Offline notsofast

Ouch. That's nasty especially being pinned between two cars like that. Hope he makes a quick recovery.

Any idea how far the Lambo travelled after it left the tray?

Offline Tiger

Ouch. That's nasty especially being pinned between two cars like that. Hope he makes a quick recovery.

Any idea how far the Lambo travelled after it left the tray?

No mate I don't know how far the Lambo travelled. It must have been moving fast to push Robs car 12ft though.

The tilt tray owner may have a big insurance claim on his hands both cars were damaged and a serious injury as a result of unloading a car off a tilt tray. 
Roll on summer

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
No mate I don't know how far the Lambo travelled. It must have been moving fast to push Robs car 12ft though.

The tilt tray owner may have a big insurance claim on his hands both cars were damaged and a serious injury as a result of unloading a car off a tilt tray.

MAY have? Was the injured worker an Employee? Was he "on the books" with workcover premium paid up? If not this is a perfect example of "It's ok until it's not ok and then you are well and trully farked".
Lets hope he actually has insurance or he is in for a whole world of pain.

Offline Tiger

MAY have? Was the injured worker an Employee? Was he "on the books" with workcover premium paid up? If not this is a perfect example of "It's ok until it's not ok and then you are well and trully farked".
Lets hope he actually has insurance or he is in for a whole world of pain.

Apparently the injured guy was just an onlooker 
Roll on summer

Offline B2

• Slowest Ferrari Owner

It's a terrible accident.  I hope the guy recovers.  CAMS will change the process of access to these areas in the future.  On Insurance perhaps this may be on CAMS to Scottski.  Not sure if Sean comes on here anymore but he may be able to add some light.

I thought the safety crew on first arrival to an accident would isolate the car first as part of the procedure for recovery?  Is that not why all race cars have the facility to shut the power off externally.

Offline Tiger

It's a terrible accident.  I hope the guy recovers.  CAMS will change the process of access to these areas in the future.  On Insurance perhaps this may be on CAMS to Scottski.  Not sure if Sean comes on here anymore but he may be able to add some light.

I thought the safety crew on first arrival to an accident would isolate the car first as part of the procedure for recovery?  Is that not why all race cars have the facility to shut the power off externally.

Maybe the crew were under pressure to get the car off the mountain and forgot to isolate the car at the time. Tilt tray operator is responsible for his load after that.
Roll on summer

Offline EfiOz

• Ginger beer

Yeah, the fireys should have pulled the master. Drivers often have too much rattling in their head after on off to remember things like turning the car off.

I'm all for the fans getting in amongst it and don't begrudge public access to pit areas one bit. It's what makes a lot of the interest in actually going to an event. But the monumental stupidity I've seen over the years from punters in pit and paddock areas is awesome and would fill a book. People need to appreciate they are in a volatile workplace, not the hospitality box.

Offline scud

• 300kph+ club
  • Rocket man

somehow all volunteers need a crash course in different aspects of race cars, too few know too little. When there's an incident they get panicky, don't stay calm, don't understand what to look for, and a big one is not understanding how much space is needed to turn a car in the direction they want you to go with very little steering lock, and even worse is being give a direction to move, then stop, then move. They have no idea how hard it can be to move a car with the clutches they run. At least at the GP, when we came off the track, we had right of way, not the public, and could get back to the garages quickly. Also they have no idea we can't hear what they are saying with a helmet on and ear plugs. I know they are volunteers and we can't race without them, but they treat us like kids in school, heaps never made school captain and they try to make up for it now.

Offline tdc911

somehow all volunteers need a crash course in different aspects of race cars, too few know too little. When there's an incident they get panicky, don't stay calm, don't understand what to look for, and a big one is not understanding how much space is needed to turn a car in the direction they want you to go with very little steering lock, and even worse is being give a direction to move, then stop, then move. They have no idea how hard it can be to move a car with the clutches they run. At least at the GP, when we came off the track, we had right of way, not the public, and could get back to the garages quickly. Also they have no idea we can't hear what they are saying with a helmet on and ear plugs. I know they are volunteers and we can't race without them, but they treat us like kids in school, heaps never made school captain and they try to make up for it now.

Geez, talk about coming across as unappreciative of the effort the volunteers put in. I think some of the drivers need to see it from the other side of the fence too.

Offline scud

• 300kph+ club
  • Rocket man

Geez, talk about coming across as unappreciative of the effort the volunteers put in. I think some of the drivers need to see it from the other side of the fence too.
no, you need to re-read what I have written and cool your jets.

it's all in the lack of training and a 5 minute video that should be done outlining what it's like from inside the car with full kit on.

Where to stand when you want to talk to the driver, open the door and crouch down, not stand a foot away from the door and yell through the window that can't be wound down.
what we can see and hear from inside the car, what we can't see and hear from inside the car. what we can do and what we can't do.

most volunteers have probably never been inside a race car, with full kit on, having just done a long stint, and getting out of the car after that is at the top of the driver's list of things to do.

I'm not ungrateful but I get the sense that from the top in motor sport, it's drummed in to tear strips off a driver if we put a finger out of place. I've seen it plenty of times. now if you are a well known driver, then there would be a different set of rules perhaps?