Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=56127&vf=26

Porsche Panamera takes on M5 … and 911
Bruce Newton, drive.com.au, August 13, 2008

German sports car maker claims its first ever four-door luxury-sports model is surpassing performance targets in development testing, to the point it’s threatening Porsche’s own 911 sports car flagship.

Porsche has set the forthcoming Panamera the task of being more comfortable than a Mercedes-Benz S-Class and more sporting than a BMW M5, but in an unwanted spin-off it is also threatening the 911 as the performance leader in the model line-up.

The niche sports car builder’s first ever four-door luxury car is due for its global reveal at the Geneva motor show next March and its Australian launch in the second half of 2009.

“The Panamera is to have the space, luxury and ambience of a true limousine and the handling and performance of an executive sedan,” Porsche Cars Australia spokesman Paul Ellis told drive.com.au.

“My understanding is that the car, from a performance point of view, has an issue in that it is almost too good. The 911 is the benchmark car.

“From the performance point of view it has exceeded the benchmarks.”

That means the performance of the Panamera will undoubtedly be wound back as it is not allowed to exceed the 911, which remains Porsche’s flagship model.

There will be a variety of Panamera models rolled out from next year. Rear-wheel drive, all-wheel drive, V6 and V8 petrol normally aspirated and twin-turbo engines, and even a hybrid are all said to be in the mix.

Porsche has set a 20,000 global annual sales target for Panamera with Australia aiming for around 150.

Ellis confirmed Porsche is targeting oMercedes-Benz and BMW with the Panamera.

“It is purely a conquest car. People aren’t going to buy a Panamera instead of a Cayenne,” he says.

Senior Porsche engineers at last week’s global Carrera 4 launch said the Panamera had performed well in back-to-back tests against AMG Benzes and the M5. They nominated the Maserati Quattroporte and forthcoming Aston Martin Rapide as other serious rivals.

Meanwhile, Porsche has apparently abandoned any thought of developing the sub-Cayenne 4WD dubbed Roxster in the press. It was said to be based on the same platform as the new Audi Q5.

“The [smaller 4WD] segment doesn’t make any sense for Porsche,” said company spokesman Michael Baumann. “It is even more mass market and we are not going to change the business model of Porsche to compete in a mass-market segment.”

“There are no plans beyond the Panamera that are even close to being discussed. We are stretching the company as it is with the fourth model line and we haven’t even introduced it in the market. We have our hands full.”

Offline 993tits

• Pepé Le Porsche

I'm GUNNA want one!
Always Gunna

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Porsche Panamera First Teaser Released.

Got excited for nothing...... great teaser photos.   :rolleyes:

Porsche has finally released the first teaser image of the highly anticipated four-door four-passenger GT model.

With only a limited glimpse of the front side profile, we can see the bumper fascia with foglamp (possibly LED daytime running lights) and headlamp design.

Porsche has released this teaser image in promotion of the Panamera Online Magazine which is offering a wide range of information about the latest member of the Porsche family at www.porsche.com/panamera. The site includes videos of disguised prototypes on test drives.

Starting on October 20, Porsche will launch a print advertising campaign, again offering more sneak previews.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Porsche Panamera First Teaser Released.

Got excited for nothing...... great teaser photos.   :rolleyes:

Reminds me of this "teaser" photo... :D

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Electric everything
  • Name: Peter
*shudder*

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

*shudder*

C'mon, what about inner beauty, she's probably got a fantastic personality.

Hmmmm, not a case of a paper bag..... more like a body bag.

And anyway, looks who's posting irrelevant stuff in a legitimate thread now, Hmmmmmmmmmm.    :D

Offline Aircon

And anyway, looks who's posting irrelevant stuff in a legitimate thread now, Hmmmmmmmmmm.    :D

lol

Offline waz356

Well it is in the "Porker" section.

Offline Aircon

Well it is in the "Porker" section.

boom tish