Offline RMV

• A Country Member

That looks excellent.

I drove one when they were near new. I thought it was very nice.

Legendary Porsche works driver Vic Elford was also a big fan of the sporto. He drove one in competition (the actual rally name escapes me currently) and he thought it was the future and should replace the proper manual with clutch set up. He was wrong (in a way), but big kudos from an absolute Porsche legend. 

Offline carl888

• Soap Dropper
  • Get her groggy, do her doggy

• Drives: OHOS
  • Name: Carl Jones
Hi, looking at sportomatic 74 impact bar car. Its a coupe aust delivered in vgc. All original. How much is it in todays market?

Need a lot more information than the above.  Colour, mileage, condition, options, history?

I would say as little as $7,500 for a parts car, the least desirable being a plain Targa 911 2.7 up to $75,000 for a 911S 2.7 Sporto coupe (A friend recently sold his for that much, white/tartan, sunroof and air, 40,000 miles from new, one family owner, it was stunning)

The transmission shared its oil with the engine, so make sure the car has had regular oil changes, and of course note the 2.7 liter engine issues with head studs, but that should have been attended to by now.  Being pre galvanisation, these G series cars rot, be warned, and good luck.

For those that malign the transmission, it actually works well.  In true Porsche fashion, a Sportomatic prototype was raced in the Marathon de la Route in the late 1960s by Vic Elford, Jochen Neerpasch and Hans Hermann.  It won first time out.

Offline carl888

• Soap Dropper
  • Get her groggy, do her doggy

• Drives: OHOS
  • Name: Carl Jones
Here's a lovely '75 sportomatic... big asking price, though.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-1975/SSE-AD-2534664

Great period colour.  The ad lists it as galvanised, it's not, only partially.  Full galvanising came with the 1976 model year.  Even if it was fully galvanised, after a "Bare metal re-spray" it would certainly not have any galvanising left on the outside, would it?

Offline RMV

• A Country Member

Great period colour.  The ad lists it as galvanised, it's not, only partially.  Full galvanising came with the 1976 model year.  Even if it was fully galvanised, after a "Bare metal re-spray" it would certainly not have any galvanising left on the outside, would it?

Yes, the 'galvanised' comment caught my eye because I didn't think they were galvanised that early.

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.
OP, have you driven a sportmatic, I'm assuming you have? What makes you want one over a standard manual?

For those that malign the transmission, it actually works well.

They also break a lot easier than the standard box. If youre someone that likes to put their hand on the shifter before you change gears it will drive you nuts but you'll get used to it ........ eventually.  :melting:

Offline RMV

• A Country Member

For those that malign the transmission, it actually works well.  In true Porsche fashion, a Sportomatic prototype was raced in the Marathon de la Route in the late 1960s by Vic Elford, Jochen Neerpasch and Hans Hermann.  It won first time out.

That's what I was thinking of! Thanks, Carl. :)