Offline drvik

• Drives: 997.1TT
Hi all,

Firstly I wanted to say hello, as this is my first post in this forum.  I look forward to browsing and learning more about the variety of exotic cars available in Aus.

As it stands, I currently own a 2007 Boxster S Tiptronic with plenty of nice options except the Sports Chrono package which in retrospect I would have liked... my enquiries previously so see if it could be retrofitted were met with a negative response, however just recently, I discovered a thread on a US forum that advertises just that very option available from the factory... here are the links...

http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxster-modifications/49271-porsche-sport-mode-software.html

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/9X7SM.html?Category_Code=electronics

I made an enquiry with GC Porsche centre but they haven't heard of it...

Has anyone looked into this product before or does anyone have the contacts to confirm if this is in fact a real Porsche after-purchase option???

Cheers!

drvik

Offline Excalibur Racing

• Drives: 997 GT3 Cup, Radical SR8 RX
ECU upgrading produces excellent boost gains for turbos especially the 997. The 996 turbo and GT2 you need to upgrade the diverter (blow-off) valves as they are crappy and will fail under the extra boost pressure. I used Softronic and with Fabspeed exhaust and Agency Power airbox have my 997 turbo pumping out 640hp from 480 standard and a whole lot more torque.

Caymans also respond well to a decent ECU flash as Porsche factory settings are very conservative which i suspect is so they can release power and torque with each new model and few engine upgrades. Take a look at the power curve of that standard engine and you can see what I mean.

Standard 911's and Boxsters don't produce much extra power with an ECU flash, that's just life. Anyone who gets a flash done should seriously consider upgrading brakes and, importantly, suspecsion. I run the Bilstein pss10 and have added 3/4 a degree camber.
Basically though, unless you have a turbo you aren't going to get a whole lot of gain by flashing the ECU and you will encounter issues from the engine management software. The 996 turbos complain of faults with the mass airflow sensor in the airbox. I haven't had that issue in the 997 but sometimes the overboost feature fails. If I did it again I would not get the Sports Chrono package on the turbo as the extra power is tiny compared to the flash gains.

If I were you, I'd forget about upgrading the ECU as the marginal gain will be offset by engine management problems and Porsche warranty issues. Instead get rid of the 2 tonne crappy exhaust that comes standard (911 owners take note) and get yourself a decent German performance exhaust with 200 cell cats. You will save weight, gain power from better pass-thru and have a nice note to the engine.
Youth is wasted on the young...

Offline drvik

Thank excalibur for your detailed answer...  the product in question is not an ECU upgrade as I understand it, but more of a 'code' to enable the Sports Chrono (without the chronometer on the dash).. ie sport shift patterns on the tiptronic, stiffer settings on the suspension, more responsive throttle, and some other things that escape me... I was hoping someone has already dealt with this mod....

Cheers,

drvik

Offline RamSpeedAU

• RamSpeed.Com.Au

• Drives: European Cars ONLY
  • Name: RamSpeed.Com.Au
Hi. The Chrono Package (and I assume you are after the function, not the look with the clock on the dashboard etc) is possible as a retro fit, outside of Porsche OE hardware/software. Flashing of the mechatronic type of unit withing the auto gearbox will adjust the shift points (not required on a manual), flashing of the ECU and certain control modules via OBD is also required.(not just a ECU flash for performance, but function). As you probably know, there is a significant difference in Chrono optioned ECU tune in terms of its red line cut-off abilities among many others. We adjust this on Porsche's regularly. There is a local distributor (KraftWerk)which has access to German ECU and other software options www.kraftwerk.com.au Here is a Cayman S with some significant upgrades.
RamSpeed | Automotive Perfection
Supercharging | Turbo Upgrades | Exclusive European Parts & Upgrades

aussieexotics.com/showroom/search.php?criteria=TechArt

ECU Tuning | Service | Maintenance

Offline drvik

Thanks guys...

Just an update for those following this thread....

So I ordered the Sport function from the US which included a new button panel for the dash and the authorisation code from Porsche... Cost in US dollars was $1195 which is about half of what Porsche Australia are asking...  The car went to the dealer who fitted the button panel and programmed the codes into the computer...

and the verdict...... CRAP!  A long way from the Jekyll & Hyde claims by Porsche... I was expecting consistently higher shiftpoints from the tiptronic, what I got was essentially the same shiftpoints but I noticed when driving more aggressively the car would adapt a bit more quickly to my desire for holding onto gears longer....  gear changes were a bit rougher (no problem) and in manual mode, the tiptronic does not automatically shift up when you hit redline.... I did not feel any difference in throttle mapping and I don't have adjustable suspension or an active exhaust....  on a positive note, the PSM is loosened up a bit so I can learn the limits of the car better (but it still intervenes in plenty of time)...

So all in all, I don't think this option is really worth it, even when half price... it does not replace the need to shift manually to get what I want from the car which is what I was after (mainly for my wife who has no idea about "gears")....  Shame on you Porsche, all you had to do was set some better shiftpoints to make this a really good value for money option....

drvik

Offline Excalibur Racing

• Drives: 997 GT3 Cup, Radical SR8 RX
With respect, what did you expect?
Porsche has actually done a fair bit of R&D to arrive at the retail product and upgrading some software is never going to produce Jekyll and Hyde in a non-turbo.
I was recently looking at the gearing ratios in my cup car and you start fiddling one ratio and it completely mucks up the rest as the engine needs to be kept in a power zone and taller gears produce greater rev differentials on the gearshifts which then has its own effects.
I'd go for a few after market hardware products like exhaust, airbox and suspension to increase your driving satisfaction.
Youth is wasted on the young...

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
With respect, what did you expect?

I'd go for a Ferrari to increase your driving satisfaction.

yeah, that's what I reckon!

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

What sort of Ferrari can you buy for the price of an  07' Boxster  :rolleyes:

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
What sort of Ferrari can you buy for the price of an  07' Boxster  :rolleyes:

Three Mondials.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna