Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,23272030-12428,00.html

RACING driver Ashley Cooper died in Royal Adelaide Hospital this afternoon from the injuries sustained in a horrific crash at the Clipsal 500 on Saturday.

Cooper, aged 27, from Ulladulla in NSW, was driving a Holden Commodore VZ – a V8 Supercar race machine – in the Fujitsu Series race, a support category to the main V8 racing.

He had been given emergency medical treatment trackside after the big smash at the notorious turn 8 of the Adelaide street circuit.

His car slammed into the crash wall after failing to exit the corner properly.

He was taken to the RAH and had been on life support systems, doctors worried about swelling of the brain.

He passed away at 1pm Adelaide time today.

SA Motor Sport Board chief executive Andrew Daniels said the thoughts of the entire motorsport community and, he believed, all of South Australia, were with Cooper's family and friends.

"It is so sad that he died while competing in a sport that he loved," he said.

Mr Daniels said the circuit met all the requirements of motor racing safety but any improvement suggested from any of the police, coronial or Confederation of Australian Motor Sport enquiries would be taken up.

He said this was the first death in "thousands" of laps of racing at the track that held 11 Grands Prix, a Le Mans Series sports car race and 10 of the Clipsal 500 events

Confederation of Australian Motor Sport president Colin Osborne said Cooper's death was something that would be felt by the entire Australian motor sport community.

"Firstly our thoughts and sympathies go to Ashley's family and friends, particularly his wife Casey and two children and parents Alan and Maree," said Osborne.

"It is always a very sad day when any member of the motor sport community is taken from us.

"The motor racing community involves a close knit group of competitors and officials and I know that everyone will be feeling the loss of Ashley.

"CAMS will conduct its own full independent investigation to determine the circumstances leading to the incident. In the mean time, CAMS and event officials are working with the relevant civil authorities to assist with their investigations."

CAMS CEO Graham Fountain praised the actions of officials immediately following the incident.

"We have to thank our Clipsal 500 Adelaide officials for their swift and professional actions as the loss of Ashley will no doubt have an effect on our many volunteers who work tirelessly at amateur and professional motor sport events around the country each weekend.

"Our extensive counselling and support services will be offered to Ashley's family and friends as well as to the competitors and officials involved in the event to help them though this tragic time."

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
Very sad indeed.

But also very strange. The accident didn't appear to be THAT bad...

Maybe something broke inside the car... seat, belts or something?

Offline jim501

• Idiot Seeking Village

• Name: Cam
Yeah crash didn't look that hard as it was a sideswipe as opposed to head on.

The board has announced that all safety features worked and were intacted so much have been just a really bad flick.

Very sad but when they said he was still in critical condition yesterday it felt like Bathurst/Porter all over again.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

I didn't see any reports of what injuries he sustained in the crash, but yeah watching the crash it looked like a bump.  However having had my own neck broken in a 50kph bingle I know it doesn't take much.

Offline leburpor

• Loves Tom Cruise

my condolences to the family  :(

on the radio today, some ole timer racer (can't remember name) said motor racing is more dangerous today than ever, not because of the track or machine, but because drivers are more aggressive and take too much risks in order to win. don't know if i can totally agree with that comment  :scratchchin: having said that, don't think the Adelaide Clipsal track is that dangerous either...maybe at the end of the day "that's just motor racing".

Offline scud

• 300kph+ club
  • Rocket man

i had heard he clipped the right hand corner before hitting the wall on the left of the track , had heard his seat had come off / loose ???? something like that . maybe not the case , but some supports for race seats are dodgy in some cars. he was on the other side of the crash , and skimmed the wall , all be it a very hard hit . still he didn't hit it head on , and was able to wash off some speed . i assume the HANS device is manditory in that series ? very sad , RIP

Offline RS

• Drives: AMG
RIP ashley

very sad as FF said the accident didn't seem any worse than the previous accidents at that corner.

Early reports say the seat mount(s) may have broken on impact
Convict by heritage, Guilty by Choice

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

MEDIA STATEMENT FROM V8 SUPERCARS AUSTRALIA

‘It was sad to learn that Fujitsu V8 Supercar driver Ashley Cooper has passed away.

Ashley fought a strong battle but sadly his injuries were too great.

Our greatest sympathies and all of our wishes are with Ashley's family, in particular his partner Casey and their two children Ella and Bailey.

As a group we will do absolutely everything we can to support them at this time. I visited Ashley's parents and his partner Casey in hospital yesterday along with Clipsal 500 Chief Executive Andrew Daniels and we will continue support them along the rocky road ahead.

We ask that all members of the media respect the privacy of the family and do not contact them at this time.

A full and thorough inquiry into the accident will be conducted and led by CAMS.

We have had a preliminary look at the footage of the accident and from what it appears his car may have clipped the guard rail on entry to the corner. There is nothing that we can find that would indicate any failure of the seat, his HANS device, the straps or the roll cage.

Our sport over-complies with the highest FIA rules for closed cockpit racing and most of our teams extend even beyond our own high standards with their own safety measures.

Certainly there have been accidents that would appear far more severe than was the case here when drivers have walked away unscathed. Such is the nature of motorsport.

We will not be making any further comment at this time.’

Offline scud

• 300kph+ club
  • Rocket man

goober

I didn't see any reports of what injuries he sustained in the crash, but yeah watching the crash it looked like a bump.  However having had my own neck broken in a 50kph bingle I know it doesn't take much.

yes but you were not wearing a hans device, you had a condom on instead thats why your knob came out unscathed