PDK
13 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Offline goober

• AE's Tame Race Driver
  • I did not lie. I was strategically misinforming u

• Drives: no friend of the left
  • Name: Buddy Miles
Agree. A big part of the appeal of  a manual is not just the engagement in the driving experience it provides, but the long term serviceability.

BMW started it with the E36 M3 that they implemented shear bolts, thus the manual box couldn't be repaired per se and that applied to both the SMG and stick shift.

The new Getrag boxes are very complex and the manufacturers don't want people pulling them apart, in a racing sense Hollinger boxes are used because they can be dismantled but for road use the boxes have a supposed life span of 100,000km, and I'm not sure what is entailed to change the clutches.
Meeting women on the Internet? Remember, the more similarities u “magically” have, & the more she agrees with u, the fucking crazier she is.

Online looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
Correct, I know of two 458's outside warranty that have small oil leaks in the gear box, its a matter of buy a new one. And they are about 40k per box

It's conceivable to pay that on a $400k car,  but what happens when a $40k boxster comes up against a similar issue.  There will be a lot of cars going to scrap (or maybe being ev converted).

It is just another symptom of our consumer culture.  People feel they have to have the latest greatest thing :(

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter
I guess that's why Porsche got it all so wrong with the 911R then hey? (insert eye-roll)

oh look...a smart arse.
So, being a fellow smart arse, I'll respond. Porsche are producing it because people are asking for it...DUH....but I don't understand WHY people are asking for it when they're basically destroying some of the high tech that's available.

Should I type slower?

On a related note, I've never found anything enjoyable about driving a manual in traffic...not now, not ever.

I love my car. Buy your own

Online looney

On a related note, I've never found anything enjoyable about driving a manual in traffic...not now, not ever.

Traffic light grand prix in tiny hatchbacks are great fun and would suck in an auto

Online looney

I don't understand WHY people are asking for it when they're basically destroying some of the high tech that's available.

But based on your logic 90% of people should just buy a tesla with 100% autonomy and never drive again.  We like driving in this forum don we?

I'd love to get behind the wheel of a Bugatti t25 sure it would be slow and horrible but I'm sure smiles per hour would be infinite.

Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

It's conceivable to pay that on a $400k car,  but what happens when a $40k boxster comes up against a similar issue.  There will be a lot of cars going to scrap (or maybe being ev converted).
You would bolt in a Electric drive power system into your Boxster and quietly drive off into the sunset. Job done, simples. :simples:

Offline Aircon

But based on your logic 90% of people should just buy a tesla with 100% autonomy and never drive again.  We like driving in this forum don we?

I'd love to get behind the wheel of a Bugatti t25 sure it would be slow and horrible but I'm sure smiles per hour would be infinite.

I agree with you looney....I wouldn't have my 308 any other way....but in a modern car, which you buy for all the mod cons, to go back to a manual when a PDK or equiv is available makes no sense TO ME.

I feel like I'm just repeating myself now lol

Offline Aircon

I agree with you looney....I wouldn't have my 308 any other way....but in a modern car, which you buy for all the mod cons, to go back to a manual when a PDK or equiv is available makes no sense TO ME.

and to add to that, this thread is about a GT3...a track weapon...why give away performance and technology?

Offline goober

• AE's Tame Race Driver

It is just another symptom of our consumer culture.  People feel they have to have the latest greatest thing :(

The R32 Golf had similar issues and now that the car is 10 years old + and I haven't priced a new gear box but the price comes down over time because people will invariably buy a second hand box from a wreck.

For the Ferrari and the old F1 system (which is next to useless in comparison to the PDK's of today) if one shits itself the parts can be sourced from anything Fiat/ maserati alfa etc. I'd love to know how name Alfa selespeeds (aka Ferrari F1) are still driving around in a reliable state. The repair a current car of the alfa ilk would be expensive however how many would do 100,000km with the original owner and it then becomes a second hand used car issue.

I've got about 40 Hino trucks in auto and they have unserviceable gearboxes, just change the oil every 10,000km (hino says 30,000km but oil is cheap) and they warranty their gear boxes for up to 5 years and 300,000km.....thus at the 5 year clock I trade them in with about 290,000km and it becomes some one else's problem.
Meeting women on the Internet? Remember, the more similarities u “magically” have, & the more she agrees with u, the fucking crazier she is.

Offline goober

• AE's Tame Race Driver

thats why the 550 is a better buy than a 575, the gearbox can be fixed and clutch changed but the manufacturers had to adapt to the regulations and to protect themselves with higher horsepower engines constantly being in demand so the birth of PDK was forced upon them (plus the fact they can make a motza when the gearbox dies)