Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Can anyone recommend a decent wheel balance place in Adelaide.  My Carrera S has had new tyres very carefully fitted by North Terrace Tyres after problems with the job done by Bob Jane Pulteney Street.  Bob Jane also had the front wheels sent out for re-rolling after finding some pothole damage in one.  But the car still isn't 100% right. 

Is there a superior way of balancing wheels than the standard balancer?  Several times I've heard that my wheels are "just right" on the balancer when they clearly aren't when on the car.

Offline leburpor

• Loves Tom Cruise

Mark, i forgot to mention that I also use the guys at Mag & Wheel Tyre Centre on Prospect Rd. They have the laser balancing equipment... might be worth trying them out?

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

They have the laser balancing equipment... might be worth trying them out?

Is that the one that balances the wheels "on" the car???

Not sure how it works but I am fairly sure I have seen this advertised before - apparently balancing the wheels "on" the car is better????
Someone may be able to expand on this????

Offline SiFi

• Navigator/Serial Killer

Mag & Wheel Tyre Centre on Prospect Rd.

+1

When I first went there with my car to be setup, the guy who worked on it looked like a bikie and said he hated working on Renaults. However he spent the time on the car setting it up properly, and it has remained in spec ever since.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Thanks guys.   I'll check it out.  :thumbsup:

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
Is that the one that balances the wheels "on" the car???

Not sure how it works but I am fairly sure I have seen this advertised before - apparently balancing the wheels "on" the car is better????
Someone may be able to expand on this????

well.... if it's JUST a wheel balance issue, it can  and SHOULD be done off the car... in order that the wheel can be fitted without indexing to a point each time it is removed.

But, if the wheel is TRULY balanced off the car, and of course found to be actually round, yet you still have a vibration, then you may have a brake disc balance problem..... and you can fix this by balancing the wheel ON the car.

I used to do it years ago.... mechanic sits on a little trolley with a spinning drum mounted up front... attach a sensor to the car, "drive the trolley" into the wheel to spin it up..... then press the strobe light button, to be shown the place the weights need to go...

sensor sends message to gauge to say how much weight to fit...... this is a a very old fashioned method... i was doing this back in the late 80's.... haven't done it since.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Update......

Still working through the dealer and we have tried just about everything, including fitting new front wheels and tyres from a new car and still the problem persists - so the problem isn't front wheels and tyres.  The dealer then checked for runout on the hubs, but they are within tolerance.   I think the service manager has just about run out of ideas and probably reached the conclusion that the problem is me - although he's far too polite to say it!

We are checking all 4 wheels and tyres again on the balancer but it that doesn't fix it (and I'm betting it won't), then I'll probably sell the car.   

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
How noticable was it on the island?  Seemed like it might have been something which was more annoying driving "normally" - dunno.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

How noticable was it on the island?  Seemed like it might have been something which was more annoying driving "normally" - dunno.

On the island I had a buckled rim but this was really only noticeable when cruising - I was too busy hanging on!

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
Drive it to Melbourne, or fly me to you, and I'll find the fault in 30 minutes.

If the steering wheel shakes, it's front end.

If the seat frame/car shakes, it's rear end.

Does braking make it any better or worse?

What brand tyres are fitted? Maybe BOTH sets you tried have some run out in the tyre... it's quite possible.

Go over the facts again.... you damaged a wheel, had it re-rolled and new tyres fitted, and it still vibrates... yes?

The/each wheel and tyre must be studied for run out off the car on the balancer.... simply balancing it WILL not get rid of a run out induced vibration.

A tyre vibration through run out, can often be felt worse at low speeds, then reducing as speed builds.

In extreme cases, a COMPLETELY buggered shock absorber may transmit a vibration through the steering wheel.

A damaged steering rack/mount could cause the problem.

What EXACTLY is the symptom.