Offline app

heheh....

hitting the kerb won't affect balance. It'll make them have run out, which can't be fixed by balancing.

the tyres had just been changed and they adjusted everything so that it was good

surely this perfect state would have been undone by driving over the top of the kerb at a speed higher than you would like??

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
the tyres had just been changed and they adjusted everything so that it was good

driving over the top of the kerb at a speed higher than you would like unadjusts it right??

hitting the kerb could buckle a wheel and give it run out....

or bend something, or even just move the wheel alignment...

but it won't affect balance of the wheel.

Offline app

hitting the kerb could buckle a wheel and give it run out....

or bend something, or even just move the wheel alignment...

but it won't affect balance of the wheel.

goes to show how much tyre sales people people know - i was told it affects the alignment and balance

anyway, regardless of whether the balance was affected, it did affect the alignment for sure because if you took your hand of the steering wheel it was steer to the left very quickly

but anyway, you learn something new everyday

• Soap Dodger

In a freaky incident, on a wheel with knock on weights, that aren't covered with wheel trims.. it IS possible to actually slide the weight around the rim a bit... if you rub it gently along the kerb.....

which COULD effect balance...

LOOK OUT! There's a meteor about to hit your head!

Offline SiFi

• Navigator/Serial Killer

I've never experienced a failed or noisy wheel bearing that causes a vibration.

I've seen wheels virtually hanging off through bearing failure, but still they don't vibrate.

You also get bad brake knock off, as the brake discs knock the pads back into the caliper.... which Mark has not got.

Hehe, that's almost an OzRS forum type reply, next I'll get called a liar. :-)

Granted I'm not a qualified or full-time, or even part-time mechanic. And the symptoms you describe are the same as I've found with taper and some single row ball bearings. However I've found that the later type double row ball bearings can set up a shimmy/vibration through the car in a different way to the older type of bearings. Brakes seemed to work OK, but the problem was found to be failing wheel bearings in the hubs, the noise and slight vibration through the car disappeared when the hubs were replaced.

It was just a suggestion in goodwill, amongst the possible Heinz 57 varietes of problems that could be causing the problem. I guess mhh, or the lucky new owner, will find what the exact problem is sooner or later! :-)

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Si, how about you, me and Brenton go for a spin up the freeway on the weekend?  I'd be keen to see if you guys can feel it.  Also, I haven't seen BG's new car yet!

Offline dkabab

FF, can you explain what "run out" is?

Offline SiFi

• Navigator/Serial Killer

Si, how about you, me and Brenton go for a spin up the freeway on the weekend?  I'd be keen to see if you guys can feel it.  Also, I haven't seen BG's new car yet!

Just thinking the wet road noise may just confuse the issue, probably best to wait until a clear weekend given the current forecast. That is unless the problem gets sorted in the meantime. 

• Soap Dodger

FF, can you explain what "run out" is?

the wheel is no longer round!...

as it spins, it runs out of true... it may run out radially (like it's bent) or axially (like the middle is off centre).... both are run out, and both cause similar symptoms

• Soap Dodger

Hehe, that's almost an OzRS forum type reply, next I'll get called a liar. :-)

Granted I'm not a qualified or full-time, or even part-time mechanic. And the symptoms you describe are the same as I've found with taper and some single row ball bearings. However I've found that the later type double row ball bearings can set up a shimmy/vibration through the car in a different way to the older type of bearings. Brakes seemed to work OK, but the problem was found to be failing wheel bearings in the hubs, the noise and slight vibration through the car disappeared when the hubs were replaced.

It was just a suggestion in goodwill, amongst the possible Heinz 57 varietes of problems that could be causing the problem. I guess mhh, or the lucky new owner, will find what the exact problem is sooner or later! :-)

I was careful to not offend you! You KNOW I would offend you if I intended to, right ?  :thumbsup:

I was just quoting from my experience..... which is significant, but NOT all conquering!