Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Imagine a toughened version of the Boxster with a GT3-style engine, lowered, stiffer suspension, race buckets etc etc - that might fix the image issue.

Offline looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
Imagine a toughened version of the Boxster with a GT3-style engine, lowered, stiffer suspension, race buckets etc etc - that might fix the image issue.

that would be perfect, although will never happen, they could never have the boxster be better than the 911 :( even though technically its probably a better platform.

Offline app

I'd be interested in what observations others have, but to me, while it has that girly car look, I still see more men driving Boxters than women.

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.
I agree. I'd love one but I don't think it will ever shake the girly car image. It's having a soft top that does it, because a Cayman doesn't have the same image problem.

I think its the slightly soft shape that does it. The MX5 is also seen as girly but the Honda S2000 isnt. I think the Boxster needs a bit more aggressive styling to make it more masculine. Maybe they sell really well to feminine men so Porsche have left them alone for a long time.

Ive thought about buying some used Boxsters and MX-5 for a car hire business, something I'll never get around to but I think would do quite well. Both very strong, reliable cars.

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.
I'd be interested in what observations others have, but to me, while it has that girly car look, I still see more men driving Boxters than women.

Theyre an excellent drivers car. Theyre a Porsche, theyre reasonably fast and very reliable. In the right colour with some nice wheels they can look pretty macho so the feminine image can then go out the window. Other than going old school and getting an aging 944/968/928 theyre great value for someone that wants the yuppy ability to say I drive a Porsche.

Offline looney

theyre great value for someone that wants the yuppy ability to say I drive a Porsche.

haha, if i were to get a 987 as a DD, i'd tint the windows so nobody could see me in it, and i'd tell people i drive a VW.   

but that said, i tell people that with the TT, and also did with the GT3 LOL

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

haha, if i were to get a 987 as a DD, i'd tint the windows so nobody could see me in it, and i'd tell people i drive a VW.   

but that said, i tell people that with the TT, and also did with the GT3 LOL

Hired one once, it hit the red line so fast I missed it a couple of times but no problem, it just shuddered to tell me. shouldn't have told the owner though. :o

Offline 986986

• Drives: 997.2 S PDK; '12 Cayenne Diesel (family bus)

Had a 986 S think I said it earlier - simply a fabulous car and one of my favourites I have ever had (more than the V8
RS4) a sweet sweet car that rewarded on the limit driving with fabulous dynamics, great brakes, grip and poise.

My subsequent 911s are excellent but the Boxster was fantastic - only people who poo poo them have never driven them ....it's a Porsche and a loopy good one at that even the 2.7 car is a cracker as it revs and changes gear beautifully...Black on Black was mine, manual, with 19inch wheels and Bose sound....

Last thing, very economical as well, used Tires very well - think I got about 25,000km out of my first set of rear tyres (Michelin where best I found), servicing was very reasonable and I had no issues with quality of body or interior (did 50,000 odd Kms) in mine, and maybe it was my driving style but pads where only replaced once and brakes where never skimmed or changed.

Offline ckbag

Had a 986 S think I said it earlier - simply a fabulous car and one of my favourites I have ever had (more than the V8
RS4) a sweet sweet car that rewarded on the limit driving with fabulous dynamics, great brakes, grip and poise.

My subsequent 911s are excellent but the Boxster was fantastic - only people who poo poo them have never driven them ....it's a Porsche and a loopy good one at that even the 2.7 car is a cracker as it revs and changes gear beautifully...Black on Black was mine, manual, with 19inch wheels and Bose sound....

Last thing, very economical as well, used Tires very well - think I got about 25,000km out of my first set of rear tyres (Michelin where best I found), servicing was very reasonable and I had no issues with quality of body or interior (did 50,000 odd Kms) in mine, and maybe it was my driving style but pads where only replaced once and brakes where never skimmed or changed.

reading all these positive reviews makes me wanna get one lol.

saw a white 987 which i thought was real nice, just a little worried it enhances the girly image further with that color...

but in saying that a guy was driving that so maybe i am worrying too much lol

also on the flip side i see quite few ladies driving around in 911's. '
saw a lady with number plates [mako] driving around in a 987 turbo cab couple of month ago and when i went to the porsche dealer recently there was a 991 S with the same plate with a sold sign on the front.

Offline looney

reading all these positive reviews makes me wanna get one lol.

saw a white 987 which i thought was real nice, just a little worried it enhances the girly image further with that color...

but in saying that a guy was driving that so maybe i am worrying too much lol

also on the flip side i see quite few ladies driving around in 911's. '
saw a lady with number plates [mako] driving around in a 987 turbo cab couple of month ago and when i went to the porsche dealer recently there was a 991 S with the same plate with a sold sign on the front.

you mean 997 Turbo Cab,  and yes she now has a white 991 Carrera S cab, both were nice looking cars