Offline JBO

• Drives: Something that doesn't meet my aspirations...yet...
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6N3GEahwOrI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6N3GEahwOrI</a>
The general public is a terrible barometer of taste. Trust your own sensibilities.

Offline looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
I think the 981 is the car of the year,

a perfect car for almost everything, and it finally doesnt look crap :D

all it needs is an exhaust and ECU re-map and it will have the 350bhp of the 991 in a tidier package :D  lets hope it finally stops that Boxster stigma of a girly car, because i think its fantastic

Offline 986986

• Drives: 997.2 S PDK; '12 Cayenne Diesel (family bus)
Interesting comparison aside from the technical detail I really don't think Jethro is a patch on Chris Harris when it comes to engaging in these video's just My opinion though!

Back to the cars though, the 981 is bloody impressive - I remember my Boxster S with real affection ......it's funny the only people who rubbish them are those that haven't driven them! Even the standard Boxster is a sweet little thing that requires you to rev the nuts off it and drive it hard then rewards massively .......kind of like an early SWB 911 :thumbsup:

Offline JBO

• Drives: Something that doesn't meet my aspirations...yet...
I have actually been thinking 987 Boxster lately because of the value they represent (not interested in 986 - newer one way better looking).

These two in particular although not Boxster S are very good value.
http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=13364846
http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/dealer/details.aspx?R=13481117

There was a great Boxster S for $55k but it was snapped up very quickly.

I really want a cayman but they're still 10-15k more...that will change when the new one comes out...maybe I'll wait a bit!!!!

The general public is a terrible barometer of taste. Trust your own sensibilities.

Offline looney

@ JBO,

you're not the only one, ive been eyeing off those same cars too, a lot of car for the money, i too would prefer a cayman, but not worth the extra $10-15k IMO

Offline 986986

@ JBO,

you're not the only one, ive been eyeing off those same cars too, a lot of car for the money, i too would prefer a cayman, but not worth the extra $10-15k IMO

Both excellent buying IMO Black looks great on the 986/987 just a view point - I always thought rear senors on them was a must have as its a bit blind with the hood up

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

I think the 981 is the car of the year,

a perfect car for almost everything, and it finally doesnt look crap :D

all it needs is an exhaust and ECU re-map and it will have the 350bhp of the 991 in a tidier package :D  lets hope it finally stops that Boxster stigma of a girly car, because i think its fantastic

I agree. I'd love one but I don't think it will ever shake the girly car image. It's having a soft top that does it, because a Cayman doesn't have the same image problem.

Offline looney

I agree. I'd love one but I don't think it will ever shake the girly car image. It's having a soft top that does it, because a Cayman doesn't have the same image problem.

i dont know if anyone else has had this though, but if they fitted the boxster with a roof similar to that of the 458 & MP4/12C convertibles they could probably eliminate the cayman and have 1 model that fits quite a few market segments.  and would honestly be as much car as anyone would ever need.  would be a perfect DD, weekender, and still offer enough thrills to not really get boring.

just a thought anyway.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

i dont know if anyone else has had this though, but if they fitted the boxster with a roof similar to that of the 458 & MP4/12C convertibles they could probably eliminate the cayman and have 1 model that fits quite a few market segments.  and would honestly be as much car as anyone would ever need.  would be a perfect DD, weekender, and still offer enough thrills to not really get boring.

just a thought anyway.

Good point but eliminating market segments isn't the way to profitability - the love to create new ones!

Offline 986986

just a thought anyway.

Without getting off topic it's interesting to note that Porsche owns the company that first invented the solid steel/aluminium folding roof and secondly the convertible roof on the 991 is actually a composite roof with a fabric covering over the top - our friends at Porsche wanted to maintain the clear delineation / difference between coupe and cab