say.
You can say I'm wrong, but my garage doesn't agree with that statement!!!