Offline dkabab

I'm curious to know whether there would be enough interest from the adelaide guys, to run a gokarting league.

ive always wanted to get into motorsport in some form or another and gokarting its a fantastic way, i know we have talked about it before on here but im looking seriously to get into it.

i was thinking, if we could get enough committed people on board (10+) then we could approach a karting facility like the one at monarto, and have our own league. maybe racing once a month, like the 2nd saturday of every month for example.

ive been looking into costings, and excluding things like trailers, racing suits, helmets etc... the karts would cost roughly 3-4k second hand, or 4-8k new.... of course we would have parity in engines as to keep spending to a minimum.
maybe if we bought 10+ karts in a group buy new, we could get a pretty decent price.

if not enough are interested, i will be going at this anyway, just thought it would be great if the whole racing series consisted of friends/acquaintances....

feel free to throw ideas around here...

Offline leburpor

• Loves Tom Cruise

Keep me in the loop as I'm interested. Concerned about weight though as I'm 120kgs but maybe this will incentivise me to lose weight :P

Might be easier to join existing league if you are really keen. There's even a dirt kart league which is supposedly more crazy..

Offline dkabab

dont stress too much, im 110kg. btw, class rules for TAG Unrestricted or TAG Restricted have weight minimums, so assuming we raced under AKA, the light weights would need to add lead weights anyway.

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

, the light weights would need to add lead weights anyway.

but that would give light weights an advantage in that we can distribute the weight to get as close to 50/50 distribution as possible

Offline leburpor

• Loves Tom Cruise

but that would give light weights an advantage in that we can distribute the weight to get as close to 50/50 distribution as possible

That's how I understand it too, and the added weight is not enough to match our weight I think, so we heavy guys lose out again.

Offline RS

• Drives: AMG
Not feeling the love towards "light weights"

I would be interested in something like this but as much as i love my motorsport and want to get more involved behind the wheel and not as a pit accessory i have other places in which any excess funds are going towards
Convict by heritage, Guilty by Choice

Offline RS

• Drives: AMG
That's how I understand it too, and the added weight is not enough to match our weight I think, so we heavy guys lose out again.

well if you run a 100cc kart, I'm 62 Kg so i can have a 50CC Kart... simple   :D
Convict by heritage, Guilty by Choice

Offline alvchua

• Drives: Old junks
I'd be interested too - will definitely be in the super heavyweight category though!  :scratchchin:
Forgiveness is easier to achieve than permission!

Offline dkabab

there will never be parity.... even if we all had the same weight, there will always be one engine putting out a smidgen more hp, or someone will setup their camber/toe better, or someone is just a plain better driver.

as long as its close enough, it will sort itself out.

remember, these karts we are talking about have roughly 25-30hp, and will do 150kph. as much as a few kg will make some difference, driver skill in piloting a kart at those speeds will ultimately be the true advantage.

Offline M308

• Degranged

• Name: Scott Thomson
Count me in when your ready.......