13 (50%)
PDK
13 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Offline Condor Man

• Is it a Bird?? Well, sort of, Yes.... 300kph+ club
  • Plastic Surgeon

• Drives: A car
I think those that have more than one fast car should always opt for the manual.

If it was your only car then PDK all the way and take advantage of the performance.
May the Horse be with you....

Offline NBTBRV8

I wonder if you would feel the same way if you didn't live in Hobart (does it even have peak hour traffic ?) and had another car in the garage that was more suited to CBD type driving. I reckon that if you lived in Sydney or Melbourne you would never opt for the manual car for suburban driving.

I drove in central London with a manual for a few weeks and didn't think twice about it.  But it is only my preference and as I get older no doubt things will change.

Offline TRS4

I don't get it...buy a car with the latest in technology in every aspect, then put in a manual gearbox when there's a far superior and technologically advanced option?

If you want old school, get old school.

I guess that's why Porsche got it all so wrong with the 911R then hey? (insert eye-roll)

Offline TRS4

I think those that have more than one fast car should always opt for the manual.

If it was your only car then PDK all the way and take advantage of the performance.

Couldn't agree more

Offline charliekay

I wonder if you would feel the same way if you didn't live in Hobart (does it even have peak hour traffic ?) and had another car in the garage that was more suited to CBD type driving. I reckon that if you lived in Sydney or Melbourne you would never opt for the manual car for suburban driving.

Agree. I live in Sydney and if the GT3 was my only car, I would never opt for the manual option. But most people who buy a GT3 will not buy it as their daily or as their only car. My GT4 is my only sports car and I part of the reason I bought it was because it was manual and because it wasn't going to be my daily. No way you can drive manual in Sydney traffic.

Offline goober

• AE's Tame Race Driver
  • I did not lie. I was strategically misinforming u

• Drives: no friend of the left
  • Name: Buddy Miles
In thinking about this thread and the pros and cons of PDK and stick shift, I'm trying to think in a racing sense is there any new race car that can be purchased in mainstream racing that isn't paddle shift and I could only come up with Formula Ford. Thus in a road sense the manufacturers have to comply with emission constraints and the PDK allows them to achieve their goal also it gives the manufacturer greater control over the owner/ driver because the PDK technology prevents the idiot factor of engine over run on downshift and also the slipping of clutches with a stick shift this all in turn then relieves warranty issues with the manufacturer.

I acknowledge what porsche are trying to achieve with offering the stick shift however the new technology of the PDK at present is bullet proof and the evolution of the system from the basic Magnetti Marelli F1 system of the 355, 360, 430, 612, 599, DB9 etc have come about to give the driver a more reliable motor car. I needed convincing at first with my 997.2 Carrera and was sold on the PDK. As the double clutch system has been developed by Getrag and the reliability of the system makes it virtually impossible to destroy also the introduction of shear bolts has made the gearboxes unserviceable thus when one dies it needs to be replaced....but I don't know of too many that have died.

I think over the next few years the old stick shift will be a thing of the past and PDK will be the mainstream for all motoring......on a side point and Roger may know the answer to this, can a lambo Rex with a hollinger be downshifted to create engine over run or is the computer controlling the whole engine management/ gearbox system.
Meeting women on the Internet? Remember, the more similarities u “magically” have, & the more she agrees with u, the fucking crazier she is.

Offline NBTBRV8

I don't think anyone is doubting that double clutch transmissions are technically inferior,  they are in every way far superior to the human controlled manual.  The point that is subjected to so much scrutiny is the way in which the computer controlled systems remove the skill involved in driving a car in all its facets, and adding the complexity of a manual transmission provides many with a greater level of driving satisfaction when they get it right.

Personally I enjoy the extra engagement that a manual rewards me with, and I love the way the car's characteristics behave based on my inputs.  Automated computer systems can't give you this textural detail in their present form.

No choice is better than the other, it really just depends on how you want your experience and what it is you are looking for from that experience.

Online looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
The introduction of shear bolts has made the gearboxes unserviceable thus when one dies it needs to be replaced....but I don't know of too many that have died.

So what happens when these cars hit 150-200k kms ?  Basically a throw away gearbox?  Or is this separate to when the clutch needs changing?

Either way PDK / DSG / R TRONIC / etc will make many cars uneconomical to repair in future so they're not as likely to be cars that people buy for life.  Planned obsolescence  in full effect.

Offline JBO

• Drives: Something that doesn't meet my aspirations...yet...
So what happens when these cars hit 150-200k kms ?  Basically a throw away gearbox?  Or is this separate to when the clutch needs changing?

Either way PDK / DSG / R TRONIC / etc will make many cars uneconomical to repair in future so they're not as likely to be cars that people buy for life.  Planned obsolescence  in full effect.

Agree. A big part of the appeal of  a manual is not just the engagement in the driving experience it provides, but the long term serviceability.
This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you. - C Montgomery Burns.

Offline goober

• AE's Tame Race Driver
  • I did not lie. I was strategically misinforming u

• Drives: no friend of the left
  • Name: Buddy Miles

Correct, I know of two 458's outside warranty that have small oil leaks in the gear box, its a matter of buy a new one. And they are about 40k per box
Meeting women on the Internet? Remember, the more similarities u “magically” have, & the more she agrees with u, the fucking crazier she is.