Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
STEVE COLQUHOUN gets behind the wheel of the all-new four-door Porsche.

"A four-door Porsche? Mate, that's fully sick!" And with these sagely-opined words ringing in our ears, we kicked off a circuit of the continent in - as our observant friend so poignantly noted - a four-door tourer based on the legendary Porsche 911.

Okay, so they're not the exact words we'd choose to describe Porsche's newest model, called the Panamera. But they're not that far off the mark, either.

We've just driven the first two Panameras to be imported into Australia from the Porsche Centre in Melbourne along the length of the Great Ocean Road to the sleepy seaside hamlet of Port Fairy, on Victoria's rugged south-west coast.

It's the end of Day 1 of a 33-day, 17,000-kilometre clockwise trip around Australia, designed by Porsche to emulate the feat of the first of its make brought to Australia - a 356 model that was entered in and, remarkably, completed the 1953 Redex Round Australia Trial.

Full article: http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=65264&vf=26&IsPgd=0

Offline Speedfreak

• POWER!!!!

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

I was very impressed with the car in the metal.  It isn't pretty but it is beautifully thought out and finished.  The room in the back seat is good enough for adults to take a decent trip.  The side windows are flush fitted and look great.  The boot is usefully sized.

The driving position is excellent and the seats are firm but perfectly shaped.

I'm not in the market for a big sedan but I'd give it a serious look if I was.  I predict M5 trade-ins galore.

Offline Fil-Ski

• Drives: 993TT
I was very impressed with the car in the metal.  It isn't pretty but it is beautifully thought out and finished.  The room in the back seat is good enough for adults to take a decent trip.  The side windows are flush fitted and look great.  The boot is usefully sized.

The driving position is excellent and the seats are firm but perfectly shaped.

I'm not in the market for a big sedan but I'd give it a serious look if I was.  I predict M5 trade-ins galore.

How long is the car on display for at Porsche Centre Adelaide?

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

How long is the car on display for at Porsche Centre Adelaide?

I imagine they (S and Turbo) are leaving very soon as they are being driven around Australia and this is the first stop.

Offline dkabab

did they do any test drives or is it strictly a tour of aus...

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

did they do any test drives or is it strictly a tour of aus...

Sorry, I don't know.

Offline SiFi

• Navigator/Serial Killer

It's the end of Day 1 of a 33-day, 17,000-kilometre clockwise trip around Australia, designed by Porsche to emulate the feat of the first of its make brought to Australia - a 356 model that was entered in and, remarkably, completed the 1953 Redex Round Australia Trial.

Just a history nitpick :-)

Strange emulation given that the 1953 Redex (6,500 Mile Trial) commenced in Sydney, went anti-clockwise, heading south at Darwin, to Alice, Kingoonya, Coober Pedy, Portagutter to Adelaide then back to Sydney. So not quite round Australia. Still a good effort for Norman Hamilton and Ken Harper to complete the course in their 1,300cc 356 with 808 points lost.

The 1957 Mobilgas Trial would likely be the first Australian works (rally/trials) victory for Porsche in Australia. Three 356s entered in the Porsche team, with David McKay and Tom Jackson taking the ₤500 Overseas Entry Prize.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

The article says the Panamera is "based on the 911".  GMAFB.  :doh:

Offline YSS

I imagine they (S and Turbo) are leaving very soon as they are being driven around Australia and this is the first stop.
100% agree.
it looks much better in person than the pics.  imposing front and front 3/4.  rear end loooks are a fair price to pay for the practicality the boot offers.
i am very happy with the purchase actually  ;)

will update if i get to steer it.