Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
You miss a major point, the bikes and cars are imported by private companies, they are not imported by Porsche or Ducatti, they are imported by Australian companies, just like Amatil imports and bottles under the name Coke A Cola for Australia, Just like Atico imports for Ferrari ect...

How many Porsche's do we sell in Australia a year? Lets say 500 for arguments sake (I have no Idea what the actual number is), if Australia is buying 500 Porsches then USA would easily be buying 5 000 - 10 000, purely on the basis of they have a lot more numbers of middle/high income earners. They get higher turnover so their importer doesn't have to make $50k for each car, they would be happy with $10k per car commision because they know they will sell 10 000 cars, the Australian importer knows he will not get much turnover, so to meet repayments of mechanics, salesmen, car yards, outlay of his own money, other expenses ect ect.... he has to make a high profit per car. In the end LCT and high vs low turnover determines new car prices.
Enjoying Life!!!!

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides

the base price for a 458 Italia in the UK is 169 000GBP which equals about $271k AUD, the official base price of a 458 in Australia is $527k (not sure if you can actually pick one up at that price). We will only see 30-40 a year maximum hit our shores, the UK will be seeing way more being sold atleast 200 or more a year. 
Enjoying Life!!!!

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A burgandy car.
So the idea would be to buy your bike from the US and if you need finance, get your 3.99% Official Ducati finance from there as well......and then pay it off before the Dollar swings back.. which wont happen for ages anyway.
Or buy it from here for $9000 more and pay a bargain 6.6% interest.

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides

Can you import it over? I doubt it since they are available here as well.
Enjoying Life!!!!

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason

Can you import it over? I doubt it since they are available here as well.

I did wonder that myself. I dont actually know the facts on that...
To be honest I dont blame the Bike guys for their mark up.
The big money grabbers in Australia for exotic cars are the dealers mark up, not so much what the wholesaler makes.

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason

I found this online from last year so it could be out of date but they said that If it is a brand new bike that is available in Australia, or a bike that is newer then 1988 you cant bring it in unless youve owned it for 12 months in the country youre bringing it in from.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

the base price for a 458 Italia in the UK is 169 000GBP which equals about $271k AUD, the official base price of a 458 in Australia is $527k (not sure if you can actually pick one up at that price). We will only see 30-40 a year maximum hit our shores, the UK will be seeing way more being sold atleast 200 or more a year.

At that price no wonder, I'll have one at $270k..........

Offline fastoy

• Drives: SLK 55 AMG Mercedes-Benz
No, it is next to impossble to import any bike from the US made since 1989. Exceptions of course, but for practical purposes the answer is no.

So the idea would be to buy your bike from the US

Mmm, that exactly what I did two years ago when the $A last approached parity. Got a discount as well, and have since ridden it 34000kms over there and in Canada.....it lives in Arizona, no speed cameras there either.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

It's called marketing.  You make a product, compare it to what other guys are making and price it at a level you think the buyers will accept.  How much it costs or how much it sells for in another market isn't really a concern (so long as you aren't losing money obviously).

Also, remember the higher the price, the more exclusive the product becomes.  Part of the appeal of expensive goods is their exclusivity.  Why else would anyone buy a Rolex when a cheap watch works as well?  (I don't wear a watch, btw!).  So while a higher price might discourage one buyer who seeks value, it attracts another seeking prestige.  It's complicated psychology. :)

Offline fastoy

• Drives: SLK 55 AMG Mercedes-Benz
It's called marketing.  You make a product, compare it to what other guys are making and price it at a level you think the buyers will accept.  How much it costs or how much it sells for in another market isn't really a concern

I absolutely agree, and that is really my original point. Now with the exchange rate no longer a factor, comparisons are instantaneous and easy, and more ordinary people who normally pay no attention to these comparisons, will be doing so.

The world is shrinking fast and with our dollar at parity with the US, a lot of other countries will be observing us. The $US is a world trading and reserve currency, and now we're there too. A big change is afoot.