Linked Events

• Adelaide Clipsal 500: Thu, 19 Mar, 2009 - Sun, 22 Mar, 2009

Offline Doctor

• Left Sodways
  • Under a Vw, or behind a Camera...

Dave, ill catch up with ya and head over and visit at the same time, gunna be a big 4 days is suspect, photo wise, as well as heat stroke and sunburn, especially for you!!
www.brassmunkymedia.com.au

Oversteer Scares The Passengers , Understeer Scares The Driver

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Murray Walker takes a swipe at Adelaide's grandstand politics

RESPECTED motorsport commentator Murray Walker says it "beggars belief" that organisers of the Clipsal 500 are forced to tear down their world-class facilities each year.

Mr Walker, who has called racing around the globe for 60 years, says Adelaide's grandstand and corporate centre should become permanent fixtures.

"The fact that it is going up every year and coming down every year just beggars belief," he said yesterday.

"It seems to me unbelievable, incredible and, if I can make a political statement, totally unnecessary.

"I've spent a great deal of my life travelling around the world looking at motorsport events . .  and I can honestly say I have never ever seen anything like this anywhere else in the world, full stop."

The decision to build a temporary stand came last year after the Adelaide City Council rejected a $55 million proposal from the State Government to build a state-of-the-art permanent stand.

Deputy Premier Kevin Foley labelled it a solution that could happen "only in Adelaide". Mr Walker said the "commonsense" approach was to open the complex to events year-round.

The specially designed German facilities were delivered to Adelaide for assembly four months ago. At the unveiling yesterday, South Australian Motor Sport Board chairman Roger Cook acknowledged the irony of placing a permanent plaque on a temporary building.

"We'd love to leave it here. The quality of this building is such that it could certainly stay up and we could be proud of it," he said.

"It does seem strange that next week we start demolition."

The total build and removal period spans around four months and costs $750,000 annually.

Mr Cook said it was crucial Adelaide remained ahead of the pack as other cities began vying to host major races. He estimated the event was worth $40 million to the state each year.

"The payback to the state is enormous. In very tough times it becomes even more important that events of this nature create jobs," he said.

Mr Cook said a permanent facility could be used for events such as the Tour Down Under and Classic Adelaide.

He downplayed the chance of extending the Clipsal 500 event to include other motorsport categories, saying it was likely to cause "enormous angst".

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,25190500-2682,00.html

Online Fil-Ski

• Drives: 993TT
The whole Victoria Grandstand save the trees, hug a whale issue is an absolute joke and so typical of South Australia.

I live close to the Victoria  Park and  the place looks like an absolute mess. I dont understand why people complained about a permanent structure when the Clipsal 500 temporary grandstand takes about 6months to erect and take down every year, not to mention its ugly. 

Since the SAJC has moved on no one is watering the grass. A once nice green park looks like crap. Id argue and say that the place is even less accessible to the public then before. Half demolished buildings, ugly car park, temporary fencing.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
...temporary grandstand takes about 6months to erect and take down every year...

Yup - look at the start date of this thread :?

Went for a run through the park last night - construction has already begun :eek:

Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David
the save the trees people argue that the grandstand is only of use whilst theres still a car race each year
whilst its going well at the moment, theres no guarantee in say, 10 years time, that we would still have the race through the city

The issue is with that attitude is, you would never build anything ever again

Theres huge areas of parklands laying idle around Adelaide, with just dead grass
head out to the north adelaide side and its even worse, theres big areas there which I would be concerned to walk through at night, right over the road from the picadilly cinema for example
You dont see anyone using any of this during the day either, theres a few half dead looking horses tied up in there

I say we do something with it, plant a forest would be better than leaving it as dead grass, or build housing, high rise apartments for all I care, if more people lived in the city or nearby, Adelaide would be a far more vibrant place

Offline dkabab

could stir the pot with a permenant race track in the city. use one of the parklands, victoria park would be great, you could fit a race track in there. might be a bit tight, maybe one of the southern parklands between south tce and greenhill rd.

Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

Got tickets today for Friday. Kira and I will be wandering around. Who else will be there?

Are we having a meal together?

Offline Doctor

• Left Sodways
  • Under a Vw, or behind a Camera...

Got tickets today for Friday. Kira and I will be wandering around. Who else will be there?

Are we having a meal together?

Ill be there, probably wandering around with Dave

As for a meal, who knows, i cant Friday night, i got shafted and have to work from 5pm, might catch you guys after for a beer though if your still kicking along
www.brassmunkymedia.com.au

Oversteer Scares The Passengers , Understeer Scares The Driver

Offline TTz

• Mr White

Please make sure you have a look at PCR (Wilson Racing(main sponsor)  and My Company ASTRONTECH.....
Cars 111 and 333....

I can organise pit tours etc if you like ?

Let me know
[url=http://aussieexotics.com/forum/lamborghini/mr-White-

Offline dkabab

Please make sure you have a look at PCR (Wilson Racing(main sponsor)  and My Company ASTRONTECH.....
Cars 111 and 333....

I can organise pit tours etc if you like ?

Let me know

PM sent  :D