Offline NSX

• The Cow Whisperer

• Drives: Honda NSX

http://www.carsguide.com.au/news-and-reviews/car-news/porsche_to_probe_australian_prices

Porsche is promising an investigation into its Australian prices.
The move has been announced following the unveiling of its impressive new Cayman coupe at the LA Auto Show.
The good looking Cayman was one of the show's stars but the American base price of $52,600 is less than half the $115,000 starting sticker it will wear down under. When the difference is highlighted by Carsguide to Porsche's global boss, Matthias Mueller, he immediately promises an investigation.
"I didn't know this. I will get answers," Mueller says.
Porsche's premium pricing policy down under comes at a time when many of its luxury rivals are cutting their tabs. Mercedes-Benz consistently brings newer models to showrooms with lower prices and even Rolls-Royce recently cut the bottom line on its flagship Phantom, but a staggering amount of more than $200,000.
The good news from LA is that the new Cayman is closer than ever to the classic Porsche 911, in both design and performance. There is also extra equipment in a bigger cabin, and even 15 per cent better fuel economy. The new design also makes it much more than just a baby Boxster with a coupe roof.
"In short, the new version is lighter, more powerful and more fuel efficient. It is more distinctive than ever. It delivers an unmatched combination of driving dynamics," Mueller. The preview of the Cayman in Porsche heartland in California comes at the end of a year when the company has also put an all-new 911 and Boxster on the road. Production of the second-generation Cayman coupe will not begin until the first quarter of next year, with local delivers in the third quarter.
"This has been a milestone year for Porsche. Globally, this has been a record setting year," says Mueller. "We have sold 160,000 cars. This is the best possible proof of the customer desire for our outstanding sports cars." The Cayman does the job too, and Porsche has allowed it to creep closer to the 911 in size and style. That's no surprise, since the basic mechanical package is shared with the big brother.
The styling is more mature and the body sits over a chassis that is longer and wider than before, just like the Boxster, with a basic 2.7-litre engine and a 3.4 in the Cayman S. The starter engine makes 202 kiloWatts with economy of 8.2 litres/100km and a 0-100km/h time of 5.6 seconds as a six-speed manual, while the Cayman S numbers are 239, 8.8 and 5.0.
The car retains the mid-engine layout it shares with the Boxster and that, says Porsche's technical chief Wolfgang Hatz is the big difference from the 911. "For me, the 911 is a car that people use as their first car, where the Cayman is a second car. The 911 is a two-plus-two and that is the difference," Hatz says.
The basic Cayman manual is priced from $115,500 as a six-speed manual in Australia, with the bottom line rising to $155,700 for the Cayman S with a six-speed PDK manumatic transmission.

Offline Condor Man

• Is it a Bird?? Well, sort of, Yes.... 300kph+ club
  • Plastic Surgeon

• Drives: A car
I argue all the time with the guys at Porsche due to the fact that they have never reduced their prices even with the high Aussie dollar.

How moronic is that!
May the Horse be with you....

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

Am I the only one thinking 'how can Porsche not know?'

Offline alvchua

• Drives: Old junks
It's not just Porsche though - every luxury car brand here costs way more than the US - combo of factors including LCT, GST etc but bottom line is Australia must be one of the most profitable markets for manufacturers! I won't even get started about the discrepancy between car parts prices here and overseas!
Forgiveness is easier to achieve than permission!

Offline smileone96

• Drives: Black Cars
It's not just Porsche though - every luxury car brand here costs way more than the US - combo of factors including LCT, GST etc but bottom line is Australia must be one of the most profitable markets for manufacturers! I won't even get started about the discrepancy between car parts prices here and overseas!
Agreed. The Aventador Roadster is retailed at $442K USD/$300K Euro. In Oz - it will pretty close to $900K AUD. There is obviously alot of fat in there for the importers.

Offline TEZZA

• Those Frenchies seek him everywhere

• Drives: No matter what it is I am still lusting after something better.

Adolf said he did not know about the Jews in the concentration camps.
It might be a "German" thing?

Offline Fortis

• 300kph+ club

I love it how they blame Aussie taxes LCT, GST etc. the funny thing is if you use the import calculator available on this site and input the US RRP of the Cayman at $60k the total landed cost is approx $79k they have it listed here at $115k that's a $36k difference, quite a bit of fat in that.

Now when it comes to the Aventador if you were to drive one off he showroom floor in US at approx $400k and ship it over all in it will cost you $590k local asking is $900k that's "only" a $310k difference  :doh:

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
I agree that Aussies get slugged by the Government and the Dealers mark up, but to me the dealers mark up just sounds like pure business to me.

Although if the Aventador was priced at $400k i"m sure they would gain at least more than double the amount of cars in sales, and still be an exclusive brand and make more profit...   

But as I just said, business is business, a Porsche is worth exactly what the dealer can get for it, nothing more and nothing less.
Enjoying Life!!!!

Offline Dave_A

Although if the Aventador was priced at $400k i"m sure they would gain at least more than double the amount of cars in sales, and still be an exclusive brand and make more profit...   

But as I just said, business is business, a Porsche is worth exactly what the dealer can get for it, nothing more and nothing less.

But is it good business sense really?, I mean consider if porsche for example dropped their prices to a more realistic level,they'd see double even triple sales and the increase in dealer servicing/parts/retail etc .....hence increasing revenue and profit.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Porsche sets its recommended retail pricing - of course they know.

Like any business, Porsche prices for maximum profit.  Just like we all do.  The only thing that will reduce Porsche prices in Australia is falling demand - and I don't see that happening at a time when the company has the best product offering (either here or just around the corner) in its history.

It's safe to ignore US pricing - it isn't relevant to the factory's thinking because Australian consumers can't buy from the US.