Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

OMG guys. ... He's a petrol head and just wants to buy a car!

He's got his whole life to make a boat load of money, and he might get hit by a bus at 25!

I started with cars early and have no regrets. If I knew more about Porsches, I'd give him the actual advice he's looking for.

$15k isn't much, and will be quickly eroded by costs.

if you have the financial backing to start early - different story

Offline dkabab

+1

in fact one step further, pay off your first house and get started on an income producing investment ( shares/house/commercial)

When I was 26 I was tossing up setting up a second business or buying a lotus elise.  I forewent the elise and the business is worth a lot more and I still managed to get a few toys a few years later.

no you just need to learn to play with them

Offline jamesatfish

OMG guys. ... He's a petrol head and just wants to buy a car

Righto.

If you want to spend the whole $15k on a Porsche, buy an early 2.5 or 2.7 Boxster.  You'll get a mid-engined 2 seat convertible Porsche, brilliant handling, reasonably modern interior, good safety features and a heap of fun.  There are plenty on Carsales for sub $20k and you should be able to pick one up for $15k, as they don't move very quickly even at that price. Get one where the IMS has been replaced and that's both a plus for engine longevity and a good sign that at least one previous owner took good care of the car mechanically.

Forget rear-engined- you won't get a 911 worth owning in that budget.

I went the 928 route myself, but they're far more complex than the 944 (especially the later digital dash S4s) and you don't really want a 25yr old car with complex electrics.  We've still got our 84 928S and the exhaust note is awesome, but compared to a Boxster for the same money you're giving up a lot (ABS and airbags to start) just for that noise. Not to mention the 928 was sold as a GT so most are 4 speed autos and the manuals are a horrid dog-leg 1st layout.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Offline barra

I resisisted $60k m3's at 18 (still had enthusiast cars, just cheap ones) to have this at 23
People will always tell you to do 'smarter' things with your money but you have to work out what level of wealth, standard of living, disposable income etc your comfortable with.

And yea, you won't get a 911 worn owning for less than $25k IMO

Offline j15

I'd follow the financial advice if I had my time again, but there are a lot of fun memories I would have missed out on.

Re choice of of car, I anticipate that insuring a Porsche would be pretty difficult if you're 20 and not squeaky clean.

I'd be looking at E30 BMWs. They can be had for much less than $15k, they're easy to maintain, don't draw the attention of police, are reasonably well balanced for a car from that era, and they're RWD. A manual 318iS has a great little 4 Cylinder and would be my car of choice if I were in your position.

Offline ferrarista2

• Drives: Slowly
I resisisted $60k m3's at 18 (still had enthusiast cars, just cheap ones) to have this at 23
People will always tell you to do 'smarter' things with your money but you have to work out what level of wealth, standard of living, disposable income etc your comfortable with.

And yea, you won't get a 911 worn owning for less than $25k IMO
Yeah good point.....colour is a major factor too when considering a cheaper car.
Everything looks better in carbon fibre

Offline 9911

So this might sound a bit gay but hear me out....

Renault Clio. Even something 10 years old is quick and has power steer, air con, cheap to buy, cheap to insure, cheap on fuel! Just make sure you have good tyres and this car will out handle probably most cars under $10k!! Id look at it closely.

Offline Fil-Ski

• Drives: 993TT
So this might sound a bit gay but hear me out....

Renault Clio. Even something 10 years old is quick and has power steer, air con, cheap to buy, cheap to insure, cheap on fuel! Just make sure you have good tyres and this car will out handle probably most cars under $10k!! Id look at it closely.

182 Cup. Can't go wrong. Just get some good rubber on it.

Offline barra

Oh god...
Op: what porsche do I buy for $15k?
Forum: Renault Clio, e30 BMW, house