Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

U may already know this but if installing a back to base monitored alarm system, it pays to have a backup back to base system eg. DTU or GPRS (via mobile phone network) system - a few years ago whilst we were out for dinner, our house was burgled - bastards lifted one roof tile in entire roof, cut through sisalation and lifted the phone cable and cut it, then broke a window to enter the house. Alarm system went off, and as usual, everyone ignored it and monitoring weren't aware as the phone cable had been severed!

I've heard that there is a colourful night club owner with stainless steel chicken wire under his roof.

The GPRS is a good idea. 

Also the increasing popularity of VOIP does not marry up with alarm monitoring very well.  Switch off power and VOIP is rendered useless.

Offline alvchua

• Drives: Old junks
I've heard that there is a colourful night club owner with stainless steel chicken wire under his roof.

The GPRS is a good idea. 

Also the increasing popularity of VOIP does not marry up with alarm monitoring very well.  Switch off power and VOIP is rendered useless.
The DTU is supposedly even better - satellite based data transmission units - no ongoing SIM card cost but the alarm companies charge for it.
Forgiveness is easier to achieve than permission!

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

Offline alvchua

whats DTU?
I'm no expert but supposedly uses satellite signals to bounce back as a data transmission unit!

Offline TEZZA

• Those Frenchies seek him everywhere

• Drives: No matter what it is I am still lusting after something better.

All depends how serious you want to get.

Better cars should always have a tracking device on them.

In the home, for small cost you can install a few Infa red cameras and a Commercial recording unit.
Put it somewhere you won't find it easily, or the perps will steal it as well.
Use hidden cameras inside and you you get them without them knowing. Use a UPS to back up the power to everything.
They may use a hoddie or mask ouside, but once they get in they will often remove them and you have them cold.
The next hurdle is getting Officer Plod to do anything about it. Coppers are useless pieces of shit. I gave them video at one of my buildings, and they did Jack about it until I wrote a letter of complaint to the Commiss, and then shit happened and they arrested two guys within 48 hours.... go figure!

The stainless wire is a throw back. In the old days they used to fix roof tiles with wire to the battens. You then got some stainless wire and ran it along through all the roof tiles and tied it off at each end very tight with a turnbuckle. Then they could not lift the tiles. But it did not stop them simply smashing the tiles. Now a mesh is a different story. We have a reinforcing mesh inside the wall of the house between the garage and the house. So if some smartie thinks to get in the garage by stealing a door buzzer and smashing through the plasterboard partition wall he is in for a surprise.

Bottom line. You will never keep everyone out. If they are willing to simply smash windows or sliding doors it is pretty hard to stop them, without living in a house that looks like a prison.

The best form of protection is a well armed house holder.

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

All depends how serious you want to get.

Better cars should always have a tracking device on them.

In the home, for small cost you can install a few Infa red cameras and a Commercial recording unit.
Put it somewhere you won't find it easily, or the perps will steal it as well.
Use hidden cameras inside and you you get them without them knowing. Use a UPS to back up the power to everything.
They may use a hoddie or mask ouside, but once they get in they will often remove them and you have them cold.

Now a mesh is a different story. We have a reinforcing mesh inside the wall of the house between the garage and the house. So if some smartie thinks to get in the garage by stealing a door buzzer and smashing through the plasterboard partition wall he is in for a surprise.

I was told by my security bloke that a thief will case the house, press the door buzzer just in case and then put the hoodie on and jump the fence.  Most modern video intercom door buzzers will also record the image of all unanswered activations.  So the key is to match the clothes/face of the intruder with the cctv image of the intruder with the same clothes.

My garage ( once the house is finished) is alarmed and has cctv.

Offline schmik325

wow very traumatic.

What suburb in Bris was this in?

I'd be hoping that car doesn't turn up now.

Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David
I leave my keys just inside the backdoor near the garage in plain site

I would rather they quietly take the car and go than head upstairs and demand the keys

Especially since I am away all week with my missus home alone

Offline alvchua

I leave my keys just inside the backdoor near the garage in plain site

I would rather they quietly take the car and go than head upstairs and demand the keys

Especially since I am away all week with my missus home alone
Fully agree with this - cars can be replaced/insurance but health/scare and hurting my wife and kids are things I'd rather not have regardless of how valuable the car might be!

For the OP, I sincerely hope that the car is irrecoverable or damaged beyond repair that way insurance will just pay out and he can get on with life!

Years ago I recall a friend with an MX-5 - stolen then got it back - car had been defecated and pissed in and roof slashed - insurance insisted on repair/cleaning but I swear there was always the redundant amonia odour of stale urine in it - He ended up trading it in very quickly after repair/cleanup was done!

Offline LewisJ

Thanks everyone for your comments.

An update for you all, the police found it and called to tell us this morning.  Not sure what state it is in, but all they said is that it was in pretty good shape so lets see.  Seems a nice joyride - so hope the creeps got their thrills and feel good about themselves!

At least it has made me look at our security, change locks and get house alarms booked in to be installed this week.

Will update you all on its condition when we see it.