Offline Brenton

• 300kph+ club
  • DJ's like a mad ...........

• Drives: Yes
Hi all
just wanting to know what tyres to put on a 996 carerra.
I currently have 225 45 18 on front and 296 30 18 on rear.
The car is used for trips through the hills on weekends, not track or hill climbs.

Cheers

Offline waz356

Brenton,

Have a chat with the guys from North Terrace Tyres. They seem to know what's best for these cars as far as brand/use/size etc but they're very expensive. Once you figure out what you want then buy from Blackwood Tyre Centre. Good service and prices.

Cheers,

Warren

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
Brenton,

Have a chat with the guys from North Terrace Tyres. They seem to know what's best for these cars as far as brand/use/size etc but they're very expensive. Once you figure out what you want then buy from Blackwood Tyre Centre. Good service and prices.

Cheers,

Warren

Nice.

How do you think the guys at North terrace would like that?

How about you talk to them and see if they can supply at a price you think reflects their experience and knowledge  (that you seek and benefit from) AND your appreciation?

Offline Brenton

• 300kph+ club

Thanks Waz for the information, I am sure it will be benificial.

As far as the guys on Nth Terrace they should be quite happy with Waz as they now have a chance to sell another set of tyres. They also need to be competative in price. The tyre business is unfortunately a purely price point industry so yes everyone gets shoped out......

F.F. I was under the belief that this forum was set up for more than slightly witty banter and dribble about cars.

Once again Waz thanks.

Also if someone has used what they thought was a great set of road tyres for their 996 C then knowing the type and size would be appreciated.

Offline Soul

I swapped to Sumitomo HTR ZIII when my pzeros wore out. Less noise, excellent performance in the dry, half the price or less! You can compare tyres at tirerack.com and it also has reviews of all the different tyres (except nittos, falkens, toyos).

Also agree with the above points. Just because a shop is more knowledgeable doesn't mean they deserve to charge more for the tyres. Gather the info you need, buy from the cheapest source. The prices shouldn't vary much and they should be willing to match the price of competitors if they want your business. It's not like the profit margin from tyres are small.

• Soap Dodger

Also if someone has used what they thought was a great set of road tyres for their 996 C then knowing the type and size would be appreciated.

ok....

well, You can't say anything bad about continental tyres, they're superb.

The size you need will be on the tyre placard in the door gap, or in the owners manual.

Regarding low bidders and tyre sales...

Watch out for old stock. Date codes are written on the side walls.  You don't want tyres fitted that are already 3 years old....

Make sure they have good quality fitting and balancing equipment, and know how to use it. A damaged tyre could kill you. A damaged wheel will annoy you and might kill you.

Do they know the wheel nut torque?

Do they do the wheels up to the correct torque?

Do they lift the car correctly?

Do they use the correct balancing weights?, and place them correctly?

Are you getting new valve cores? or whole valves? or nothing?

I could go on, but it wouldn't be appreciated anyway......  :tilt:

Offline Brenton

• 300kph+ club

WOW...... I LOVE the passion
I had no intention of starting this cat fight.

If i read through all this moral and ethical B.S. I almost get a little bit of information.

A brand - Continental (from all reports they seem to be high quality at a fair price)
F F you sound in the know so lets work with Continental.

You talk size look in the door panel well I have done that and it said 225 45 18 front and 265 35 18 rear.
The car currently has correct front but 295 30 18 on the rear and I have seen upto 315 on the rear.

My rear rim will only handle a 295 as a max.

Will going back to a 265 give me a sharper handle but less grip or can I get more grip and equal amout of sharpness in the handleing with 295 or 285.

These are the million dollar questions that will be appreciated.

Offline andecorp

• Biggest daddy in the park 300kph+ club
  • No idea how to make her happy!

• Drives: too many cars for one ass
ok....

well, You can't say anything bad about continental tyres, they're superb.

The size you need will be on the tyre placard in the door gap, or in the owners manual.

Regarding low bidders and tyre sales...

Watch out for old stock. Date codes are written on the side walls.  You don't want tyres fitted that are already 3 years old....

Make sure they have good quality fitting and balancing equipment, and know how to use it. A damaged tyre could kill you. A damaged wheel will annoy you and might kill you.

Do they know the wheel nut torque?

Do they do the wheels up to the correct torque?

Do they lift the car correctly?

Do they use the correct balancing weights?, and place them correctly?

Are you getting new valve cores? or whole valves? or nothing?

I could go on, but it wouldn't be appreciated anyway......  :tilt:

I think you are wasting your breath. This type of thought process seems to be over their heads.
You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot.

• Soap Dodger

A brand - Continental (from all reports they seem to be high quality at a fair price)
F F you sound in the know so lets work with Continental.

in the door panel well I have done that and it said 225 45 18 front and 265 35 18 rear.
The car currently has correct front but 295 30 18 on the rear and I have seen upto 315 on the rear.

My rear rim will only handle a 295 as a max.

Will going back to a 265 give me a sharper handle but less grip or can I get more grip and equal amout of sharpness in the handleing with 295 or 285.

These are the million dollar questions that will be appreciated.

"handling" is entirely subjective. a narrower width of a same  (but not identical)  tyre will obviously give less grip....

BUT width isn't everything...

new v old... new is grippier

soft v hard.. soft is grippier... what is the treadwear index? lower number is softer=grippier... written on sidewall

profile and or sidewall height is VERY important to the way it feels, and depends also on wall angle relative to rim width... a 295 on a 10" rim will feel quite different to a 295 on an 11" rim.

AND same size from different brand are not the identical size... typically, a Michelin is the widest for it's desribed size and a Pirelli the narrowest... but that varies too. eg a 295 Mich is about 15mm wider at contact patch than a 295 Pirelli.. depending on rim width and other variables....

Just get the correct sizes for road use, and get a wheel alignment too. Not a Bob Jane $33 one either... it takes at least an hour to do a proper job on a Porsche, maybe double....

I'd go with Continental, Or Michelin, but Pirelli are also great when they're new, probably the best...  but they do age quickly.

Offline Rat Boy

• 1158 : 143

Cups.

Hmm... Not for track... 888s then.
Cheers>>Jack

If you're not wasted, the day is.