Offline fastoy

• Drives: SLK 55 AMG Mercedes-Benz
Today the Australian dollar hit $US1.01, yippee!!

Today, the Porsche Australia web site lists the drive away price for a Panamera S at $299,139.00

The American site lists the maunfacturer's recommended retail price at $89,800.00

That's a difference of $210,220

Please explain??????

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com

Offline dl1980

• Drives: Porsche Cayman S
Porsche claim that the movement of the currency doesnt affect them. They use a sort of insurance policy to protect themselves from currency fluctuations. Makes sense.

Offline dkabab

We don't buy porsches from America do we....

Most import companies will spread their pricing out over the year. As the dollar fluctuates the price remains the same for the consumer. If the dollar stays where it is for the next 6-9 months then I would expect to see some prices maybe drop.

Iterestingly Nikon Australia have held back the release of it's new camera the d7000. Reasoning being the rrp for it in aus is $1999 where as the US price is $1199. They fear no-one will buy them.

Offline fastoy

I suspect that with our dollars now equal, a lot of people who have previously not bothered checking, will do exactly what I have done today. And start asking awkward questions. The internet has become a great leveller.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

That's a difference of $210,220

Please explain??????

$100k to the Govt
another $100k to the Govt
$10k just to round it off.

If you want an exotic car in Australia you're regarded as an elitist and will be taxed accordingly.

Offline j15

Please explain??????

If they price it highly enough, then no one will buy it and hence no one will ever have to look at one.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Today, the Porsche Australia web site lists the drive away price for a Panamera S at $299,139.00

If they price it highly enough, then no one will buy it and hence no one will ever have to look at one.

Shit - it's so simple! :D

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
We don't buy porsches from America do we....

Most import companies will spread their pricing out over the year. As the dollar fluctuates the price remains the same for the consumer. If the dollar stays where it is for the next 6-9 months then I would expect to see some prices maybe drop.

Iterestingly Nikon Australia have held back the release of it's new camera the d7000. Reasoning being the rrp for it in aus is $1999 where as the US price is $1199. They fear no-one will buy them.

Having said that our $ has been nearing parity for the last 6 months already so there should have already have been a shift, it isn't like it turned = over night. We all know they will not pass on the full savings to us so they can get the extra creme of profit on top, hell that is what a business is meant to do if there is limmited competition.

No we do not buy our Porsches from the USA, but 1 USD buys 70.0cents Euro, 1 AUD buys 70.1 cents Euro so really we have a greater buying power. What stuffs us up is our small population, greedy governement taxing the cars through the roof and our small numbers of Porsche sales compared to other world markets.
You can say I'm wrong, but my garage doesn't agree with that statement!!!

Offline fastoy

Ok, so lets look down scale a bit. A new Ducati Multistrada 1200 Touring sells for around $31000 here.

A friend has just bought an identical bike in the US for $22000, on the road.

No luxury tax there. Most people blame taxes and charges, but there is more to it. Even when all the taxes and charges, freight etc are taken in to account, there is still a massive discrepancy.

I know the dollar has been close to parity for some time, but it was not quite there. But now its in our face at equal value, in the headlines, ordinary people are now aware.