Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
I only bother to trawl the classic Porsche classifieds once a month or so, and all I seem to stumble upon are LHD and "project" cars.  Are people buying them from Asia thinking they got a bargain then realise it's more hassle than it's worth or something?

Offline 993tits

• Pepé Le Porsche

I only bother to trawl the classic Porsche classifieds once a month or so, and all I seem to stumble upon are LHD and "project" cars.  Are people buying them from Asia thinking they got a bargain then realise it's more hassle than it's worth or something?

YES
Always Gunna

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Back in the late 90's, early 2000's when I was involved with a bit of importing from the USA, every second container had at least 2 or 3 Porkers in there.

In 2002 or there abouts I could have purchased an early 70's 911 for about $3k US. So I could have had one landed and in the shed for under $10k Aus.
But that is when the headaches would begin so that why I never gave one a go.

Also know a few guys who did buy cars and imported them, but when they had them converted, the conversions were bad, really bad.
I saw a dash pad once that had been filled with some sort of "no more gaps" expanding foam stuff. And it passed an Engineers report.  :irked:

I think everybody is a little worried at the moment and are trying to off load stuff before the shit really hits the fan.

Offline HeadsUp

Back in the late 90's, early 2000's when I was involved with a bit of importing from the USA, every second container had at least 2 or 3 Porkers in there.

In 2002 or there abouts I could have purchased an early 70's 911 for about $3k US. So I could have had one landed and in the shed for under $10k Aus.
But that is when the headaches would begin so that why I never gave one a go.

Also know a few guys who did buy cars and imported them, but when they had them converted, the conversions were bad, really bad.
I saw a dash pad once that had been filled with some sort of "no more gaps" expanding foam stuff. And it passed an Engineers report.  :irked:

I think everybody is a little worried at the moment and are trying to off load stuff before the shit really hits the fan.

Yeah , if we had another 2 years of recession ( or worse ) , then second hand luxury cars will be going for 80 % less than they are now.

The great depression of 1930  took 17 years to pass , but this one should be quicker .............. touch wood he says with hand on head .

Offline Fil-Ski

• Drives: 993TT
Yeah , if we had another 2 years of recession ( or worse ) , then second hand luxury cars will be going for 80 % less than they are now.

The great depression of 1930  took 17 years to pass , but this one should be quicker .............. touch wood he says with hand on head .

Checkout a the movie I.O.U.S.A.
What we need is a real crash to clear everything out, propping up car makers and banks is just going to make the next crash worse.

Offline HeadsUp

Checkout a the movie I.O.U.S.A.
What we need is a real crash to clear everything out, propping up car makers and banks is just going to make the next crash worse.

i used to think that too......... but things may not recover in the way you think

politicians cant tell us the truth right now because it would trigger a panic and collapse

it _ would _ result in a collapse of the global monetary system as you know it , and none of us can predict how that would turn out

would there be a mad-max style anarchy ?

would it trigger a nuclear war ?

would one country decide to just shelter half a million of its richest citizens underground and allow nuclear war to wipe the slate clean ?

could it  result in 2 or 3 generations of humanity rebuilding from life as paupers ?

intelligent governments would have strategies in place to bring in a fixed currency , fixed exchange rate within their own countries

but any foreign nation that owes us billions in loans would be waving the finger at us , and if foreign exchange cannot be controlled from wild swings and devastation of the weakest currencies , then the entire export market for us becomes a worthless joke , what does our economy and workforce do if our export sector vanishes overnight ?

what happens if we suddenly cant import all those consumer goods we crave because countries dont trust each others credit worthiness , and we cant manufacture them here either because all our manufacturers went bankrupt or closed their doors years ago because they couldnt compete with subsidised chinese exports ?

... but anyway ............ back to the good news  :eek:

keep a positive expectation and focus on what we can do to improve what was behind us .....

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

would there be a mad-max style anarchy ?

Bring it on I say.........!!!!!!    I've already got the XC coupe with body kit and painted mat black ready to go.

Can't wait!!!!     :headbang:

Latest Discussions