Offline Sample011

Hello, I live in Melbourne Victoria. I will be getting my license back after a log break and I am now looking for some sort of car, that is fun to drive, won't get me into much trouble and is something unique. Ever since i was as young as 5, i fell in love with Porsche and ALL of their cars. I'm only 20 years old, student, don't have decent income due to full time studying. I've saved up close to $15000 to buy my next car. My previous car was 330ci BMW and it was beautiful in fact i'm considering it as one of my options) I didn't know who to ask so, i figured i could get some help here.
Basically:
1. What sort of car will i be looking at for under $15000
2. How expensive are Porsche parts? And can u get them cheaper on the web with decent quality?
3. Can you maintain it yourself? (not familiar with rear engine set ups and their maintenance)
4. Can I expect reliability for the price?

any advice will be helpful,
Thank you

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

If you've saved 15 grand at age 20, please don't waste it all on a car.
Buy something cheap and keep saving. Then buy real estate. Once you have a good income and a house (or three), THEN start squandering it on old Porsches.

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.
If you've saved 15 grand at age 20, please don't waste it all on a car.
Buy something cheap and keep saving. Then buy real estate. Once you have a good income and a house (or three), THEN start squandering it on old Porsches.

+1

Look at something like this, you can buy cheaper but this is a Carrera RS. Buy this first and then listen to that ^^^ guy.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Porsche-911-Carrera-RS-2-7-1973-yellow-diecast-model-car-KDW-1-43-/181421958776?_trksid=p2054897.l5658

Offline jamesatfish

I've never met Mark (mhh) in person but purely based on his interactions on this forum I'd take any advice he suggests, get it printed as a motivational poster and follow it to the letter.  In terms if setting yourself up in life, a $15k savings balance at age 20 is a great way to start on the long ladder to earning some serious coin.

Or, you could abandon all common sense and squander the money on an old Porsche that needs lots of maintenance to keep running, will cost a bomb to insure and will be slower in all respects than a 10 year old Golf GTI.

In almost exactly the same position as you in my early 20s I faced the same decision - take the path to set myself up for the future or spend for today.

I bought a 928 S4.

If you are set on the Porsche path despite all logic, and you can handle a spanner, set a budget of $8-9k and buy a 944. They're easy to work on, parts are cheap from the states and they're a great handling, well balanced coupe.  You won't set the world on fire with performance but if that was your aim you're looking at the wrong cars.  Keep a few thousand aside for maintenance and invest the balance so you've got at least some of your savings working for your next purchase.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

James, at 20 I was a Uni dropout who spent what little money I had on a very used Kawasaki 500 Mach 3 which had a V8-like thirst but was scary-quick and could pull wheelies without warning. I loved it. I'm better at throwing the advice around than I ever was taking it. :)

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: TBA
  • Name: Peter
James, at 20 I was a Uni dropout who spent what little money I had on a very used Kawasaki 500 Mach 3 which had a V8-like thirst but was scary-quick and could pull wheelies without warning. I loved it. I'm better at throwing the advice around than I ever was taking it. :)

Similar story here.

I was going to add he should spend the money and get whatever car he likes. YOLO, remember?
I love my car. Buy your own

Offline Brenton

• 300kph+ club
  • DJ's like a mad ...........

• Drives: Yes

At 20 I was at uni full time and working 3 jobs.
Bought my first house the next year but took another 10 years to buy my first Porsche (with cash no loan)

Listen to marks advice. It is accurate.

Offline mtarone

Appropriate? :)

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

At 20 I was at uni full time and working 3 jobs.
Bought my first house the next year but took another 10 years to buy my first Porsche (with cash no loan)

Listen to marks advice. It is accurate.

+1

in fact one step further, pay off your first house and get started on an income producing investment ( shares/house/commercial)

When I was 26 I was tossing up setting up a second business or buying a lotus elise.  I forewent the elise and the business is worth a lot more and I still managed to get a few toys a few years later.

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: TBA
  • Name: Peter
OMG guys. ... He's a petrol head and just wants to buy a car!

He's got his whole life to make a boat load of money, and he might get hit by a bus at 25!

I started with cars early and have no regrets. If I knew more about Porsches, I'd give him the actual advice he's looking for.
I love my car. Buy your own