Offline M308

• Degranged

• Name: Scott Thomson
I thought I would put this to the people on this sight.
I just heard that Mercedes & BMW are thinking of joining the Australian V8 Supercars in 2012 & was interested in hearing peoples thoughts about this & whether the F1 & European Race car followers would start to follow this form of racing if they did?
Whether it is true or not, lets say it is for arguments sake.
I think this will be an interesting topic & also think it would be the best move for Australian Touring Car Racing in a long, long time :)

Offline Iggy_Type_R

Agree and I'd actually start following it if that was the case... but I highly highly doubt it will happen...  :scratchchin:

Offline jim501

• Idiot Seeking Village

• Name: Cam
Would be great! Can't see it happening really as Mercedes has already said that there will be no factory backing. So you'd be a game privateer to run.

Offline Rickjames

Would be great! Can't see it happening really as Mercedes has already said that there will be no factory backing. So you'd be a game privateer to run.

From what i understand Mercedes won't back a team but AMG might be able to. Very interesting, i think it will make for a great sport. They are doing a new platform of car (CotF- car of the future) and would allow new manufacturers in different engines to be used and a equalisation formula to keep it close.

Bring it on.

P.S i dare say this is more then a rumour as from what i've head some teams have already started talking with AMG and maybe BMW.

Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

Offline Rickjames

^^I hope not. I would rather see teams have to use a Chassis that closely resembles that of the the original  car. Is that how DTM works?

Offline beankeen456

mercedes(germany) wont go in but maybe a local team will, also at the melbourne gp mercedes are showing a Race ready c63 amg, possibly a dtm car

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com
Could make it more relevant...  or at least more interesting.

Is that how DTM works?

Not even nearly.

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
i'd actually follow V8 supercar racing if this happened, There is a massive market out there who are sick of hearing Ford VS Holden, at the end of the day it gets pretty predictable when its only 2 types of cars racing with only 2 types of supporters (both sides of supporters are bogans, what about the rest of the Australian population who has some sought of class)
You can say I'm wrong, but my garage doesn't agree with that statement!!!

Offline dkabab

^^I hope not. I would rather see teams have to use a Chassis that closely resembles that of the the original  car. Is that how DTM works?

im pretty sure the holdens and fords share almost no parts with their road going versions... not even the headlights are the same. the cars are shorter too, the body panels are all different..

id love to see some dtm cars joining the sport... would make me watch it