Offline Fortis

• 300kph+ club

I feel the presence of the dark force over my shoulder..... :eek:

But seriously the range issue is killing me, I simply dont know my budget.

Only way I can teach you how capitalism works  :thumbsup:

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al
If it's a DD I'd go the 996 Turbo Tip ... will feel more special to drive every day, will get more comments, on paper it's more of an enthusiasts car and you don't see many around.

Either car would be a great DD, but the 996 Tip would be more interesting (to me at least). I miss my 997.1 turbo!
C'mon, do it!

Offline 98octane

I live in Kinglake on Pine ridge road.. MB are the lawyers running the class action settlement.... as we lost everything except  each other in the 2009 fires, the payout will be quite a few bucks for me (but not as much as you might think given the circumstances and the costs of the case).

Geez. Sorry to hear.

I was in Marysville a few weeks ago and looks like a lot had been rebuilt, often to a higher standard as now required by law, which presumably costs more than many people had insured for.

Offline David B

Not enough worthy of investing instead?

Thats the challenge isnt it,  look at max its less than 150K at worst its  a little less than 100K and I have allocated about 70K already to bills and reducing my morgage.

But I agree, its a dilema.. spend on something you have always wanted et etc.

I am hoping if I buy the right 911, It will cost me to run and maintain but will hold value.

Offline looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
but the other one is a Turbo....the icon!!

Mind you, I like the PASM idea that's already been mentioned in another thread. I love the thought of the jekyll and hyde thing

Having owned a 996 turbo I can tell you the 997 interior is a nicer place to be.

If it were a manual tt would be a different story, but the tip is just crap imo and I've driven a couple of turbos with the tip and they just felt like a slush box in the truest sense compared to a PDK.

They don't even take off in first gear.  Second gear starts let you know just how setup they are for lazy driving.

Offline David B

Geez. Sorry to hear.

I was in Marysville a few weeks ago and looks like a lot had been rebuilt, often to a higher standard as now required by law, which presumably costs more than many people had insured for.

I was fully insured with RACV and they were great, but under insured given the BAL laws made my house more expensive and it doenst cover, fences, retaining walls, demolition etc etc.
I should have upped it and as I had dollar value not replacement It was a bit of a struggle.  The GFC right before it also really hit my consulting work which had crept up to about 60% of my income... so it was a double whammy, and the oldest daughter started freeking out a little as she was 5 and so the wife decided to extend her annual leave to help her through it (I agreed too but it smashed us around financially).

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

Thats the challenge isnt it,  look at max its less than 150K at worst its  a little less than 100K and I have allocated about 70K already to bills and reducing my morgage.

But I agree, its a dilema.. spend on something you have always wanted et etc.

I am hoping if I buy the right 911, It will cost me to run and maintain but will hold value.

Not that I am in a position to give financial advice, but if invested well, it will buy your car in a few years with lost of change.  Sure it's nice to give yourself a bonus every now and then,but I like to make sure there is enough behind me to provide a decent lifestyle without stressing about the next dollar. Plus, have you looked at how much interest it will knock off the mortgage if you put it all on it?

Offline looney

I like this one, but the colour must be unpopular...it's been sitting around for months.

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-2008/SSE-AD-4103871/?Cr=0

Yes very unpopular in porsche circles.  I mentioned to the porsche mechanic that i was looking at a tt in orient red because i like the colour and he told me in no uncertain terms "go ahead and like the colour, but by no means buy it, you will have it forever"

I ended up with jet black instead and regretted it the second the car carrier arrived. Black looks great for 10 minutes then it's dirty again. But that's a tangent not relevant to this thread

Offline looney

If it's a DD I'd go the 996 Turbo Tip ... will feel more special to drive every day, will get more comments, on paper it's more of an enthusiasts car and you don't see many around.

Either car would be a great DD, but the 996 Tip would be more interesting (to me at least). I miss my 997.1 turbo!

It's a valid point you make about the tt being a little more of an occasion,  it's precisely the exact opposite reasoning in my head selecting the 997 carrera S as a daily.  Slightly less conspicuous and a little more usable

Offline F1V10

• Drives: V10 M5
  • Name: Mr HaHa